Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Gary Doherty

Thought he was superb yesterday, as he was against Wolves. There was a distinct difference when Kennedy replaced him on the hour.Every time the ball was pumped forward the Donny striker got the ball, and Kennedy allowed him to do so and then attempts to defend. When Doherty''s there he''s always first to the ball, either heading away or getting a tackle in before the striker. He swept up well and of course always wins everything in the air. We looked much more solid with Dejan and Doc. Thats the CB 2 for me.

The Doc did play well.  He did not try anything fancy he was not capable of, just did what he does well and got on with it.Him and Shackell never really worked well together for me and it made both of them look poor.  With the other CBs coming in we can now find a good partnership and competition will spur them on.

Yeah he looks a complete different player from last season, and about 2 stone lighter IMO.Bit of a weird sub, but I suppose it''s because he''s only played 2 games in about 3/4 months.

Unfortunately you are letting sentimentality cloud your logic. Doherty, like most of our ''team'', is rubbish. However, the fact he is on contract and not a loanee, makes you want to believe that he is good, and that he loves the club and will give his all to the cause. Wake up. It''s a bad dream

[quote user="beejinz"]Unfortunately you are letting sentimentality cloud your logic. Doherty, like most of our ''team'', is rubbish. However, the fact he is on contract and not a loanee, makes you want to believe that he is good, and that he loves the club and will give his all to the cause. Wake up. It''s a bad dream[/quote]What a truly moronic statement. I am a very objective fan, black and white, i praise where praise is due and Doherty deserves praise for his 2 games back. Did you go to the Wolves and Rovers matches? Doesnt sound like it.Doc was a rock in both. He''s so strong he overpowers whatever forward he''s up against, winning every header and his physical presence makes it so difficult for the forward receiving the ball to do what he wants and hurt us. He wins every header going and just keeps it simple. His job is to keep the ball away from our box, and he does it well.

Beejinz it''s not a matter of anyone being either pleased or not about the club, we are discussing the merits of Doherty - it''s true to say that since he''s had a more experienced partner at the back he''s come on in leaps and bounds. He was rock solid yesterday and filled me with confidence, something missing in his previous seasons.

There are many improvements to be made to our team, but at least we can say Doherty has improved and is a worthy member of the side. Well done Doc.

[quote user="Barclayman artist formerly known as Barclayboy"]Thought he was superb yesterday, as he was against Wolves. There was a distinct difference when Kennedy replaced him on the hour.

Every time the ball was pumped forward the Donny striker got the ball, and Kennedy allowed him to do so and then attempts to defend. When Doherty''s there he''s always first to the ball, either heading away or getting a tackle in before the striker. He swept up well and of course always wins everything in the air. We looked much more solid with Dejan and Doc. Thats the CB 2 for me.
[/quote]

Well said!

Been our best defender for the last 2 or 3 seasons now. Very few better central defenders in our league.

[quote user="beejinz"]

I went to the Rovers match. Sounds like you''re completely satisfied with the way things are at Carrow Road. I''m not.

[/quote]Another completely moronic statement Beejinz. How you can extrapolate that from my original post is pure idiocy. Im far from happy with whats happening at Carrow Road.Im merely pointing out plainly and simply the positives of having Doherty back in the side as he impressed against Wolves and Rovers.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Beejinz it''s not a matter of anyone being either pleased or not about the club, we are discussing the merits of Doherty - it''s true to say that since he''s had a more experienced partner at the back he''s come on in leaps and bounds. He was rock solid yesterday and filled me with confidence, something missing in his previous seasons.

There are many improvements to be made to our team, but at least we can say Doherty has improved and is a worthy member of the side. Well done Doc.[/quote]Well said.  He''s a decent Championship centre back in good form and I''d pick him as the first centre back and let Dejan/Kennedy compete for the second place.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="gazzathegreat"]Beejinz it''s not a matter of anyone being either pleased or not about the club, we are discussing the merits of Doherty - it''s true to say that since he''s had a more experienced partner at the back he''s come on in leaps and bounds. He was rock solid yesterday and filled me with confidence, something missing in his previous seasons.

There are many improvements to be made to our team, but at least we can say Doherty has improved and is a worthy member of the side. Well done Doc.[/quote]Well said.  He''s a decent Championship centre back in good form and I''d pick him as the first centre back and let Dejan/Kennedy compete for the second place.[/quote]I agree. Here''s something else to be said about him, which I''ll get stick for. The guy, for a big guy has good turn of pace. And whilst I''m not saying he''s lightening you rarely see him  get stripped for pace.He''s what he is, a good honest player who works his sock off for the cause.

I''ve always been a big fan of the Doc, even though most people on here have moaned about him for the last few seasons, I''ve always said he was better than Shackell, and that Shackell was a liability, now the Doc is playing next to an experianced centre half he is looking like a total rock at the centre of our defence!

The fact he kept out 6ft+ strong Iwelumo (albeit a poor Iwelumo) from the Wolves game, after being out injured for months, is a testiment to the Doc.

The Doc was always a scapegoat and will probably be again. Everyone knows that him and Shack were poor together, but the Doc was a good Chumpionship defender and has proved over the last 2 games that he can still be a decent one here. People will always give the Doc stick, but we need to realise that  he is a decent centreback, if only he stopped doing the rugby challenge now and then.

I am not Doherty biggest fan by along stretch, for me Kennedy is a much higher class defender, however regardless of ability Doherty has to stay in the team while he does well and if that lasts all season then thats great, players should play on merit and form and if Doherty continues to perform then he should stay in the team as the man in possession.

[quote user="beejinz"]

I went to the Rovers match. Sounds like you''re completely satisfied with the way things are at Carrow Road. I''m not.

[/quote]

Whatever your predjudice regarding the Doc it is churlish not to admit that he was exellent in the last two matches.

To argue otherwise just makes you look a fool.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="beejinz"]

[/quote]

Whatever your predjudice regarding the Doc it is churlish not to admit that he was exellent in the last two matches.

[/quote]

It is a very sad day when a player of such limited ability is hailed as some sort of second coming. You lot should get a grip.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]So saying a player has played very well over the last couple of games and being "hailed as some sort of second coming" is the same thing because...?
[/quote]

Look back over the thread and see these quotes:

"he looks a complete different player from last season"

"he''s so strong"

"Very few better central defenders in our league"

Doherty is none of these things. He is not a great Norwich player. It''s misguided to believe that he is.

[quote user="beejinz"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]So saying a player has played very well over the last couple of games and being "hailed as some sort of second coming" is the same thing because...?
[/quote]

"he''s so strong"

Doherty is none of these things. He is not a great Norwich player. It''s misguided to believe that he is. 

[/quote]

The only one of those quotes that''s not true is the one about a completely different player from last season. And that''s because he did very well last season as well.

It''s "misguided" or perhaps just plain ignorant to believe Gary Doherty isn''t a very good defender at this level.

Doc is a good pro and a good servant to the Club.

I rate him as a defender in this league and look forward in particular to his being used as a target man up front.

Doc is a good pro and a good servant to the Club.

I rate him as a defender in this league and look forward in particular to his being used as a target man up front.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="gazzathegreat"]Beejinz it''s not a matter of anyone being either pleased or not about the club, we are discussing the merits of Doherty - it''s true to say that since he''s had a more experienced partner at the back he''s come on in leaps and bounds. He was rock solid yesterday and filled me with confidence, something missing in his previous seasons.

There are many improvements to be made to our team, but at least we can say Doherty has improved and is a worthy member of the side. Well done Doc.[/quote]Well said.  He''s a decent Championship centre back in good form and I''d pick him as the first centre back and let Dejan/Kennedy compete for the second place.[/quote]I agree. Here''s something else to be said about him, which I''ll get stick for. The guy, for a big guy has good turn of pace. And whilst I''m not saying he''s lightening you rarely see him  get stripped for pace.He''s what he is, a good honest player who works his sock off for the cause. [/quote]I''ve been told that the Doc is one of our fastest players over 30 yards but one of the slowest over 10 yards. Is quite quick but can''t accelerate.

[quote user="beejinz"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="beejinz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is a very sad day when a player of such limited ability is hailed as some sort of second coming. You lot should get a grip.

[/quote]

It''s a very sad day when a fan can''t appreciate it when a player has a good game - regardless of how the team as a whole are doing or who the player is. Credit should be given where it is due and the Doc has, without doubt, played well in the last couple of games and should be applauded for that. If you can''t do that, then you are a very small minded person indeed. Well, either that or you just don''t have a clue!

[quote user="beejinz"]

[/quote]

"he''s so strong"

From your comments I have to assume you dont see him play very often! Apart from anything else why are you so bitter?

[/quote]

[quote user="beejinz"]

[/quote]

"he''s so strong"

From your comments I have to assume you dont see him play very often! Apart from anything else why are you so bitter?

[/quote]

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="beejinz"]

[/quote]

"he''s so strong"

[/quote][/quote]

I''m not bitter, just disappointed that my hometown club is currently languishing near the bottom of the second division...

[quote user="beejinz"] 

I''m not bitter, just disappointed that my hometown club is currently languishing near the bottom of the second division...

[/quote]To be fair, that win against Plymouth has really pushed you up the table. [;)]

[quote user="beejinz"][quote user="city4eva"][quote user="beejinz"]

[/quote]

"he''s so strong"

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, languishing 4 points off a play off position....

He''s looking like the proverbial brick s**thouse, very fit and solid i have to say. Incredibly strong as a result and as Barclay says he just gets between ball and opposition every time and they don''t have a hope of moving him. That''s what he does best and what he should stick to.

I bet Lightweight Lupoli has nightmares about playing against him in training!