Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

E.D.P Today (Loans)

I like the idea of a loan system........ But only when you bring in 2 or 3 Quality Premiership players, Not when you have 6-8 average players in!!

The thing is over the years Norwich have always done well in picking up un-heard of players from the big teams and turning them into great players i.e BOWEN, CROOK, CULVERHOUSE, POULSTON, FLECK, DRINKELL Etc, Etc!!

We could/Should have done the same with BERTRAND, CHED EVANS, KENNEDY! But instead all we our doing is helping these guys progress for there clubs or for them to move on to better clubs!! Because i cant see BERTRAND ever playing for CHELSKI when you have the likes of COLE, BRIDGE in front of you, he may get a run out in the RUMBLEOW''S CUP, but thats it!! CHED EVANS May have started a few games for MAN CITY, but is always Subbed or Not playing when JO is fit, plus with all the money MAN CITY have to spend, i think He will fall down the pecking list there!! KENNEDY could also prove to be the new MALKY, But will prob go back to CELTIC or a move to A.C MILAN (yeah right)

VOTE NOW!!

Not to nit pick but Fleck was hardly unheard of when he came down here and Drinkell came from Grimsby...hardly a big team.

All the above players were signed permanent and not on loans, it was very different then.  I bet we have spent more money on loan fees than what we paid for bowen, drinkell et al.

Look at Sept 2003 when we brought in Huckerby and Crouch.  Huckerby turned out to be the saviour of the club, Crouch went back to Villa and never looked back.  Granted if we had the cash we could have probably signed him at the end of that season but it doesnt always work out as we would like. 

At least with loanes you get a chance to see if you like them and get shut if not (Etuhu....not sure what happened there).  it was inevitable with the volume of change we had to see we were going to bring in loads of loan players.  I think you will see those dwindle away over the next year as Glen is able to fill the positions with permanent signings.

We will always have some loan players though........

Problem is quality players will always move on because of the money.  We can''t retain them.  Huck''s was a one-off.

Our knack of picking up relatively unknown players for small fees goes back further-Kevin Reeves was £50''000, went onto play for England, Roger Gibbins came from Oxford for less and did well for a couple of seasons or so, then there was one of THE signings, David Williams from Bristol Rovers, hardly anyone had heard of him, but he ended up being as good a midfielder we''ve had as anyone.

There will be loads more.

Inflated fees and expectations make this sort of thing less likely now, but you can go non-league (Leeds with Beckford) or to Ireland (Reading with Doyle) and get similar "bargains", wonder about our desire or capability to do the same, maybe costs involved in the scouting, or that ''proven'' loan signings are safer investments.

Wouldn''t mind quite so much if the loan players were "quality" To be quite honest half of them are an absolute waste of money. None of them come close to the quality Worthington brought in with Huckerby, Crouch and Cooper.

The difference with the loans then was they were brought in to raise the standard of a decent team. The current ones have not raised the standard of a very poor team.

Don''t forget Worthy picked up on the classy Bentley too and wanted Ashton before his goal tally thrust him into the limelight and with it his price. Maybe not the best man manager but he certainly has an eye for a player. A few million pounds backing at the right time and we''d have been quids in.