Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Do we need relegation to cure our ills ?

The facts are :-

We are only, at best, going to struggle in this league.

We can not afford players of the calibre needed for success in the Championship.

We have a manager of proven inability at any level.

The young players we produce, it seems, are only good enough for the lower leagues.

Therefore we will be ideally suited for life in League I, and we will be able to keep our youngsters and have OUR OWN players and not the unwanted surplus of other clubs. Link these with a young Manager of some repute instead of a talking-no-doing custodian.

We would have a perfect platform to rebuild our wonderful club to yesteryears glory.

Not a very palatable solution I know, but the most painful remedies often turn out to be the best.

Considering we usually lose to teams we consider to be poorer than ourselves, I''d actually be rather worried about competing in the divison below, I certainly wouldnt be confident about coming straight back up.

Debts, no potential buyers.  If the ''R'' word happens, we''ll start on minus points.  I reckon administration beckons.

Will the last one out turn off the lights?

Unless there was a change in the boardroom it would be a disaster.

It would not be many months before we began to hear "we can''t compete with Hartlepool/Huddersfield/Leyton Orient".

Our problems are not just down to money. 

[quote user="Potless Percy "]

Unless there was a change in the boardroom it would be a disaster.

It would not be many months before we began to hear "we can''t compete with Hartlepool/Huddersfield/Leyton Orient".

Our problems are not just down to money. 

[/quote]

Totally agree.  I''ve been banging on for ages now to get that useless tw*t Roeder out.  And he can take his useless coaching staff with him.

It''s now time for the fans to let Roeder know vocally at home and away that he is about as wanted as a fart in an astronauts suit.

I am coming around to the idea that if it means building OUR OWN TEAM and getting grass roots football back to Carrow road then yes its worth the drop.Because the the alternative is year after year of patchwork loan teams and crys aout not being able to compete from the board.  If we go down we strip out the shit and start again.

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

The facts are :-

We are only, at best, going to struggle in this league.

We can not afford players of the calibre needed for success in the Championship.

We have a manager of proven inability at any level.

The young players we produce, it seems, are only good enough for the lower leagues.

Therefore we will be ideally suited for life in League I, and we will be able to keep our youngsters and have OUR OWN players and not the unwanted surplus of other clubs. Link these with a young Manager of some repute instead of a talking-no-doing custodian.

We would have a perfect platform to rebuild our wonderful club to yesteryears glory.

Not a very palatable solution I know, but the most painful remedies often turn out to be the best.

[/quote]

you buy league one, you get league one, e.g otsemobor, clingan,

start the season with no target man at all, well no strikers, cureton''s legs have gone

invest most cash on a player with a doof ankle and a dwarf

get loads of unfit / not good enough loans to unsteady the ship#

start with two centre halves that have never played before, one old, both not match sharp or experienced of champ.

oh and get rid of shackell- ''he''s left footed, 6''4''''- knows this league'' -says a laughing mick mccarthy

its all going wrong Mr. Roeder

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Sadly Jim, yes.[/quote]

I can understand why people are thinking this but in my opinion it would turn what is currently an unacceptably poor situation into a potential disaster. If we are barely keeping our financial heads above water on a monthly basis (interest payments on our enormous debt) despite our income stream being as high as it''s ever likely to be in this league, then presumably we''re going to find it nigh on impossible to find the money if playing in the 3rd division.  If we don''t make the payments then I guess we would go bust.  We know from other clubs'' experiences that nowadays the points deduction that goes along with that would mean a further relegation would be almost unavoidable.  Look at Luton - not that many years ago that they were in the top flight (horrible phrase - let''s call it the First Division) and will be playing in the Conference next season.  If we get relegated (as I fear we will) then we could easily be in that situation in another couple of years.

Relegation would be a disaster. We would stagnate in league 1 much like we have in this league since the mid ''90''s. It would be a long time till we return to the position we are at now.

No matter how bad things are now relegation would be a complete and utter disaster in my opinion. League one obsecurity does not bare thinking about. A few weeks back I was of the opinion that getting rid of Roeder without a change in the boardroom would not solve anything. Times have changed. In order to give the team a "shot in the arm" Roeder needs to go now and we might just avoid the drop. It is working for Notts F so why not us?

Hmm,

Well Forumites, six months ago when I raised this issue it was a hypothetical possibility, now it is reality are the plus points I raised valid do you think ? ? ? ?

Hmmm, note the date !

And only my east coast neighbor "Wiz"  agreed with me at the time !

Just shows how wise and perceptive us oldies can be eh ?   [;)]

But had we not appointed McNally and in turn Lambert would we be out of this division now?Failure to win promotion this season would have left us in an almost irrepairable position, would that have been good for the club?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]But had we not appointed McNally and in turn Lambert would we be out of this division now?

Failure to win promotion this season would have left us in an almost irrepairable position, would that have been good for the club?
[/quote]

We''d have been screwed.

If McNally had not been appointed I very much doubt promotion would have been talked about around the board table, let alone amongst supporters. No McNally, no Lambert, and carry on with Gunn. It doesn''t bear thinking about.

There were many reasons we dropped to League One in the first place. Those responsible had no chance of redemption without a massive change in attitude and action.

Change had to come, and thankfully it did. With dramatic effect.

Quite so,

But what prompted this to happen then ? 

Wasn''t it was being relegated that shook everyone to the core ? So management and supporters alike realised that radical measures needed to be taken and the same-old same-old had to go out the window.

Had we survived by the skin of our teeth it would have been accepted by the board that it was OK to carry on the way we had been. Neil Doncaster would still be dishing out his rhetoric, long interview processes would be carried out to appoint yet another proven failure for a new manager and we would have been signing worn out loanees by the dozen. Young players like Martin, Smith, Spillane, Rudd and Adeyami would never have got a look in at first team football.

I submit that relegation gave the kick up the backside that prompted all of the good that has happened and that we are a better club because of it.

If you can''t appreciate my say so then  note that the legend Iwan Roberts has come out to back me up this morning with the very same sentiment.[H]

Right I back to retirement now, leave you all in peace.[:D]

A right on the money post, that has been more that true to it''s word. Thanks Mr Jim, and this is why the posters on this message board miss you. Wishing you the best.

Well you were spot on Jim. It was just as you said. And the relegation put an end to the "sticking plaster approach" of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow''s ear. Now the club is on the up once more.

You and I have seen ups and downs over the years and the trick is to enjoy the good times but not take them for granted. I would just like to endorse the comments from Inchy, Leeds and Fellas because the Free Bet is a poorer place without you.

Yup, Jim was right. BUT, remember, there were no guarantees. It could just as easily have resulted in another crap manager & disappearance down the toilet for ever - or a long, long time, until the great wheel of fortune turned again ...Sing Hallelujah that it worked!

There''s absolutely no telling what would''ve happened to us had we remained in the Championship, so I wouldn''t be so quick to brag if I were you. Look at Forest, Blackpool and Barnsley for instance. They didn''t have the best of seasons but this term has seen marked improvements (especially in the case of the first two). Who''s to say we wouldn''t still have gotten McNally on board? Who''s to say we wouldn''t still have roped in Paul Lambert as manager if that were the case too, given their Celtic connection? Who''s to say we couldn''t have done a Blackpool?By the same token, we could''ve been stagnant once again. But to be perfectly honest I think dragging up this old thread proves nothing.

I think that barring one or two stand out teams (Newcastle for example) the rest in the champ are much of a muchness and because there is a cigarette paper between them luck and confidence can make a HUGE difference. A reasonable team can go down and a fairly average one makes the playoffs....that is the nature of the beast and we need to hope we start well- it seems to be linked to success at this level

Agree to disagree. Howeveer. Why have we been so successful this season? For me it started in the boardroom, the appointment of mcnally was a massive turning point for the club. And he immediately solved a major problem at the club, the lack of any conpetent manager over the past several seasons. From that point on ncfc have been looking up and not down, and that is marked change from the ambition the club had shown under doncaster.

I think it was no suprise that we managed to do it, even if I had my resevations at times. And more importantly I, and I bet many others, have found their love for ncfc again. Last year, after 10 years of going, I was starting to feel tired of the club, but now I look forward to matchdays again, and I''m sure that feeling is felt by all those involved with the club too.