Sign in to follow this  
Hcuk

Gary Doherty

My biggest fear if this is true, is that he can play up front or in defence, I just hope he is not the two players NW wants rolled into one!

More here:

[link]http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED18%20Aug%202004%2016%3A24%3A40%3A727[/link]

The Spurs fans hate him and are glad to see the back of him.

BUT he can play CB and striker - NW logic strikes once again. Why buy two players when one will do? He was a regular last season so it looks like a solid piece of business, Nigel, well done.

Surely this is the uglyest man in football he looks like he has been hit in the face with a shovel, and a bauld patch to boot nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
the fact he is a rubish footballer also may deter anyone

He started off brightly at Spurs but the fans turned on him after he made a few mistakes (young defender, it happens). Ever since then they have been on his back.

Hopefully a new club can make him rediscover his confidance and form. Im sure Worthy can do a Huckerby with him!

ps Saint, we need a center back and a forward and Docherty cant do both at the same time so I think NW will still try and sign a forward.

Oh dear, Oh dear!!!

I really hope that he has been bought as cover!!!

I went to Spurs last season, as we do a little work for the spurs marketing department, not by choice I must add!!!

I was at the Fester (Leicester) game and he was awful!!! He scored an own goal. I have also just received phone calls and texts from some of my mates who are Spurs fans!!!.

They are so pleased, they want to go out and celebrate 2nite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worthy saying he is a target man I bloody hope this is not the target man we are after as well!!!!!!!

2 for 1 deal!!!!!!

I hope I''m proved wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody awful, I''ve got spurs fans pointing and laughing as I write!!

However, he has buckets of potential, and Nigel Worthington is the best defensive teacher currently in management (IMHO) so let''s get behind him and help him find his form.

I seem to recall Cardiff being prepared to spend well over a million on him last season, but he chose not to go, so he can''t be that bad. Worthy is a master of making players tick, so I think this is another good move......

I''ve got spurs fans here in new york saying "how much did we pay you to take him off our hands! hahahahahah!"

This is a sad day. I just hope NW works some miracles on this one....it''s very upsetting.

Will be interesting to see where Worthy deploys him. From my memory he has nicked a few goals for Spurs in the past, and is solid and imposing in the air. What with Mr Santini chucking wads of cash at bog standard foriegners left right and centre, White ''Art Lane was always going to be a place to pick up a bargain. He may have had a wobbly moment or two in the past, but these are the facts - a 24 yr old current Rep of Ireland international equally at home or up front.

Versitility will be key for us this season. Looks another cracking addition to me.

My mate a spurs fan has just shown me their message board. They can''t stop laughing but they all hope the ''ginger pele'' doesn''t get injured tonight in case it falls through.

Let''s pray this works out.

Its fair to say he is not exactly who I would have gone for but we (fans) have hardly come up with many defensive alternatives have we so perhaps there is not much available at the moment? And he should satisfy all the people who wanted a centre half who was good in the air, as that is his main strength!

The guy is young and if he does not cost too much and worthy can weave a bit of magic and the fans give him some support he might turn out all right - I remember Bruces debut and I recall thinking what on earth have we signed here - and look how good he turned out to be! And the tide has also turned for Safri who appears to have been accepted despite an outcry when he signed.

Give him a chance and pray he is a defensive and not attacking signing.

OTBC

He can''t be that bad, Spurs only gave him a new contract last season and after all he helped keep a poor Spurs team in the premiership last season - maybe he can do the same for us. I think he could prove to be a very good signing !!!

After reading the Spurs 606 message board on bbc.co.uk there were a lot of spurs fans saying that he always gives 110% in every game, a commited player etc.. Just in the City mould !! We probably got him cheap as the Spurs fans were on his back evey game. He is good in the air and can play up as a centre back or centre half. He may not set the world on fire but he will IMO be a good signing for City.. Worthington has a habit of finding good players at the right price and getting the best out of them so why not the Doc ?

Here we go again. Give him a chance, maybe a new club will be the fresh start he needs. I for one will cheer him and give the lad some respect and support. I trust worthy his recent signings are solid, and i''m sure he will pass his defensive wisdom on to Doherty.

My mate is a spurs fan- these are his exact words:

"well spurs fans really booed him, but on his day he has any attacker in his pocket ... i''ve seen him out mark henry and owen. but his errors are dozign off and sheer clumsiness
deflected goals are his speciality. however, he never bottles a challenge and his work rate is superb".

Good signing as far as im concerned. However, i fear he will be another easy target for the boo-boys. Just need to sign Scowcroft now and they will be spoilt for choice!!

A bit premature to be using the comments and jibes of Spurs fans to write off the poor guy before he''s even signed on the dotted line, in my opinion. With the season they have just had and the goings on behind the scenes I wouldn''t have found it easy to do my best if and when selected, especially being the sensitive soul that I am! Worthy is just the man to get him happy again and a fresh start could see him return to the form the more honest Spurs fans are talking about him having before he broke his leg a couple of seasons ago. If their fans have been as hard on him as the Villa fans (and now Saints fans) are on Crouchy, then I''m not surprised he wasn''t consistent. Let''s welcome him as he''s one of ours now and deserves every chance to succeed with us.

Strikes me a lot of his problem at the Lane is lack of confidence, not helped at all by the fans who are notorious for getting on players backs........Ring any bells??

Nice to see some "supporters" are writing him off and looking for him to fail before he has even agreed terms!

Don''t think there are a set of fans I have less time for than those that support Spurs. Wouldn''t take their opinions of him to mean anything frankly. Its no surprise if he hasn''t impressed at Spurs. White Hart Lane has hardly been the greatest place to be playing your football over the past few seasons in the shambles created by Hoddle and then Pleat. Being in a struggling team at a place where the fans still think they should be in the top 6 every season can''t be good for your confidence, and I''ve no doubt that they have been getting on his back.

A regular in the Republic of Ireland set-up is a good player, simple as that. Worthy is exactly the right person to get the best out of him as well. At only 24 he looks a very good buy to me. How about giving the guy a chance before condemming him? No doubt Spurs fans laughed when we took Culverhouse, Crook, Bowen and Polston off their hands, and shrugged with indifference when we picked up Macca for free. If he does as well as those players I will be more than happy.

How about waiting until he has been here a few months before judging him? Get behind him and give him the chance to prove himself. He quite clearly has potential, and is known for giving 100% whenever he plays. I swear if we had signed anyone less than Sol Campbell some people would be complaining. Its all about getting the best players available to your club. And thats not just a money issue. You also have to convince the player to join you even though he knows we will be in a relegation fight all season, and there is a possibility we won''t be in the Prem next season. When you take that into consideration , I think signing someone like Doherty would be a very good bit of business. I trust Worthy''s judgement far more than any Spurs fan, or anyone on here for that matter (even myself!).

Look at it this way: he made 22 appearances for Spurs last season, in a team that managed to stay up despite being very poorly managed. If he makes 22 appearances in a team this season that manages to stay up, I''ll drink to that.

He''s a full international in a decent international side. He''s young enough to give us a good few years of service and sounds like a good long-term investment.

If Spurs fans are laughing, they''d better be careful the last laugh isn''t on them. Nigel has a track record for taking misfit players and turning them into stars.

Ama

I struggle a bit with some of the earlier posts on here. The guy is 24 years old, a full international for a reasonable team in the ROI, has plenty of Premiership experience, and looks to be another classic bit of Worthy business. Providing the work-rate and effort of the you refer to really are there then it looks to be the second last piece of the squad jigsaw in place.
Let''s give him all our support (he''ll struggle to remember last time he got that!!) - it''s what turned Hucks on and kept at FCR after all.

A few of my spurs mates are worried he will get injured tonight playing for the republic and end up failing his medical :-)