Sign in to follow this  
Kathy

Neil Warnock

I thought I would just tell you all about a story I heard last night.
A colleague of mine wrote to Neil Warnock reminding him of the fact that around Easter time he had predicted City would bottle it and miss out on promotion. He also sent him the Man in the Stands picture of him with a dummy in his mouth! Much to his surpise he received a reply this week which said :

''Thank you for your letter.
When you hand out stick you have to be prepared to take it and I admit was wrong. Norwich were fantastic last season and thoroughly deserved to win the league. I wish you all the best in the premiership this season.''
Yours sincerely Neil Warnock

As one of his biggest critics I was amazed by this and have had to revise my opinion of him. He was gracious and actually bothered to reply to the letter.
What do you all think about that? Have we got him wrong?

It''s hard to say Kathy as none of us really knows him. We only know the public persona which is, let''s face it, more pantomime dame than UN diplomat! After last season''s outbursts (and not just aimed towards us) I am sorely tempted to say that he couldn''t respond any other way and save face, but commonsense tells me that a lot of the ''personalities'' we see in the world of football are probably a lot different away from the cut and thrust of it all. For example, I saw Gary Megson with Worthy on Goals on Sunday last weekend. Megson is not exactly a favourite with many City fans for various reasons and yet it was abundantly clear to anyone watching that he has a wicked sense of humour and gets on very well with Worthy. Before I had seen the programme I wouldn''t have believed anyone who told me that.
So perhaps our friend Colin W is a thoroughly decent human being after all. It''s just a shame he doesn''t seem able to show a bit of that side of himself when he has his manager''s hat on!

I''ve also been a strong critic - who hasn''t been, but i do remember commenting at the time of seeing him doing Richard Keys results programme on Sky last season when we covered out game with Watford. Outside of the competitive club environment, where he''s constantly defending his club or attacking others, he seemed a different man! Eventho we lost he didn''t give us any stick, gave a good fair summary of the game, was docile, pleasant and amusing with it!
It''s just as susie says - the pressure cooker environment we see managers in is an artificial one that regularly gives us a false impression of the personality behind the man, especially with the emotional ones like Warnock who tend to say and do things they wouldn''t otherwise do. I bet even if fergie was your grandad or something he''d be a really nice man!! Or am i stretching things a bit there?!

Regarding another manager. Iain Dowie literally bumped into me on my way into the ground. He was the first person to walking into my broken wrist and fractured elbow, no apology, he just laughed at me and said i nearly got more injuries, he came across as really arrogant.

after what he said after the game on saturday iain dowie has gone up in my books

I''m truly sorry Swarney, but the way that reads makes your story seem quite funny.

(However I''m sure it was anything but amusing at the time and I wish you a full and speedy recovery. Oh, that Iain Dowie - what a cruel ****!)

is this a wind up kathy, nothing would ever persuade me that w***ker has a sense of humour, let alone is capable of writing a letter

whatever next, teaching his team to kick a ball instead of the opposition?

Currently playing in a team over here, with an ex professional (had to retire due to serious knee problems), he played under Warnock twice and the guy had total respect for Warnock who did everything he could to get him a new contract and help the guy with his career, I must admit that Warnock is so annoying and is only interested in winning - remember he is a blades fan as well, imagine managing the team you support how bad would that be - how far would you go, think we would all lose it sometimes if we managed Norwich!

Colin comes across as an honest geezer who speaks his mind and is passionate about his team. How refreshing that is. I''m surprised that so many are easily wound-up by him.
I would rather he took Sheff U into the premier - think apart from us they are the longest serving div 1 (or 2 or Chumpionship or whatever its called this week) team last year - than Mr Pardew takes his overrrated bunch of Tottenham and Wimbleon rejects there.