Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Why not Huckerby for England?

Come on then, is this such a bad idea, or is it a good idea.

Surely if Huckerby goes on playing like he started on Saturday, why not? He has scored at EVERY level he has played at.

What do you think?

because if he did we would lose him to a big club- Hucks would then feel unsettled, languish in reserves and no none would benefit??

Or maybe I should have more faith in Norwich being able to keep high profile players!!?

Why not? - fashion, lack of imagination, inertia, prejudice, on the part of the England set-up. There can''t be any other answer (and the same applies to Chris Sutton). I hope that this season, playing against the top sides, Hux will show that all the stuff about "just a lower league showboater" is rubbish.

Sven isn''t afraid to pick players from ''unfashionable clubs'', so maybe if hucks performs this season Sven will give him a try.

Sven has made many mistakes, but at least the days of all england players having to come form the big teams are gone.

Really? Funny how Smith starts a game now he''s at Manure, and Kirkland is in the squad.......don''t be so sure about that, yes he picks one or two from the ''less fashionable clubs'', but not many.......

well Tufnell Parek canary,

Of this is so, robert green would not have been picked a while back..........

I cant see aproblem with the idea. England need a left midfielder, instead of playing a rightsided on the left (hargreeves, gerrard etc.). Huckerby could go on to be a star, but at his age i reckon he will finish his career with the club.

If, sorry, WHEN the Huck has a blinding year I can see him getting an England call up! Wow, can you imagine! I won''t get the p**s taken out of me then for having Huckerby on the back of my England shirt! I don''t care though, I love my England shirt!

Keep the faith

i''m not sure that you read my post correctly. That greeno was picked last season proves my point - sven will pick whoever he wants - even if they play for norwich and / or outside the prem.

I think sven has picked kirkland so he can have a look at him, just as he did with greeno - he isn''t favouring kirkland because he is a liverpool player.

Smith is there not because he plays for man utd, but because he deserves to be - he was also picked when playing up front for leeds.

If he does I''ll eat my hat. Its no disrespect to Hux, but look at what Sven has tried to do - Scholes on the left wing ????????????? Bridge in front of Cole seemed a reasonable idea, but he tried it once and never again - what? If he can''t pluck up the courage, or hasn''t the nouse to try Joe Cole there, or Thompson of Celtic then Hux hasn''t a hope.

I would guess that Bentley has more of a chance than Hux this season (and yes I know he is still considered U21 material).

Have to agree Templeton - I too was going to make the exact same point about Smith - Sven only picks from the same 3 or 4 clubs - which means players like Owen, Gerrard, Butt, P. Neville, Heskey are on sinecures - always there on reputation not form. As for the problem left side of midfield - it always amazes me how Sven could continually overlook Gareth Barry of Villa - surely one of the best English left midfield players IMHO. I really thought that things had to change after our dismal Euro 2004 - but what do I see - the same lot that let us down - AGAIN.

ok, ok, so I agree players get in the eng squad on reputation, despite the need for new faces and that sven has his favourites. However, sven is not afraid to pick rubbish player from average sides as other eng managers have been. Who could forget when he played Chris Powell from Charlton?

Fair play Sven, you nutcase.

i would love to see hucks given a go on the left there, although i wont make judgement to wether he is good enough untill ive seen him take on gary neville a few times!!!!

Definitly agree about having him out on the left, as i suggested in a post a few months back. The main problems is that Norwich need to be doing well for him to get in the team. Sven, and most England managers in the past tend to pick players from a select group of about 5 teams. The problem he''ll have is that people may say that it is Norwich that makes Huckerby look better than he actually is. The best player I have ever seen gained few international caps for this exact reason - Matt LeTissier

I think the answer to this question is.......... YES !! ....... Hucks could do the business for England .......... in spades ! ......... so why has he not been picked ? ........ well , going back a few years , poor old Hucks has had the misfortune to be playing for teams " managed " by prats ! .......... prats who couldn`t get to grips with a " wild card " like Huckerby ........ they had neither the intelligence or nous to grasp what they had ......... this being so it figures they would go on to give negative reports to England managers .............. thats my reading of the situation .

I want Hucks to punch holes in the ego`s of these , so called , managers this season !

Vlad - he tried Thompson , he was rubbish.

But I agree I can see Bentley playing there before Hux unless Hux scores 25 goals plus this year.

Which game if any do we reckon old Sven will come to FCR? Arsenal at home? Chelsea?

Just a thought.