Sign in to follow this  
golden coppel

todays riddles

A lift is on the ground floor. There are 4 people in the lift including me.
When the lift reaches 1st floor, 1 person gets out 3 people get in.
The lift goes up to the second floor, 2 people get out 6 people get in.
It then goes up to the next floor up, no-one gets out but 12 people get in. Halfway up to the next floor up the lift cable snaps, it crashes to the floor. Everyone dies in the lift. How did I survive?

that was easy though,

try this

Take the letters ERGRO. Put three letters in front of it, and the same three letters behind to form a common English word.

and one more for you

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe, and the only food she had for her ten children was six potatoes.
How did she make sure that each child had an equal share?

[quote user="golden coppel"]

and one more for you

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe, and the only food she had for her ten children was six potatoes.
How did she make sure that each child had an equal share?

[/quote]

She made mash, weighed it then divided by 6.

You are a snake...

[quote user="jay kay"]heres one for ya

I have no legs or arms but I still eat with a fork everyday, What am I?
[/quote]

you are a snake with a fork like shaped tongue, you cant beat the riddle master!

[quote user="golden coppel"]

that was easy though,

try this

Take the letters ERGRO. Put three letters in front of it, and the same three letters behind to form a common English word.

[/quote]

UNDergroUND

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="golden coppel"]

that was easy though,

try this

[/quote]

UNDergroUND

[/quote]

very good! see ya tomorrow!

Three men book a hotel room. The room costs 30 pounds and the men pay ten pounds each.

After arriving in the room, the men are dissapointed by the size and complain to reception. The manager agrees to refund them five pounds and sends the bell boy up with five pound coins.

The bell boy can work out how to divide the five pounds by three people so he gives them a pound back each and keeps two for himself.

The men have now paid 9 pounds each, which is 27 pounds in total. The bell boy has 2 pounds. 27+2=29. Where is the missing pound?

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

Three men book a hotel room. The room costs 30 pounds and the men pay ten pounds each.

After arriving in the room, the men are dissapointed by the size and complain to reception. The manager agrees to refund them five pounds and sends the bell boy up with five pound coins.

The bell boy can work out how to divide the five pounds by three people so he gives them a pound back each and keeps two for himself.

The men have now paid 9 pounds each, which is 27 pounds in total. The bell boy has 2 pounds. 27+2=29. Where is the missing pound?

[/quote]

There is no missing money. Each of the men have £1 refund and the bell boy has the other £2.

[/quote]

lost somewhere in your maths book? only joking.  9x3 is 28 not 27. so thats where your missing pound went. you aint NCFC accountant/CEO are you[;)]

[quote user="CanaryColt"][quote user="Yellow Rages"]

[/quote]

lost somewhere in your maths book? only joking.  9x3 is 28 not 27. so thats where your missing pound went. you aint NCFC accountant/CEO are you[;)]

[/quote]

Think you may want to do that one again. It is 27 ...

I got told this one by one of my friends dads, just using a different example. I can''t remember what the answer was though!

boy do i look a fool now!

DUUHHHHHHHHH i''ll sit in the corner with my dunces hat on. jeez i knew i dropped maths for a reason

i apologise mate. sorry

[:$]

dont mind me

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"][quote user="CanaryColt"][quote user="Yellow Rages"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Think you may want to do that one again. It is 27 ...

I got told this one by one of my friends dads, just using a different example. I can''t remember what the answer was though!

[/quote]Its to do with the order the sums are done in. Can''t remember it exactly though

What throws you here is the sum 27+2=29. This falsely points towards the total aimed for being 30.The room is not £30 it costs £25 pounds. and so the men have actually been charged £27 for a £25 room ie have overpaid the £2 the boy pocketed.Had the boy not interfered each man would have received a repayment of £1.67 meaning the £25 room cost each man £8.33. By refunding one pound each man has paid £9 ie. 67pence too much.£1+£1+£1+£0.67+£0.67+£0.67=£5 with rounding of decimal places.

[/quote]You''ve got to remember that the hotel manager still has 25 pounds in the till from the 3 blokes.  Using just the 3 x 9 and the 2 pounds doesn''t tell the whole story.What''s actually happened is that the blokes have now paid 3 x 9 pounds (27 pounds) to the manager, but the bell boy has knicked 2 pounds, meaning that the manager only has 25 pounds in the till (actually 29-2, not 27+2 as the story appears to explain).

There is a town in Texas where 5% of all the people living there have unlisted phone numbers. If you selected 100 names at random from the town''s phone directory, on average, how many of these people would have unlisted phone numbers?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]There is a town in Texas where 5% of all the people living there have unlisted phone numbers. If you selected 100 names at random from the town''s phone directory, on average, how many of these people would have unlisted phone numbers?

[/quote]

[:P]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]There is a town in Texas where 5% of all the people living there have unlisted phone numbers. If you selected 100 names at random from the town''s phone directory, on average, how many of these people would have unlisted phone numbers?

[/quote]

[:P]

[/quote]

Hope you''re not gonna put that back in your mouth hehehehe [:D]

Here''s an Irish one:

My face was washed with water that was neither rain nor run

My face was dried by something that was neither woven nor spun

Have a go at this one,

You, are a prisoner alone in a cell with two doors,

At midnight you are allowed to go through one of those doors.

One is to freedom,the other is to the gallows,

Your prison guards are Identical twin brothers, one is a born lier, the other can only tell the truth,

Now at midnight you can ask one of these gaurds 1 question, then you go through a door,

What would your Question be.

(only one guard  will appear at midnight)

[quote user="Scot-e-dog"][quote user="Yellow Rages"]

[/quote]

You''ve got to remember that the hotel manager still has 25 pounds in the till from the 3 blokes.  Using just the 3 x 9 and the 2 pounds doesn''t tell the whole story.

What''s actually happened is that the blokes have now paid 3 x 9 pounds (27 pounds) to the manager, but the bell boy has knicked 2 pounds, meaning that the manager only has 25 pounds in the till (actually 29-2, not 27+2 as the story appears to explain).
[/quote]

I wasn''t really bothered by the maths, more concerned that three blokes are booking a room together.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

Have a go at this one,

You, are a prisoner alone in a cell with two doors,

At midnight you are allowed to go through one of those doors.

One is to freedom,the other is to the gallows,

Your prison guards are Identical twin brothers, one is a born lier, the other can only tell the truth,

Now at midnight you can ask one of these gaurds 1 question, then you go through a door,

What would your Question be.

(only one guard  will appear at midnight)

[/quote]

The question is wrong.  It is a Raymond Smullyan riddle.

There are two guards in his original question which, worryingly, turns up in Civil Service exams which may possibly explain the current plight of the Department of Work and Pensions and the Child Support Agency. [+o(] 

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Yellow Rages"]

[/quote]

There is no missing money. Each of the men have £1 refund and the bell boy has the other £2.

[/quote]

Correct. The hotel received £30 and handed back £5. So they have £25. £3 of the £5 is with the guests an £2 with that thieving littlt scroatbag. Everything balances. 

[quote user="crafty canary"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Yellow Rages"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Correct. The hotel received £30 and handed back £5. So they have £25. £3 of the £5 is with the guests an £2 with that thieving littlt scroatbag. Everything balances. 

[/quote]

Correct.  It is a subtraction puzzle.  The natural response is to turn it into an addition puzzle.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Ohhhhhh that''s a hard one, said the nun to the vicar [;)][/quote]

Being Irish, we have to keep them simple.[8-|]