Sign in to follow this  
Yellow since 1977

My wife's a Burnley fan....

Had a trip up to Burnley at the weekend to visit my wifes family and of course see the game. I have taken so much mickey taking that I am glad to be back in Norwich.

We had no passion, no idea and it was probably our strongest side apart from Sibieski. I am not sure where we go from here.

I was talking to some Burnley fans after the game in the pub and they can''t beleiev we get 25K+ every week, got a great ground ( Burnley is a dump), great away support and we are struggling to make ends meet. There were just over 11k at Turf Moor on saturday yet they really look like play off contenders,how do they do it and we can''t

I am trying to stay positive but it''s starting to get worrying.

how do they do it and we cant...great question...only delia and co know the answer

all my positivity is gone and i now know we are going to be in a religation fight...it saddens me

Theyve done it through producing a player good enough to sell (Lafferty) and use the proceeds to make a squad.

Horrible, dingy little town, horrible dingy little ground with no seats, no fans, yet good football! very good football, score flatered us.

11k yet they played us off the park. Explain that one Doncaster?

Time for change; fundamental change.

It''s a bit like being nasty to your grandparents, but we have to force D&M out.

No regime lasts forever. They should have gone in the summer, at the very latest. It''s just getting silly now. If it was not for Carl Moore we would be bottom - FACT.

Not just worrying, deeply embarrassing. The facts that a club with smaller gate receipts and no recent excursion into the Premiership are doing better than us needs examination.

Good for Burnley quite frankly. Maybe they have stuck to a better business plan, have a better and more focused Board of Directors and a tactically astute manager. They certainly have a better team (even if we have a good one on paper).

I hope the pennies are starting to drop in the boardroom, but probably not. No doubt they are still entirely focusing on the performances of merit this season against Brum and Wolves and neglecting the more dismal episodes.

We will soon find out. November 11th, when they have to present some sort of credible account to the Shareholders.

Player for player we had a team on Saturday at least as good as Burnley. The problem was Burnley played like a team. We had 11 individuals who had no direction or leadership. We looked a totally dissorganised rabble.

Player for Player, we did not match Burnley not one bit. They could have had 6, we had 1 shot on target.

Where has this delusion come that we have a good side on paper??

Burnley are apparently bankrolled by a wealthy backer who simply picks up the tab for their wage bill every week as almost all their total income goes out of the door in wages. This was what we were told by ND anyway. Forest are similar (which is how they bought Earnie), not that it''s doing them much good so far this season!  

Unfortunately, the comparison with clubs such as these can be somewhat flawed due to the cash backing that they seem to have. Mind you the key is what will happen to them when these backers eventually decide to rein in the spending?? According to the Mail on Sunday, even the Russian at Chelski is now starting to cut back the mad spending.   

I suppose the key thing is what other sides in our league are NOT similarly funded and who may be doing better than us??  

We have a capable side, or they should be CD. The fact they are not a good team is down to motivation by the manager. They can play well (as in recent games against Wolves and Brum). The fact that these are looking more like blips rather than a pattern is deeply worrying. I am not saying we have a promotion side, far from it, but the players we have in our squad, all of them, are capable of better - they just need some better direction, tactics and determination.

If he hadn''t of "gone to the press" (taken a call from the EDP after Delia gobbed off at the Norfolk Show) then the board would still be feeding us lies about no-one being interested in the club.

Mark my words, Delia is done for.

Realistically we havnt, Non of the players we have on loan are good young prospects, non will play for their ''parent'' clubs. Lita obviously isnt wanted at Reading, Sibs will never play in the Prem again. Kennedy wont play for Celtic again, OJ wont get a sniff at Pompy if he cant make our first 16, Same with Lupoli.

Croft, Hoolahan, Fozzy and Russell are awful and would not get in the side of any team above us.

Remember when we have produced/developed players, Fox, Eadie, Sutton, Bellamy, Ashton, Earnshaw and sold them on. Not one player in our squad could we sell for more than £500,000.

I well remember the Foxes and Suttons CD and agree none of our present side would make it into the team of 91-94. And that''s being generous and stretching it a couple of years either way.

I don''t really think we developed Earnshaw too much, he was basically the finished item when he came here, though of course he made an impact. I think (please don''t laugh) that we might get 500k for Marshall, but admittedly beyond that we would be lucky.

Back to the loan players, Bertrand will one day play in the Premiership, though maybe not at his present club, the rest I would agree with. However we will have to stick with them for the time being, as Roeder isn''t going to use any of our supplementary squad, they are all loaned off to League One clubs, presumably hoping to attract offers.