Sign in to follow this  
Dion Dublin=Legend

Yesterday's game - Dion Dublin=Legend's report

Twenty four hours on and I''m still seething from yesterday - I seem to have seen a different game to the majority of other posters on here.

Firstly, to what happened on the pitch. All this talk about how good the back four & goalkeeper are is a red herring. All of our defenders had solid games, my only minor criticism being that Drury & Omozusi don''t get forward enough to support the wingers when we go forward. The midfield was solid, if unspectacular. It''s upfront where the problem lies, and I know I''m not the first poster to point this out but I can''t believe no-one else has picked up on this as the glaring problem with the team yesterday. To be more specific, we had no physical presence up front, and most crucially no player that could hold the ball and/or retain possession up front. Russell didn''t win one header all afternoon, and that''s not an exaggeration, and Lita is the not the kind of striker that is comfortable with his back to goal. I mention Lita because strikers that are good at retaining the ball don''t have to be giants or brutes; small strikers can also be good at retaining possession but none of ours can do this job. As a result, the inability of the strikers to retain possession and allow the midfield to join in and the team to push up the pitch led to the defence coming under almost constant pressure, and in these circumstances it''s almost inevitable that we''ll concede sooner or later. All this leads me to conclude that a striker in the mould of Iversen, Helguson, Bishop etc (personally I''d like to see Iversen) would be a more valuable acquisition for the team than Lita. The other thing that we''re definitely missing in the team is a natural leader, a Malky Mackay type. I don''t think Fotheringham is a natural captain or leader, but then who in the current team is? These are the issues Glenn needs to resolve, but I''m pessimistic about his chances without more cash.

However, the main reason I''m still fuming at what I saw yesterday was not so much the performance of the players (it wasn''t good, but I''ve seen far worse from Norwich teams in the last couple of seasons), but the attitude of the fans. Frankly, it stunk. Booing the players off is counter-productive and was not justifiable. The ironic applause that the whole away section gave to the decision to substitute Fotheringham also stunk. Beofre anyone starts, I''m not trying to say that Fozzy is anything more than an average Championship player, and I''m also unsure that he''s the right man to lead the team. However, he didn''t have a bad game yesterday afternoon, it was his first game back after injury, he gave 100%, and again it wasn''t justifiable to boo him off. I thought Norwich fans were better than that. What do you people expect? I saw a team that is clearly short in the quality required to challenge at the top of the Championship coming up short against a team that spent £5 million on players in the summer. That said, the Championship isn''t a particularly strong league and with a united effort we can climb the table. My advice to some of you is get over yourselves and get behind your team, and let''s see how far we can go.

PMSL.

And the fans haven''t been getting behind the team for the last 3 years?

I have some advice for you: how about you get over yourself?

Oh! I get it now. I see where I''ve been going wrong during these bloody awful times. It''s the supporters fault.

Do your posts match how many times you''ve seen our team play Mr Dion.

That may be your point of view old chap and that''s just it, it is just your point of view.

I was there yesterday and I can honestly say the team and Roeder got away very lightly. They were a disgrace and to be quite honest if Fotheringham gave a 100% then he may as well leave now.

If you think a bit of boing off at the end was the half of it you should have heard some of the very direct abuse aimed at certain individuals as they left the pitch. I have never heard Norwich fans so angry and I have to say the anger was totally justified.

What was served up yesterday was simply unacceptable.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

PMSL.

[/quote]

Alex, the fans weren''t behind the team yesterday. There were groans in the first half, silence in the second half, and abuse at the end. The point I''m trying to make is that the fan''s attitude was counter-productive; if a team has put 100% effort in then they don''t deserve to be booed off. As I said, no ability to hold the ball up front against a side that had spent hard cash astutely on signing quality players during the summer led to no points, end of. How is this the players'' fault?

[quote user="Dion Dublin Knob end"]

However, the main reason I''m still fuming at what I saw yesterday was not so much the performance of the players (it wasn''t good, but I''ve seen far worse from Norwich teams in the last couple of seasons), but the attitude of the fans. Frankly, it stunk. Booing the players off is counter-productive and was not justifiable. The ironic applause that the whole away section gave to the decision to substitute Fotheringham also stunk. Beofre anyone starts, I''m not trying to say that Fozzy is anything more than an average Championship player, and I''m also unsure that he''s the right man to lead the team. However, he didn''t have a bad game yesterday afternoon, it was his first game back after injury, he gave 100%, and again it wasn''t justifiable to boo him off. I thought Norwich fans were better than that. What do you people expect? I saw a team that is clearly short in the quality required to challenge at the top of the Championship coming up short against a team that spent £5 million on players in the summer. That said, the Championship isn''t a particularly strong league and with a united effort we can climb the table. My advice to some of you is get over yourselves and get behind your team, and let''s see how far we can go.

[/quote]Are you for real?  I hope not.They deserved everything they got yesterday.  Their commitment and effort was laughable.  You could have taken eleven people from the away support and put out a team with more pride in the shirt.What would you have us do, applaud them off generously as a token of how proud we were?

[quote user="jbghost"]

I was there yesterday and I can honestly say the team and Roeder got away very lightly. They were a disgrace and to be quite honest if Fotheringham gave a 100% then he may as well leave now.

If you think a bit of boing off at the end was the half of it you should have heard some of the very direct abuse aimed at certain individuals as they left the pitch. I have never heard Norwich fans so angry and I have to say the anger was totally justified.

[/quote]

I didn''t think Fotheringham had a bad game yesterday. I''m not trying to say I rate him, I''m just trying to be objective and I think he''s become the new hate figure for Norwich fans, a la Andy Hughes.

[quote user="jbghost"]If you honestly think each player in a yellow shirt gave 100% then you watched a different game to me.[/quote]

Again, I thought I saw a disfunctional team rather than one lacking desire or effort. Having said that we are sorely lacking a leader on the pitch and that''s very evident away from home.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Dion Dublin Knob end"]

[/quote]

Are you for real?  I hope not.

They deserved everything they got yesterday.  Their commitment and effort was laughable.  You could have taken eleven people from the away support and put out a team with more pride in the shirt.

What would you have us do, applaud them off generously as a token of how proud we were?
[/quote]

Great post Chops, thanks for getting personal. No I didn''t see a laughable level of effort and commitment; I saw a team that is lacking key figures on the pitch namely a striker that can retain possession and a leader. But I guess thats the players'' fault, right?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Oh! I get it now. I see where I''ve been going wrong during these bloody awful times. It''s the supporters fault. Do your posts match how many times you''ve seen our team play Mr Dion. That may be your point of view old chap and that''s just it, it is just your point of view.[/quote]

Judging by the reaction it looks like you''re right, I''m the only one that came away thinking like this. I''m not saying that the supporters should accept being 18th in the league, or that we shouldn''t be angry, but that their ire was misdirected.

I like to think my relatively low number of posts reflects the fact that I generally have better things to be doing with my life than posting on here rather than the number of times I''ve watched us play.

No disrespect Dion but you seem to epitamise exactly whats wrong with this club at moment, appathetic and accepting any level of dross that is dished up.  By all accounts, the performance was dire like so many before and people have their right to voice their opinion and it is very justifiable.  I do not see how this was counter-productive as I''ve posted on another thread, once I saw the team sheet, we were always going to lose yesterday.  We should have been dead and buried before half time, was anyone booing early on?  I doubt it and thus, it had no impact on the match whatsoever. 

Your optimism is misguided.  We have been behind the team for many years and have the best home/away support in this league but and where has it got us?  My suggestion is for people to stop being so deluded, stop buying tickets, stop spending money in the club shop etc.  If I go to the cinema and watch something thats crap, I won''t then pay further money and buy it on DVD in the hope that the film is somehow going to have improved - thats just putting more money into the coffers in the people that made the crappy production and I will only feel dissappointed and let down again......

As an aside, who did Burnley spend £5m on the summer? I think you''ll find we''ve spent a lot more than you think (loan fees and wages on Prem players, do not come as cheap as most people seem to think).

[quote]

Twenty four hours on and I''m still seething from yesterday - I seem to have seen a different game to the majority of other posters on here.

Firstly, to what happened on the pitch. All this talk about how good the back four & goalkeeper are is a red herring. All of our defenders had solid games, my only minor criticism being that Drury & Omozusi don''t get forward enough to support the wingers when we go forward. The midfield was solid, if unspectacular. It''s upfront where the problem lies, and I know I''m not the first poster to point this out but I can''t believe no-one else has picked up on this as the glaring problem with the team yesterday. To be more specific, we had no physical presence up front, and most crucially no player that could hold the ball and/or retain possession up front. Russell didn''t win one header all afternoon, and that''s not an exaggeration, and Lita is the not the kind of striker that is comfortable with his back to goal. I mention Lita because strikers that are good at retaining the ball don''t have to be giants or brutes; small strikers can also be good at retaining possession but none of ours can do this job. As a result, the inability of the strikers to retain possession and allow the midfield to join in and the team to push up the pitch led to the defence coming under almost constant pressure, and in these circumstances it''s almost inevitable that we''ll concede sooner or later. All this leads me to conclude that a striker in the mould of Iversen, Helguson, Bishop etc (personally I''d like to see Iversen) would be a more valuable acquisition for the team than Lita. The other thing that we''re definitely missing in the team is a natural leader, a Malky Mackay type. I don''t think Fotheringham is a natural captain or leader, but then who in the current team is? These are the issues Glenn needs to resolve, but I''m pessimistic about his chances without more cash.

[/quote]

thanks for the post Delia.. now how about cutting the bull sh*t and addressing the problems at the club!

jas :)

Dion Dublin = Legend, you are in a very very small minority having now spoken to a large number of fans who went.

The overwhelming feeling from even older non-computer using fans was that yesterday was absolute rubbish.  To criticise our fans is totally wrong as many of them have probably reached 10,000 miles and more in following City and are perfectly entitled to boo or call them what they like if they are not performing.

[quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"][quote user="jbghost"]

[/quote]

I didn''t think Fotheringham had a bad game yesterday. I''m not trying to say I rate him, I''m just trying to be objective and I think he''s become the new hate figure for Norwich fans, a la Andy Hughes.

[/quote]

And why do you think that might be? [^o)]

[quote user="Clint"]

No disrespect Dion but you seem to epitamise exactly whats wrong with this club at moment, appathetic and accepting any level of dross that is dished up.  By all accounts, the performance was dire like so many before and people have their right to voice their opinion and it is very justifiable.  I do not see how this was counter-productive as I''ve posted on another thread, once I saw the team sheet, we were always going to lose yesterday.  We should have been dead and buried before half time, was anyone booing early on?  I doubt it and thus, it had no impact on the match whatsoever. 

Your optimism is misguided.  We have been behind the team for many years and have the best home/away support in this league but and where has it got us?  My suggestion is for people to stop being so deluded, stop buying tickets, stop spending money in the club shop etc.  If I go to the cinema and watch something thats crap, I won''t then pay further money and buy it on DVD in the hope that the film is somehow going to have improved - thats just putting more money into the coffers in the people that made the crappy production and I will only feel dissappointed and let down again......

As an aside, who did Burnley spend £5m on the summer? I think you''ll find we''ve spent a lot more than you think (loan fees and wages on Prem players, do not come as cheap as most people seem to think).

[/quote]

No offence taken Clint. Firstly I''m guilty as charged in terms of being an optimist, a glass half full sort of person. I don''t think I''m apathetic or accepting however; the performance yesterday wasn''t great, but it wasn''t as awful as some have suggested.

With respect to you, I think our influence as supporters is at its lowest ebb ever in football at the moment. Yes we have 25,000 fans who turn up at Carrow Road every week, but the assumption that this should automatically lead to us watching a successful football team is outdated. It''s the money or lack of it at boardroom level that is key now and we don''t have it, simple as. I can''t see how a boycott would improve this situation. The point I''m trying to make is that in this climate perhaps the only thing the fans can do to directly influence the direction of the club is to get behind the team. There was a real togetherness in 01/02 and 03/04 and we''re a million miles away from that at the moment.

In reference to Burnley, their manager Owen Coyle was able to sell Kyle Laffterty to Rangers for £3 million (my mistake) soon after arriving, and was able to re-invest this money on:

Chris Eagles £1 million

Martin Paterson £1 million

Steven Thompson Undisclosed

Kevin McDonald £500k

The point is that Roeder''s budget would barely stretch to sign one of these players, let alone all four.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote]

[/quote]

thanks for the post Delia.. now how about cutting the bull sh*t and addressing the problems at the club!

jas :)

[/quote]

Errr how exactly? What we''re lacking is the funds to buy the players that can get us out of this division, and Delia is what''s known as a "poor millionaire".

I''m pretty sure this post is a wind up Dion but if not "good on yer" for managing to stay positive. But surely the booing at the end and the chanting of "what a load of rubbish" were entirely justified after that performance. I didn''t boo but I totally understand those that did and I certainly didn''t applaud them off the pitch.

No it wasn''t the worst performance ever and we''ve seen many worse over the years but it wasn''t good. I thought Kennedy and The Doc had solid games but the midfield found it difficult to get the forwards involved and IMO much of thisis because of Roeders insistence in playing Russell as a striker. Which I find as unbelievable as Grants insistence in playing Dublin as a centre back. A players position is a specialised trade for want of a better word. There''s more to being as striker than a physical presence. A targetman will hold the ball up and bring others into play as they get forward and Russell isn''t that. Alternatively a striker like Lupoli or Cureton will make runs to move defenders around the pitch in order to find space to receive the ball or make the space for others to run into, Russell isn''t this either. Russell is a whole-hearted competetive box to box midfield player. Yes play him up front in an emegency but how is it an emergency when we have Lupoli, Cureton. Lita and Koroma? It''s my view that Russell up front is easy to defend against and is no threat whatsoever.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''m pretty sure this post is a wind up Dion but if not "good on yer" for managing to stay positive. But surely the booing at the end and the chanting of "what a load of rubbish" were entirely justified after that performance. I didn''t boo but I totally understand those that did and I certainly didn''t applaud them off the pitch.

No it wasn''t the worst performance ever and we''ve seen many worse over the years but it wasn''t good. I thought Kennedy and The Doc had solid games but the midfield found it difficult to get the forwards involved and IMO much of thisis because of Roeders insistence in playing Russell as a striker. Which I find as unbelievable as Grants insistence in playing Dublin as a centre back. A players position is a specialised trade for want of a better word. There''s more to being as striker than a physical presence. A targetman will hold the ball up and bring others into play as they get forward and Russell isn''t that. Alternatively a striker like Lupoli or Cureton will make runs to move defenders around the pitch in order to find space to receive the ball or make the space for others to run into, Russell isn''t this either. Russell is a whole-hearted competetive box to box midfield player. Yes play him up front in an emegency but how is it an emergency when we have Lupoli, Cureton. Lita and Koroma? It''s my view that Russell up front is easy to defend against and is no threat whatsoever.

[/quote]

Actually for what it''s worth Nigel it wasn''t supposed to be a wind-up, although that''s what it''s become. You''re absolutely right about Russell; what we''re missing is a forward (doesn''t have to be a target man) that can retain possession for the team away from home, take the pressure off the defence and bring the midfield players into the game. Russell can''t do that, and I don''t think Lupoli, Lita or Koroma can do it either, hence my suggestion that a striker such as Iversen, Helguson Bishop etc. may be a better purchase for us than Lita. But at the end of the day I''m not optimistic about our ability to bring someone in of this ilk.

While I would love to see Iverson or Helguson here DD=L, I fail to see where playing Russell up front is an option when other specialised strikers are available. Didn''t we create chance after chance at Coventry with Lupoli and Cureton up front? That midfield and attack was available to Roeder yesterday with the addition of Lita so why is it neccessary to play Russell out of position.

[quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"]

if a team has put 100% effort in then they don''t deserve to be booed off.

[/quote]"I don''t believe we''ve done all we could today, I don''t think there was enough good performances throughout the team,"Not my words but those of Glenn Roeder on the BBC website.[quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"]

As I said, no ability to hold the ball up front against a side that

had spent hard cash astutely on signing quality players during the

summer led to no points, end of.

[/quote]Yet another Championship team that we regard as below us in stature quietly spends a few million in transfers. We are left far behind, quite possibly two full seasons behind in the transfer market. Still I see you acknowledge that our reticence to spend on transfers is above all else the reason we are uncompetitive.[quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"]

How is this the players'' fault?

[/quote]See above and re-read GR''s quote.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

PMSL.

[/quote]The Norwich fans have been terrible over the last 3 years, since relegation our fans expected immediate promotion and their expectations went up, we didn''t get back to the Premier league and Carrow Road has been a library ever since, it is actually embarrassing attending some of our home games recently due to lack of atmosphere. Got a mate who''s a Derby fan, and he has been to the last few Norwich vs Derby games and he said that we''ve always had superb support but this season it was terrible, even when we equalised we didn''t get behind the team, guarantee, if we could generate the atmosphere like we used to then performances would improve on the pitch, away players are not scared of coming to Carrow Road anymore because its not hostile its a bloody library!

The reason Burnley had 3 million to spend..........They produced a player good enough to sell and spend the profit! How many of our players could we sell I honestly think none, I also believe that not one team above us in the league would buy any of our players. We have no assets.

I was at Derby and Burnley, they were identical games. No heart, fight, passion, creativity, no passing not tackling.

We have wasted so much money this season,

Are Bertrand and Elliot better than Drury and Semmi NO!

Do we really need OJ and Lupoli, my opinion is yes, but why are they here if their not playing??

Sibs - Joke Panic buy.

Hoolahan - disgusting, kid cant even get to Carrow Rd on time for a home match.

Troy - ????????????????

Lita is nothing without any service, missed 2 sitters that could have got us level at Derby and back in the game at Burnley

Now onto the players we do own, Russell terrible, awful first touch, no positional sense, looks lost up front, wins nothing

Fotheringham - waste of space adds nothing, contributes nothing

Croft - So frustrating, no end product, no speed, cant take a man on

Only Clinghan, Bell, Semmy, Dejan, Drury, Semmy and Lupoli have made any contribution. Im still 50-50 on Lita could be class if we have good enough players around, on his own.....just not good enough.

We could be in real trouble this season

Ellis, I have tried to understand your points of view in the past, but this is really too much. We (the fans) have been terrible for the past three years? I wonder, and maybe I am being a trifle dense here, but if you could please enlighten me, what exactly have we (all 24,000 of us) had to sing and cheer and raise the roof about, exactly?

That three years being this one, I presume, when we almost reached the dizzy heights of mid table (or was it even above that lofty position) for what was it, over a week?

Last year, cemented to the bottom of the league (oh and just above) for the entire season, eventually finishing just above the relegation zone.

The season before, was that the one when we were still in mourning for the Premiership? Forgive me, I have quite a few underachieving seasons to choose from don''t I?

So, fans as a whole (you don''t emphasise whether you are labelling us all enmasse) have expected immediate promotion. Immediate. Okay since we were relegated back in the mid 90s (that''s a while ago) we have experienced promotion ONCE. I don''t think there is ONE fan who expected immediate promotion. A promotion within 20 years maybe, if we are lucky.

Carrow Road a library. I don''t know how old you are Ellis, but it''s not a new phenomenon. Carrow Road has not always been the loudest ground in the world, even during more successful times, and it''s definitely suffered since the introduction of compulsory seating.

As for your friend the Derby fan, fine, let him think what he likes, their new stadium (and atmosphere) isn''t a patch on their old ground. Do you spot a familiar theme?

We have a regular crowd of 24,000 plus, despite many years of failure to gain promotion, of little to cheer past Christmas, despite many managers leaving and their transfer dealings ins and outs of many players, some good, some not so good. We have had the dire sight of a drunken majority shareholder on the pitch asking where we were and now this. Some of us have given up and won''t suffer any longer. I have read posts from people who have supported the club since the 50s and 60s saying they can take no more. Is this an indication of fans demanding promotion, of having unrealistic expectations, or rather long suffering fans not knowing how to manage their pain and frustration in seeing their club being mis managed and left to die.

I tell you Ellis, (along with many other long suffering supporters on here) Norwich City FC should be eternally grateful we turn up at all.

We are pretty unique in this division, considering the past three years. How many other clubs could count on this level of support (however loud) during a sustained period of not only poor results, but little of no decent football along with it.

Frankly I think most of us long suffering supporters deserve medals for turning up at all. What do I expect Ellis? I expect the Board to appoint astute people to manage the money we do have and to seek investment. I expect the manager to deliver sound tactics, to motivate the team and play the best player for each position and to remedy mistakes. I expect each and every player to know what the shirt means and to give his best.

IF we the fans could generate an atmosphere like we used to. It sometimes takes a decent match to do that Ellis. When was it recently at least an acceptable atmosphere (in your opinion) at Carrow Road? Do the players respond, yes. Would any of them blame us for the apathy, frustration and anger supporters now feel? I very much doubt it.

It''s nothing new Ellis, this season is not bucking the trend. The trend has been downhill for many years.

Are away players scared to come to Carrow Road. I think not, but that''s nothing to do with the crowd, more the prospect of ending their own losing streak, discovering lost form in front of goal and getting an away win.

We, NCFC, are an abject shadow of our former selves. Expectations of promotion have now, I suggest, been replaced with relief at scraping a win. We have little to salvage from the past three years. If you can find much to sing about then good for you.

Brilliant Gazz

Ellis? Get a life! If you went to away games at some of these so called big clubs you would find that if their team is not doing it on the pitch their grounds too are quiet.

Yep Elllis that includes Newcastle, Spurs and even Wolves!!

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]

PMSL.

[/quote]

The Norwich fans have been terrible over the last 3 years, since relegation our fans expected immediate promotion and their expectations went up, we didn''t get back to the Premier league and Carrow Road has been a library ever since, it is actually embarrassing attending some of our home games recently due to lack of atmosphere. Got a mate who''s a Derby fan, and he has been to the last few Norwich vs Derby games and he said that we''ve always had superb support but this season it was terrible, even when we equalised we didn''t get behind the team, guarantee, if we could generate the atmosphere like we used to then performances would improve on the pitch, away players are not scared of coming to Carrow Road anymore because its not hostile its a bloody library!
[/quote]

Absolute crap.

The fans are not to blame for our current position. But, there again, you always suck up to the club / Board / manager, so we should expect nothing diffrent from you.

In reference to Burnley, their manager Owen Coyle was able to sell Kyle Laffterty to Rangers for £3 million (my mistake) soon after arriving, and was able to re-invest this money on:

Chris Eagles £1 million

Kevin McDonald £500k

The point is that Roeder''s budget would barely stretch to sign one of these players, let alone all four.

DD=L, I think you answer your own question right here. Burnley manager sells a player and gets to invest it in four new permanent signings. When NCFC were in a position to sell a player for £3 million, where did the money go? (Clue: not into on-field assets).

[quote user="yellow hammer"]

Chris Eagles £1 million

Kevin McDonald £500k

DD=L, I think you answer your own question right here. Burnley manager sells a player and gets to invest it in four new permanent signings. When NCFC were in a position to sell a player for £3 million, where did the money go? (Clue: not into on-field assets).[/quote]

I noticed this one too - the irony is astounding.

Shall we go through them?

Ashton - £7M

Green - £2M

Francis - £2M

Earnie - £3M

Etuhu - £1.5M

So, where did that money go then DD=L?

I look forward to your answer.