Sign in to follow this  
sparkie

Money or lack of

How come a tean like Portsmouth with gates of 18 to 22k, can afford Englands number one  keeper James,  Kanu,  Crouch, Defoe and all the other high wage earners  and Norwich with an average of 24k plus, get more and more in debt each season. Be you be an manager in or out, he takes the can , its now that matters his CV is of no interest at this time. Loan players are a money earner to those that can  to loan out players, to get fit, for their return to the parent club, and it seems our manager is pleased to help them out!.

By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.

[quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.[/quote]yeah, but how much is that land worth now,,,eh???[:''(]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.[/quote]yeah, but how much is that land worth now,,,eh???[:''(]

[/quote]Not £20m I''d wager.Pompey are also likely to cash in on Jermaine Defoe this window, purchased for £7.5m in Jan 2008 likely sale value £15m.With the sale of just two players Pompey can bring their debt down to a level very similar to ours which makes the earlier posts in this thread redundant.300% profit in 12 months on one player and 100% profit in 12 months on another, I reckon there could be something in this strategy of actually buying your own players don''t you?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]A chap called Gaydamek, then another rich guy, and one before him might have helped[/quote]But I''ve heard all these rich investors want to do is asset strip and take the club into administration.[:O][8-)]

[quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.[/quote]Which piece of land?

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.[/quote]Which piece of land?[/quote]How many have we got?

[quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.[/quote]Which piece of land?[/quote]How many have we got?[/quote]The ground and the training ground?

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.[/quote]Which piece of land?[/quote]How many have we got?[/quote]The ground and the training ground?[/quote]aaaah.I refer to the building land purchased as an investment to the detriment of our squad.

[quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.[/quote]Which piece of land?[/quote]How many have we got?[/quote]The ground and the training ground?[/quote]aaaah.I refer to the building land purchased as an investment to the detriment of our squad.[/quote]Which piece of land is this and when was it purchased?

[quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.[/quote]yeah, but how much is that land worth now,,,eh???[:''(]

[/quote]Not £20m I''d wager.Pompey are also likely to cash in on Jermaine Defoe this window, purchased for £7.5m in Jan 2008 likely sale value £15m.With the sale of just two players Pompey can bring their debt down to a level very similar to ours which makes the earlier posts in this thread redundant.300% profit in 12 months on one player and 100% profit in 12 months on another, I reckon there could be something in this strategy of actually buying your own players don''t you?[/quote]

Johnson will go for a tidy figure too.

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]Pompey are over £60m in debt. That''s how.[/quote]

and they have picked up £5m for the transfer of Haaaarrrryyy and are about to pick up another £20m for the transfer of Diarra (or however you spell his name) to Real Madrid.

Sell DeFoe for £15m and pick up the French striker (can''t remember his name) for £3m.

Harry would be proud of the wheelin and dealin.......

[quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?

Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.

We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.
[/quote]

£6.4m to the 31st May 2008.

[quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?

[/quote]

yeah, but how much is that land worth now,,,eh???[:''(]

[/quote]

Not £20m I''d wager.

Pompey are also likely to cash in on Jermaine Defoe this window, purchased for £7.5m in Jan 2008 likely sale value £15m.

With the sale of just two players Pompey can bring their debt down to a level very similar to ours which makes the earlier posts in this thread redundant.

300% profit in 12 months on one player and 100% profit in 12 months on another, I reckon there could be something in this strategy of actually buying your own players don''t you?
[/quote]

Aaaarrrggghhhh!  You may give the board of NCFC Plc the idea that we are a FOOTBALL club!  LOL!

[quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?

[/quote]

Which piece of land?
[/quote]

How many have we got?
[/quote]

The ground and the training ground?
[/quote]

aaaah.

I refer to the building land purchased as an investment to the detriment of our squad.

[/quote]

How right you are!

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

[quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?Diarra signed for Pompey on 17th Jan 2008 for approx £5.5m.We spent roughly £5.5m on a piece of land.[/quote]

£6.4m to the 31st May 2008.

[/quote]Thank you CanaryNut I knew you''d put some effort into researching the costs but couldn''t find that thread. How the land investment is ''cleverer'' than buying players escapes me perhaps IBA will elaborate for us?There is of course one other small benefit to buying these players and this is that Pompey have enjoyed all the financial benefits of being in the Premiership and smaller gates or not have had the benefit of a turnover of roughly double that of our own clubs since our relegation.

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]Pompy are in debt, and have to sell, not a good comparison[/quote]"Pompy are in debt, and have to sell"Norwich City FC are in debt and have to sell.Please explain to me how this cannot possibly be a good comparison.

When will you people realise that attendances mean bugger all in terms of how much money clubs have?

Pompey need to sell, but are in a much better (for now) position than us because they had Mandarich, and more recently the new fella (or really his highly corrupt father) pumping loadsamoney into the club.

They have also spent most of the last decade in the Prem, which means loadsmoney each year. A few thousand extra fans sadly cannot compete with TV money. Is it really that hard to get your head round?

From the BBCGlen Johnson will complete a £9m move to Liverpool this week. The

Portsmouth right-back was apparently given a tour of the Merseysiders''

Melwood training complex in the build-up to Christmas. (The People)Selling Johnson for £9m would represent a profit of 125% in less than 18 months.

Juventus join the growing queue of clubs chasing Newcastle striker Michael Owen. (News of the World)

The Serie A club are also rumoured to be willing to pay £20m

for Portsmouth''s Jermain Defoe - sparking a massive bidding war for the

England striker. (Daily Mirror)

Defoe and Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given will head Manchester

City''s £80m spending spree. City''s January shopping list includes

Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz and West Ham duo Craig Bellamy and

Scott Parker. (Sunday Express) 

20m+20m+9m= £49,000,000 a profit of over £32m on 3 players they''ve had for less than 18 months and still they''ve a squad of players left we couldn''t dream of owning.

Quite how a Club that can raise £50m from the sale of 3 players can be on the brink of administration is beyond me.

And going back to question I asked of Ginger Pele which he has been unable to answer, I think I''ll have a stab at it myself:

[quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="Ginger Pele"]Pompy are in debt, and have to sell, not a good comparison[/quote]"Pompy are in debt, and have to sell"Norwich City FC are in debt and have to sell.Please explain to me how this cannot possibly be a good comparison.

[/quote]

Is it not a good comparison because Pompey have invested in their core business and Norwich have invested in all manner of small business ideas except the core business of a football club?

[quote user="Fuglestad"]When will you people realise that attendances mean bugger all in terms of how much money clubs have?

Pompey need to sell, but are in a much better (for now) position than us because they had Mandarich, and more recently the new fella (or really his highly corrupt father) pumping loadsamoney into the club.

They have also spent most of the last decade in the Prem, which means loadsmoney each year. A few thousand extra fans sadly cannot compete with TV money. Is it really that hard to get your head round?[/quote]They will never realise because it''s the biggest stick to beat the board with, we get 24K each week therefore we should be approx 18th in the prem. Yes we have great support, does it mean much else, especially in terms of finances in the Champ? Probably not.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="Fuglestad"]When will you people realise that attendances mean bugger all in terms of how much money clubs have?

They have also spent most of the last decade in the Prem, which means loadsmoney each year. A few thousand extra fans sadly cannot compete with TV money. Is it really that hard to get your head round?[/quote]They will never realise because it''s the biggest stick to beat the board with, we get 24K each week therefore we should be approx 18th in the prem. Yes we have great support, does it mean much else, especially in terms of finances in the Champ? Probably not. [/quote]Am I being incredibly thick when I read your post? Have I misunderstood something?I am repeatedly trying to draw attention to the fact that ticket sales and a few burgers do not generate anywhere near enough income for the club to be succesful. For every Pompey are selling story out there you''ll also find a Pompey are buying story. They are doing it properly, buying players and selling for large profits and using some of the profit to buy more players. Our Board got into the selling players part of the business plan but completely overlooked the part where you need to reinvest some of that income for the next crop. Repeatedly failing to follow the most simple of business concepts year upon year is a far bigger stick to beat the board with than the one you suggest.We have a piece of land which we may need to wait some time before we can sell it and break even  and Pompey can make thirty million quid + just by selling three players in less than 18 months. The earlier posters on this thread disregarded Pompeys plan, One transfer window and £50m later they may be looking a touch sheepish.There is more profit to be made in a year with one ''Dean Ashton'' than the restaurant makes in ten years and that''s why in balance of course I am a strong advocate of buying players, buying good ones can be extremely profitable and I can''t think of many at all we''ve made a significant loss on. Pompey thought big and bought big and we thought small and spent sod all.

The fact they have premiership money coming in and have wealthy backers means they are able to buy players for £7 million and sell on for a profit. You cannot compare us with them as we are not able to make that initial investment. The best we can hope for is the odd player up to £500,000 who might just come good and we can sell for a couple of million.

There is the fact they are in debt of around £60 million and have to sell. They cannot pay back the debt any other way with wages at 90% of turnover. The way they are dropping at the moment they are need to reduce debt quickly as the first hint of relegation and the banks will be calling in the debts and they will be relegated and in administration.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="The Prisoner"]By investing in players Pompey have just been able to sell one single player for £20,000,000, should keep the wolf from the door for a month or two huh?

[/quote]

yeah, but how much is that land worth now,,,eh???[:''(]

[/quote]

What if the £5.5m piece of land suffered cartilage damage? Then What?.....We wouldn''t be able to sell it to an interested party! That''s What!

[quote user="The Prisoner"][quote user="Ginger Pele"]Pompy are in debt, and have to sell, not a good comparison
[/quote]

"Pompy are in debt, and have to sell"
Norwich City FC are in debt and have to sell.

Please explain to me how this cannot possibly be a good comparison.

[/quote]

That''s fairly easy.  You are up to date with your payments to HMRC and Portsmouth owe an additional £19m to the taxman on top of the £60m.