Sign in to follow this  
alex_ncfc

Pivotal moments in the last 3-4 years...

...that have been caused by a win just when the fans were beginning to lose patience - thus making a lot of the head in the sand brigade thinking that we have turned some sort of corner. Shall we list them?

I remember Southampton in the Prem, there was a lot of build up to that one. Then we won the game and suddenly we were "off and running" apparently.

Cardiff the following season. All hell was going to let loose had we lost that home game. But sure enough we won by the flukiest of OGs - and that was that - e i e i e i, up the football league we go, and all that shite. Yet that season turned out well for the title favourites didn''t it?

I''m sure there are numerous other occasions since then.

What I''m saying is we really need to get this all moving, and we can''t allow a lucky win over Preston to change the way we think - well, that wouldn''t be a case for a lot of us anyway - but I just know for some, if we do win against PNE, then the playoffs are a formality.

That''s very true - how things could have turned out had we signed him (or a striker who knew what a goal was) at the start of that season.

But mainly talking here about games which we have won which have suddenly convinced the fans we are world beaters, despite losing the previous 5, and therefore taking the heat off the board.

Worthy''s 5 match winning run in December 2005 being another case in point. He was looking destined for the sack, then suddenly we''re playoff material to many. Although to be honest, what we would give for a 9th placed finish this season...

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

That''s very true - how things could have turned out had we signed him (or a striker who knew what a goal was) at the start of that season.

But mainly talking here about games which we have won which have suddenly convinced the fans we are world beaters, despite losing the previous 5, and therefore taking the heat off the board.

Worthy''s 5 match winning run in December 2005 being another case in point. He was looking destined for the sack, then suddenly we''re playoff material to many. Although to be honest, what we would give for a 9th placed finish this season...

[/quote]at this minute i would take any finishing place apart from the bottom 3

[quote user="top the league and we avin a laugh"]

sale of rob earnshaw

never really replaced him since we a permanant 15-20 goal man

[/quote]

Agreed. Although we were in a downward spiral when he was here, and he''s hardly setting the league alight at Forest.

But only Norwich would replace a player of Earnie''s quality with an ageing journeyman who had one lucky season under his belt and said "I want to go back to Norwich" - would we have been interested otherwise? Hell no. As soon as he muttered those words in the press, the Norwich board thought "cheap option" - as per usual.

Sorry folks you all talk about pivotal moments , Ashton was a pivotal moment and yes we would have stayed up had we signed Ashton.

But the real pivotal moment was the not signing of Peter Crouch from Aston Villa after his loan spell, Villa wanted 2 million, we couldnt afford it, so Southampton stepped in with 2 million and the rest is history, it was a gamble that couldnt fail, players like that will always re-coup their transfer fee, Southampton had a hatful of goals out of him and 8 million profit, we once again need to show the ambition from 4-5 yrs ago and push the boat out.

i say a bigger mistake would have been not turning up vs fulham than ashton

who to say ashton wouldnt got injured? or started of on form. yes most likely scenerio is that you would have picked up some more points, but you cant garuntee it would have. whilst if you turned up vs fulham and got the win you would have stayed up

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]

Sorry folks you all talk about pivotal moments , Ashton was a pivotal moment and yes we would have stayed up had we signed Ashton.

But the real pivotal moment was the not signing of Peter Crouch from Aston Villa after his loan spell, Villa wanted 2 million, we couldnt afford it, so Southampton stepped in with 2 million and the rest is history, it was a gamble that couldnt fail, players like that will always re-coup their transfer fee, Southampton had a hatful of goals out of him and 8 million profit, we once again need to show the ambition from 4-5 yrs ago and push the boat out.

[/quote]It didn''t really do Southampton much good in the long run did it

No your right it didnt do Southampton much good ,but do you not think had we been promoted with Crouch and started with him in the prem season that we wouldnt have had such a lousy start?

I mean playing Docherty up front for 3 months on the back of his equalizer at Newcastle, Sound familiar ? Just like Roeder is now, Russell and Sibierski are midfielders- end of, if we had no other options then fine try one up front you never know but when Lupoli and Koroma are kicking their heels in the stand it makes no sense at all.

Had we stayed up we could have built, yes had we bought Crouch, Liverpool may have come and bought him from us for 10 million but we probably would have been safe by then, in the prem for another year, more income, i know its all ifs but i really feel if we had pushed out the boat at the time, this message board might just be a happier place than it currently is 

Pivotal moment was that pr1ck andy johnson diving at the crystal palace away match, 3-1 up then went 3-2, then with not long left, the cheating scum bag does a front flip, thos 2 points we lost that day were the difference, although i suppose you could say that about anything that goes wrong "if only that had happened"

Yes Bob i agree, but had we already had Crouch i dont think losing the two points at Palace would have mattered, we would have been mid table !!!

Beating wolves 5-2 could have done more damage than you would believe.If we had lost that night our postion now would be terrible.The fans would have a real right to demand change,but as it is roeder and the board will keep harking back to "how well we can play" and we will be fobbed off for another season.How many people on this board realise we have only won 7 games in the last 28 under roeder

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]

No your right it didnt do Southampton much good ,but do you not think had we been promoted with Crouch and started with him in the prem season that we wouldnt have had such a lousy start?

I mean playing Docherty up front for 3 months on the back of his equalizer at Newcastle, Sound familiar ? Just like Roeder is now, Russell and Sibierski are midfielders- end of, if we had no other options then fine try one up front you never know but when Lupoli and Koroma are kicking their heels in the stand it makes no sense at all.

Had we stayed up we could have built, yes had we bought Crouch, Liverpool may have come and bought him from us for 10 million but we probably would have been safe by then, in the prem for another year, more income, i know its all ifs but i really feel if we had pushed out the boat at the time, this message board might just be a happier place than it currently is 

[/quote] Letting Malky and Iwan go..........Massive losses on and off the pitch.