Sign in to follow this  
Dion Dublin=Legend

Yesterday's game - Dion Dublin=Legend's report

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Ellis, I have tried to understand your points of view in the past, but this is really too much. We (the fans) have been terrible for the past three years? I wonder, and maybe I am being a trifle dense here, but if you could please enlighten me, what exactly have we (all 24,000 of us) had to sing and cheer and raise the roof about, exactly? That three years being this one, I presume, when we almost reached the dizzy heights of mid table (or was it even above that lofty position) for what was it, over a week? Last year, cemented to the bottom of the league (oh and just above) for the entire season, eventually finishing just above the relegation zone. The season before, was that the one when we were still in mourning for the Premiership? Forgive me, I have quite a few underachieving seasons to choose from don''t I? So, fans as a whole (you don''t emphasise whether you are labelling us all enmasse) have expected immediate promotion. Immediate. Okay since we were relegated back in the mid 90s (that''s a while ago) we have experienced promotion ONCE. I don''t think there is ONE fan who expected immediate promotion. A promotion within 20 years maybe, if we are lucky. Carrow Road a library. I don''t know how old you are Ellis, but it''s not a new phenomenon. Carrow Road has not always been the loudest ground in the world, even during more successful times, and it''s definitely suffered since the introduction of compulsory seating. As for your friend the Derby fan, fine, let him think what he likes, their new stadium (and atmosphere) isn''t a patch on their old ground. Do you spot a familiar theme? We have a regular crowd of 24,000 plus, despite many years of failure to gain promotion, of little to cheer past Christmas, despite many managers leaving and their transfer dealings ins and outs of many players, some good, some not so good. We have had the dire sight of a drunken majority shareholder on the pitch asking where we were and now this. Some of us have given up and won''t suffer any longer. I have read posts from people who have supported the club since the 50s and 60s saying they can take no more. Is this an indication of fans demanding promotion, of having unrealistic expectations, or rather long suffering fans not knowing how to manage their pain and frustration in seeing their club being mis managed and left to die. I tell you Ellis, (along with many other long suffering supporters on here) Norwich City FC should be eternally grateful we turn up at all. We are pretty unique in this division, considering the past three years. How many other clubs could count on this level of support (however loud) during a sustained period of not only poor results, but little of no decent football along with it. Frankly I think most of us long suffering supporters deserve medals for turning up at all. What do I expect Ellis? I expect the Board to appoint astute people to manage the money we do have and to seek investment. I expect the manager to deliver sound tactics, to motivate the team and play the best player for each position and to remedy mistakes. I expect each and every player to know what the shirt means and to give his best. IF we the fans could generate an atmosphere like we used to. It sometimes takes a decent match to do that Ellis. When was it recently at least an acceptable atmosphere (in your opinion) at Carrow Road? Do the players respond, yes. Would any of them blame us for the apathy, frustration and anger supporters now feel? I very much doubt it. It''s nothing new Ellis, this season is not bucking the trend. The trend has been downhill for many years. Are away players scared to come to Carrow Road. I think not, but that''s nothing to do with the crowd, more the prospect of ending their own losing streak, discovering lost form in front of goal and getting an away win. We, NCFC, are an abject shadow of our former selves. Expectations of promotion have now, I suggest, been replaced with relief at scraping a win. We have little to salvage from the past three years. If you can find much to sing about then good for you.[/quote]

I have to say that this is one of the best posts to reflect my feelings whole heartedly, and there have been only a few posters who I have agreed totally with.

Now Ellis, I will watch with interest your reply to this very well written piece from the heart of a long standing supporter.

Norwich were dreadful on saturday, the fans backed them a hell of a lot and got nothing in return. 6-0 could have been a quite fair score if you add the blatantly obvious chances they squandered. At 2-0 with 20 minutes to go I would expect a lot more from a team trying to get back in the game, they should have been harrying the opposition for possesion and trying to put them on the back foot. As it was they gave them freedom to move the ball about and invited them to pass to players in acres of space (so much so that I had to count how many players were on the pitch to make sure we hadn''t had a man sent off).

As for booing and "what a load of rubbish" it was deserved too many players not putting in the effort, which would not be tolerated by any self respecting football manager anywhere.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Ellis, I have tried to understand your points of view in the past, but this is really too much. We (the fans) have been terrible for the past three years? I wonder, and maybe I am being a trifle dense here, but if you could please enlighten me, what exactly have we (all 24,000 of us) had to sing and cheer and raise the roof about, exactly?

That three years being this one, I presume, when we almost reached the dizzy heights of mid table (or was it even above that lofty position) for what was it, over a week?

Last year, cemented to the bottom of the league (oh and just above) for the entire season, eventually finishing just above the relegation zone.

The season before, was that the one when we were still in mourning for the Premiership? Forgive me, I have quite a few underachieving seasons to choose from don''t I?

So, fans as a whole (you don''t emphasise whether you are labelling us all enmasse) have expected immediate promotion. Immediate. Okay since we were relegated back in the mid 90s (that''s a while ago) we have experienced promotion ONCE. I don''t think there is ONE fan who expected immediate promotion. A promotion within 20 years maybe, if we are lucky.

Carrow Road a library. I don''t know how old you are Ellis, but it''s not a new phenomenon. Carrow Road has not always been the loudest ground in the world, even during more successful times, and it''s definitely suffered since the introduction of compulsory seating.

As for your friend the Derby fan, fine, let him think what he likes, their new stadium (and atmosphere) isn''t a patch on their old ground. Do you spot a familiar theme?

We have a regular crowd of 24,000 plus, despite many years of failure to gain promotion, of little to cheer past Christmas, despite many managers leaving and their transfer dealings ins and outs of many players, some good, some not so good. We have had the dire sight of a drunken majority shareholder on the pitch asking where we were and now this. Some of us have given up and won''t suffer any longer. I have read posts from people who have supported the club since the 50s and 60s saying they can take no more. Is this an indication of fans demanding promotion, of having unrealistic expectations, or rather long suffering fans not knowing how to manage their pain and frustration in seeing their club being mis managed and left to die.

I tell you Ellis, (along with many other long suffering supporters on here) Norwich City FC should be eternally grateful we turn up at all.

We are pretty unique in this division, considering the past three years. How many other clubs could count on this level of support (however loud) during a sustained period of not only poor results, but little of no decent football along with it.

Frankly I think most of us long suffering supporters deserve medals for turning up at all. What do I expect Ellis? I expect the Board to appoint astute people to manage the money we do have and to seek investment. I expect the manager to deliver sound tactics, to motivate the team and play the best player for each position and to remedy mistakes. I expect each and every player to know what the shirt means and to give his best.

IF we the fans could generate an atmosphere like we used to. It sometimes takes a decent match to do that Ellis. When was it recently at least an acceptable atmosphere (in your opinion) at Carrow Road? Do the players respond, yes. Would any of them blame us for the apathy, frustration and anger supporters now feel? I very much doubt it.

It''s nothing new Ellis, this season is not bucking the trend. The trend has been downhill for many years.

Are away players scared to come to Carrow Road. I think not, but that''s nothing to do with the crowd, more the prospect of ending their own losing streak, discovering lost form in front of goal and getting an away win.

We, NCFC, are an abject shadow of our former selves. Expectations of promotion have now, I suggest, been replaced with relief at scraping a win. We have little to salvage from the past three years. If you can find much to sing about then good for you.[/quote]Post of the year 2008.Archant should print this exchange in the paper and let the readers decide.Of course, Ellis206 or whoever he is may come back with something as comprehensive and well-reasoned... or perhaps he''ll go as quiet as the crowds he claims to be a part of.

The only blame I have for the fans is continuing to support the team when we clearly have an ineffective manager aand trouble at top. If you voted with your feet like I did two seasons ago (ceasing £3,500 of family season tickets)  and attended occasionally you''d have sent the right signals. Our half term trip to Pride Park reconfirmed we had made the right decision. The team is lightweight and Gloan Roeder is more lightweight. As a Derby supporter said " Norwich have been the worst two teams we''ve played all season -they''ve given us 2 out of our 5 wins"-says it all.