Sign in to follow this  
Beatle

Defending????

Why is our defence so flippin'' CRAP!!!!!!!

We just gift the opposition goals every game!!!!

Oh for a Bruce/ Watson or Malky/Flem partnership!!!!

As much as I think Ryan Bertrand is a very talented player he was at fault for all 3 goals. He isn''t defending anywhere near well enough.

Was you at the game? Bertrand was man marking No 14 and left repeatedly exposed by Bell he done loads of overlaps in first half and never received ball once.....................hence why no overlaps the 2nd half....Bell needs to have a left foot to play on left!!

[quote user="Positive Yellow"]

Was you at the game? Bertrand was man marking No 14 and left repeatedly exposed by Bell he done loads of overlaps in first half and never received ball once.....................hence why no overlaps the 2nd half....Bell needs to have a left foot to play on left!!

[/quote]yeah, and hooley needs a right foot!!!take note please roedy,,,previous england managers need not reply...hang on - how may FA coaching badges you got before coming out with a bleedin obvious comment like that!!!

If we had those on this forum who continually and religiously defend the current board in our back four.....we wouldn''t have conceded a goal this season....

[quote user="Mello Yello"]If we had those on this forum who continually and religiously defend the current board in our back four.....we wouldn''t have conceded a goal this season....[/quote]Add those who attack Smudger at every opportunity to the attacking line up and we might score some goals as well

I think that the Malky / Fleming coupling was over rated. Matt Jackson was a better player than Malky. The thing that made that pairing good was their understanding and the good full backs they had either side of them. At that time out back four was Drury, Malky, Fleming, Kenton/Nedeergard and ofcourse Green in goal. And at that time there were very few meaner defences in the league.Malky was the weakest link of that defence in that he could defend but was not a great player with the ball at his feet. People complain about hoofball now but I would say he has to be the king of hoofball - you were lucky if a ball from him didn''t come with a bit of ice on it he hit it so high. It was ok though - Iwan could make any hoof look like an intended long ball!

Fair play to defenders like Dejan if you can pass it out brilliant. I still maintain that possibly the best defence i''ve ever known was Arsenal of the mid 90''s. Winterburn Keown Adams Dixon, no nonsense solid as a rock. Effectively a brick wall across the pitch.

In this division you often need a centre back like Malky. Darren Moore  in the same mold not necessarily the best technically but really tough and uncompromising. Matt Jackson was a good player but him and Fleming were basically the same type. In our promotion season Marc Edworthy played right back not Kenton or Nedeergard, not the best technically but another steady player, and Iwan tended not to start to many games that season so there must have been a bit more to it than Iwan making Malky look good. The back four then was also very very experienced something the current one isnt.

It''s about getting players that complement each other we''ve now got Kennedy and Doherty and they both want to do the same thing just as Shackell and Doherty did and we all remember how dodgy that looked, it''s not that either are bad players just that the combination doesnt work.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

In this division you often need a centre back like Malky. Darren Moore  in the same mold not necessarily the best technically but really tough and uncompromising. Matt Jackson was a good player but him and Fleming were basically the same type. In our promotion season Marc Edworthy played right back not Kenton or Nedeergard, not the best technically but another steady player, and Iwan tended not to start to many games that season so there must have been a bit more to it than Iwan making Malky look good. The back four then was also very very experienced something the current one isnt.

It''s about getting players that complement each other we''ve now got Kennedy and Doherty and they both want to do the same thing just as Shackell and Doherty did and we all remember how dodgy that looked, it''s not that either are bad players just that the combination doesnt work.

[/quote]

The primary problem isn''t the centre backs,although the chopping and changing there hasn''t helped.Certainly losing Dejan is a blow for both his experience and his left footedness. I believe the two biggest issues are Marshall''s indecision when crosses come in, and the fact that none of our fullbacks, with the possible exception of Drury,are good defenders.Omosuzi has been a nightmare and both Semmy and Bertrand are good going forward, but rubbish positionally.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[/quote]

The primary problem isn''t the centre backs,although the chopping and changing there hasn''t helped.Certainly losing Dejan is a blow for both his experience and his left footedness. I believe the two biggest issues are Marshall''s indecision when crosses come in, and the fact that none of our fullbacks, with the possible exception of Drury,are good defenders.Omosuzi has been a nightmare and both Semmy and Bertrand are good going forward, but rubbish positionally.

[/quote]

I understand your point, it''s sort of what i was trying to say just didnt do it very well. but i still think there is a prob at centre back what you want is a covering centre back and a centre back who attacks the ball (i.e Doherty or Kennedy). Neither Drury or Edworthy were very good at going forward but they both had alot of experience and new how to defend above all else, as you say Semmy and Bertand are very suspect defensively. Omuzusi doesnt bear think about. Marshall is imo ok, he''s no Green though.