Sign in to follow this  
ellis206

Why is Delia the scapegoat?

I''m interested to know why everyone hates Delia so much even though she has pumped £12 million of her own money into the club, attends every home and away game, and even gave up her career as a tv chef to concentrate on Norwich City, I know we aren''t performing as we should at the moment (away from home anyway) but I want to know why its Delia who gets blamed for everything and not our actual chairman who will have a lot more say in what happens in the club than Delia Smith, surely Roger Munby will make the final decisions on everything that happens, so is it because Delia is a woman? (as MWJ''s doesn''t get the same abuse) or is it because she is a celebrity? I''m not looking to have an argument with anyone I just want to know why people  hate her and not Munby?

People don''t hate her Ellis.

But it''s a hard world out there, and the buck stops at the top.

Munby is paid by the majority shareholders to do the Chairman job because they don''t fancy it themselves. That''s all.

Do you seriously think that Roger would last two ticks in the job if he did not do the bidding of the MSs?

Ellis, just face the truth and much will fall in place. It has all to do with persistent failure and, more recently, the apparent unwillingness to accept significant inward investment from a man of Norfolk - and little to do with hate (as you put it).

And it would help a great deal if the MSs would come clean with the supporters and lay all bare on the table. People don''t like being kept in the dark about things that they love. They feel impotent and maybe angry - but all of that is a far way from hate.

One love.

To the world.

OTBC

And I dont... I think they''ve done a great job in the current climate, the lack of specific allegations is completely out of balance with the criticism they get on here

Long may they reign.... and yes I do have serious issues about Cullum and his leeches

Elllis, I am assuming you are basing your feelings on a few things you read on here? I know plenty of people who don''t like what she''s done or doing at the club, but on a personal level I think hate is a pretty strong emotion to feel for someone most of us have never met, or have any connection with apart from the fact she "owns" our football club.

She is a fan, no doubt, but sadly a misguided one. Amongst the all too brief success there has been a longer and more significant chain of events leading to where we are now , which is abject failure. People get stale and complacent. I think she''s had her day personally, but as she holds the key, we have to wait for her to find a suitable investor so she can relinquish the responsibility and power to someone else. I am not at all sure she really wants to let go, but events have conspired to make it inevitable should she want any return on her investment. Relegation would mean she is unlikely to retrieve much of her original investment.

She gets the blame simply because she''s in charge and is able to change things. Roger Munby is her appointed Chairman, her employee if you like. So he does things she asks of him. I am sure the fact she''s a woman might annoy some, but I don''t think it''s particularly relevant. She''s a celebrity, which works both ways, she''s brought attention to the club - but this can work for and against us, as it has done.

Ultimately it''s down to her to sort the club out , she can appoint every manager or Chief Executive in the game, but it''s down to her in the end.

I dont Hate her, I just believe that she took the club as far as she could about 3 years ago, the club has slowly gone stale under her. at the end of the day in any business the buck stops at the top, you can sack the odd manager here and there and get a bit of breathing space but it just papers over the cracks. I thank her for what she has done but she has passed her sell by date, and I hope she leaves before she becomes a hate figure like Chase did, and this is slowly starting to happen.

I think many people are beginning to dislike her because of the state she has allowed the club to get in before supposedly now seeking investment. Those among us who were prepared to take the yellow and green tinted specs off have known for at least 3 years that without investment this club would only go one way and it sure wasn''t in an upward direction.

Many mistakes have been made in the appointment of managers and it looks like Roeder could well be another in a long list of bad managerial appointments by the board, although to be fair to him he has been working with his hands tied behind his back but that doesn''t explain his policy of playing players out of position.

It isn''t her fault that she isn''t rich enough to take us to where we want to be but for me she has made a mistake in hanging on far to long because she wasn''t ready to sell up and we are really suffering for that now.

I don''t hate Delia but I can''t say I''m particularly fond of the woman either, I have never particularly liked her from when she used to be forever on tv in the 70''s when I was a kid.

[quote user="ellis206"]attends every home and away game, and even gave up her career as a tv chef to concentrate on Norwich City[/quote]

She doesnt attend every game mate, and she had a tv show last year,. No offence but you do seem rather blind to the state of our club.

I dont hate Delia but as has been said on here, its a Business, and a business that is heading in the wrong direction.. normally the owners sell up and cut their losses.. allowing a new man (or woman) to come forward...

the smiths have pumped lots of money into the football club over time, and we thank them for it.. but the club has gone as far as it can under their leadership and its now time for them to stand down.... the league table and performances dont lie Ellis.. and im sure even you must realise, deep down, that it is time for change....

jas :)

[quote]I dont hate Delia but as has been said on here, its a Business, and a business that is heading in the wrong direction.. normally the owners sell up and cut their losses.. allowing a new man (or woman) to come forward...[/quote]

It''s not really a business though, never has been.  It''s more of a status symbol for rich business people - a way of giving back to a community while showing the world what you''ve become.  The problem is that to compete, you have to give back more than anyone on our board can afford.  This is the fault of the FA for not imposing wage caps and auctioning off TV rights to the highest bidder, some of the richest men in the world for taking an interest at the highest level, and very greedy players and agents who are out for all they can get. 

The board have tried very hard to make NCFC a working business, but anyone who tries to make a football club work without making a loss may as well try and get the moon on a stick or water to run up-hill.  Madejski at Reading has also tried to make his club work financially, and he has been very lucky to have Steve Coppell in charge, and apparently a decent scouting team aswell, or they would also be championship also-rans. 

[quote user="IBA"]And I dont... I think they''ve done a great job in the current climate, the lack of specific allegations is completely out of balance with the criticism they get on here Long may they reign.... and yes I do have serious issues about Cullum and his leeches[/quote]

If that is your opinion then fair enough but if Delia remains in charge we will end up getting relegated followed closely by administration.

For me wanting Delia to remain in charge of the club is surely admitting that you don''t care if we end up in League 1 and most likely staying there.

In football it is almost impossible to compete without money nowadays and Delia doesn''t have enough of it.

[quote user="thecanaryfan wants the board out"]

Because on 28 Feb 2005 she embarrassed herself and made a mockery of the club.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8JLkwzpd0

Oh and she rejected an investment offer of £20m at a time when the club was on its knees.

[/quote]

How embarresing! You have to ask yourself, would she have done that had the game not been Llve on sky tv?

Ellis, you are easily pleased, if you can not see whtis hapening to our club with the publicity seeking drunken cook in charge. 24, 000 plus every home game, so called of the field enterprises which are supposedly making us miilions of pounds, players sold for millions and replaced by loanees, yet we are deeper and deeper in debt.

prudence with ambition, my ar*e.

I still point to the fact that of their 10+ years in charge we have had two decent seasons in total...the play-off year and the promotion year...that isn''t a good statistic even more so when they have been pumping lots of their own lovely investment in the club.

Let''s remember some of those last 10 seasons:

Walker''s second season in charge...we were abysmal

In comes Bryan Hamilton...we were abysmal

Worthy turns it around for 3 years then

we had two abysmal starts under him.

Grant comes in...what a joke possibly the worst of the lot

Now we have Roeder and after a decent run through last winter we get to the next October...and what happens? Yet again we are dire!

The only constant in all of this is those at the very top! So however you look at it, they have to have played a big part in all this.

We are a club with no leadership!

[quote user="ellis206"]I''m interested to know why everyone hates Delia so much even though she has pumped £12 million of her own money into the club, attends every home and away game, and even gave up her career as a tv chef to concentrate on Norwich City, I know we aren''t performing as we should at the moment (away from home anyway) but I want to know why its Delia who gets blamed for everything and not our actual chairman who will have a lot more say in what happens in the club than Delia Smith, surely Roger Munby will make the final decisions on everything that happens, so is it because Delia is a woman? (as MWJ''s doesn''t get the same abuse) or is it because she is a celebrity? I''m not looking to have an argument with anyone I just want to know why people  hate her and not Munby?[/quote]It''s called cyber-bullying, and it''s a modern phenomenon. It''s a lot less demanding of the bully, who doesn''t actually have to get anywhere near their victim. And that''s one reason why it''s even more contemptible than the old sort.

[quote user="Old Boy"][quote user="ellis206"]I''m interested to know why everyone hates Delia so much even though she has pumped £12 million of her own money into the club, attends every home and away game, and even gave up her career as a tv chef to concentrate on Norwich City, I know we aren''t performing as we should at the moment (away from home anyway) but I want to know why its Delia who gets blamed for everything and not our actual chairman who will have a lot more say in what happens in the club than Delia Smith, surely Roger Munby will make the final decisions on everything that happens, so is it because Delia is a woman? (as MWJ''s doesn''t get the same abuse) or is it because she is a celebrity? I''m not looking to have an argument with anyone I just want to know why people  hate her and not Munby?
[/quote]
It''s called cyber-bullying, and it''s a modern phenomenon. It''s a lot less demanding of the bully, who doesn''t actually have to get anywhere near their victim. And that''s one reason why it''s even more contemptible than the old sort.
[/quote]

Oh i would love to live in your world where my head would be burried in sand....sounds lovely!

There are about 18 other clubs with similar pretentions to Norwich. As football is a complex game involving many variables of  chance there is a certain range of different  outcomes likely within a probable range which is largely defined by availablity of finance. Of course there are actions which will likely improve your odds but probability suggests some years we will be challenging at the top of the league and some some years struggling at the bottom. ie our results will lie within a normal distribution. Alternatively if you are simple minded you can blame one individual or event as it makes a complex world simpler to understand for simple human minds.

[quote user="T"]There are about 18 other clubs with similar pretentions to Norwich. As football is a complex game involving many variables of  chance there is a certain range of different  outcomes likely within a probable range which is largely defined by availablity of finance. Of course there are actions which will likely improve your odds but probability suggests some years we will be challenging at the top of the league and some some years struggling at the bottom. ie our results will lie within a normal distribution. Alternatively if you are simple minded you can blame one individual or event as it makes a complex world simpler to understand for simple human minds.[/quote]

One word...pompus!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="T"]There are about 18 other clubs with similar pretentions to Norwich. As football is a complex game involving many variables of  chance there is a certain range of different  outcomes likely within a probable range which is largely defined by availablity of finance. Of course there are actions which will likely improve your odds but probability suggests some years we will be challenging at the top of the league and some some years struggling at the bottom. ie our results will lie within a normal distribution. Alternatively if you are simple minded you can blame one individual or event as it makes a complex world simpler to understand for simple human minds.[/quote]

One word...pompus!

[/quote]

Seconded

Were you trying to say pompous as in magnificent /splendid?

Why is is that those still thinking Smith and Jones can do no wrong choose to ignore the facts??

Read my post at the top of this page!!

Ah so you were trying to say "pompus" as in too complex for the brain to comprehend so revert to illiterate abuse with no sense of humour or awareness it was a wind-up with may be a serious point worthy of consideration?

Quote user = whoareyou?

Why is is that those still thinking Smith and Jones can do no wrong choose to ignore the facts??

Read my post at the top of this page!!

Because those lovers of Delia and MWJ have to ignore the facts otherwise they would have to reconsider their position!  I cannot see how anyone can still defend them unconditionally.

I would say our aim as a club should be mid table with a play off challenge at present, I would say there are about 10-12 clubs with similar aims, not as much as 18.  We are clearly failing completely in that aim and have been for probably 3 years, how many seasons would you accept us just avoiding relegation?  How long will it be until we fail to avoid it and then sink into the precipice that is League 1?

You can spout as much pretentious rubbish as you like, does not change the fact that this club is failing from the top to the bottom and I cannot see any improvement without a change at the very top.

[quote user="T"]Ah so you were trying to say "pompus" as in too complex for the brain to comprehend so revert to illiterate abuse with no sense of humour or awareness it was a wind-up with may be a serious point worthy of consideration?[/quote]

Grow up smart arse!

...I do appreciate an intellectual debate with someone with a sense of humour but sometimes you just have to settle for someone who  is easy to wind up.