Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

What was the performance like?

Was it a straightforward loss, or did we throw it away by missing chances again?

A supporter to give me some feedback iso the official site''s views...

Thanks!

You could certainly say we were beaten by a better side on the night. We were bright early on but when Derby found their feet they looked the best side I''ve seen this season. They murdered us for half an hour and were good value for at least 2-0 at the break. One marked difference between the teams was the quality of delivery into the box from set pieces and open play. Their second goal was a peach of a ball in from Commons (who was excellent) and a good finish from Hulse. Very difficult to defend against. Second half we fought back and actually got on top for a while. With Bell on the field we started to deliever dangerous balls into the box although still not from the righthand side. Of course we don''t have a Hulse to get on the end of things. Still, much better performance second half and had Lita scored when he went through one on one to make it 2-2 anything could have happened. In the end though 3-1 was comfortable again.

I was impressed by Derby. I''m hesitant to say they will win the league or get promoted because we all know hpow difficult all clubs find it to be consistent in this league. As for us? Well, the disappointment of defeat still hurts but this was a much more positive performance in defeat than we have been used to over the last few seasons and it was nothing like the no shows we have put in in the past. We really did attempt to give them a game and fought back well. Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and admit to being second best on the night.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]

Was it a straightforward loss, or did we throw it away by missing chances again?

A supporter to give me some feedback iso the official site''s views...

Thanks!

[/quote]

Still too tired to write much as I didn''t get to bed until 2am but basically Derby were twice as good as us and we were lucky it wasn''t 6-1.

I think are defence and keeper played well just didn''t get the support from the midfield and with the pressure they had to withstand they were bound to break at points during the game.

From the radio commentary it sounded like the defence was all over the place and Omazusi in particualr was woeful (again)

The difference, in the first half especially was Hulse and Commons. Derby played percentage football, get it up to Hulse quickly and then play from there, he won just about everything and dragged Dejan around. The ball was then played wide to Commons who was superb, great trickery and then great cross after great cross. Russell was poor in midfield so we struggled to pick up the scraps so couldn''t get a foothold.

After half time i thought we were really good and stretched Derby but left ourselves too much to do and eventually got punished pushing forward when they got their killer 3rd goal.

I thought Russell and Clingan looked poor on Saturday and doesn''t sound like they were much better last night. Neither of them are creative enough IMHO to be able to play together.

whoareyou? wrote the following post at 29/10/2008 11:09 AM:

I thought Russell and Clingan looked poor on Saturday and doesn''t sound like they were much better last night. Neither of them are creative enough IMHO to be able to play together.

You''ve put your finger on something that''s been bothering me for a while,ie central midfield.I do rate Clingan,but I''m afraid that Rusty is a triumph of effort over ability.Whilst a proper striker is a priority in January (if we have any money!), a good creative midfielder to play alongside Clingan is just as important.

Pretty much how I saw it Nutty, except to say I just wonder what the overall tactics were last night? Was it to be like Derby, a team whose slick movement up and down the pitch showed us who it could be done. We have done it, patchily in the past. Wolves being a case in point. I am alarmed that only when we have a side out who "fit" can we play as a team. There still seems to be too many bit parts.

Bell was the most impressive when he came on. Not many positives to be taken away (but I have to add this) it was a million times better than the old Worthy away days where we just laid down and died.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Pretty much how I saw it Nutty, except to say I just wonder what the overall tactics were last night? Was it to be like Derby, a team whose slick movement up and down the pitch showed us who it could be done. We have done it, patchily in the past. Wolves being a case in point. I am alarmed that only when we have a side out who "fit" can we play as a team. There still seems to be too many bit parts. Bell was the most impressive when he came on. Not many positives to be taken away (but I have to add this) it was a million times better than the old Worthy away days where we just laid down and died.[/quote]

No offence. But we reached the playoff final and 2 seasons later managed to win the league. If that was ''laying down and dying'' then lets see some more of it! Please...

I''m not having a go by the way. But I cannot see how you can say Norwich are a better team now under Roeder than we were under Worthington. Worthy proved he could take us places with those 2 seasons mentioned above, including a decent fight (bar the last game of the season) to avoid the drop from the premiership. Yes the league was an easier league back then. But Worthington worked with what he had and did well. Something Roeder has failed to do in my eyes. But everybody has their opinions on this ...

Oh and as for the performance. First half was very average. Attacking wise we seemed OK but defensively we seemed all over the place and I was suprised it was only 2-0 at half time.

However, the second half we came out a changed side and really went out their to try and get something. And we managed to pull ourselves back into the game. I thought we were dead and buried at half time so was glad to see us put up a fight. We played some good football and matched them for most of this time.

Then Leroy Lita is put through, onside. Everbody thinks were going to equalise. But instead of just running and placing it calmly past the keeper. He sort of stopped, let the defenders get back, hit the ball with his laces and drag his shot poorly wide... I felt after that we didn''t give much more and our fight seemed to filter out of us. Then they got the third and it was game over. Had that have gone in it would have been a much different story.

I take it then Shaun you didn''t witness Luton, Wolves, QPR or Watford, just to pick out a few. Maybe you went to Preston and saw us 4-0 down at half time? Yes we had some great times under Worthington and I saw them all. But away from home, for the larger part of his tenure, there were many occasions when we just laid down and died. Last night we fought, however it was in vain. I haven''t said we are a better team than in those days, I don''t think we are in many ways (look at some of my recent posts regarding Roeder).

As for the Premiership season, it was all lost long before Fulham.

Yes that is fair enough. But i''m guessing by all these games you mean away games? (and I did go to QPR away if you are talking about the 3-0 loss) Yes we were poor that day, but that was a while after the ''Worthy Out'' chants had began, not when we were experiencing the highs of football (or at least highs for us)

I can pick out games under Roeder where you know we just are not going to get anything out of the game as well. Leicester away 1-0 down we just didn''t bother. Lost 4-0. Even Ipswich away games. Who can honestly say they thought we looked like getting anything out of the last Ipswich away, despite only being 2-1 down! I certaintly can''t. Even home games we have looked like this, despite the vast majority of the ground behind the team. QPR were down to ten men and we never looked like winning it. Sheffield Wednesday on the last day of last season aswell? ...

I do see your point though, and OK, you never did say we are now a better team, but isn''t your original post implying this?

As for being lost long before Fulham. Are you joking? We put up an excellent fight towards the end of that season, winning many games and eventually pulling ourselves out of that bottom 3. When it came to the Fulham game we were in the healthiest position out of the 4 teams. So how was it lost long before that?

You guess right, I think I only missed a handful of them. For purely financial reasons lol.

No, my original post didn''t imply that, sorry if you read it like that. What I was implying is the team didn''t lie down and die, we were second best last night, and if Derby had been on target for all of their chances we would have been thrashed, but it wasn''t over after 20 minutes. Far from it. I can also say there have been quite a few games under Roeder when we haven''t done ourselves justice but last night was more the case we were beaten by a better team rather than being more than capable but not turning up.

No, I am not joking, for much of the Premier season Worthy was playing players simply not up to the job, by the time he changed it we had too much to do to catch up, giving them all that pressure on the final day, which as it turned out was too much. Away from home we were truly shocking for much of that season.

I agree with an earlier post saying that Clingan was the best player on the pitch in the second half.

We looked better than them for the first 25 minutes of the second half yet rarely threatened the goal. Lita should have made it 2-2 and perhaps we might have snatched a point.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]You guess right, I think I only missed a handful of them. For purely financial reasons lol. No, my original post didn''t imply that, sorry if you read it like that. What I was implying is the team didn''t lie down and die, we were second best last night, and if Derby had been on target for all of their chances we would have been thrashed, but it wasn''t over after 20 minutes. Far from it. I can also say there have been quite a few games under Roeder when we haven''t done ourselves justice but last night was more the case we were beaten by a better team rather than being more than capable but not turning up. No, I am not joking, for much of the Premier season Worthy was playing players simply not up to the job, by the time he changed it we had too much to do to catch up, giving them all that pressure on the final day, which as it turned out was too much. Away from home we were truly shocking for much of that season.[/quote]

Ok then well yes I agree with your comment regarding yesterdays match. I was quite impressed to see us put up a fight in the second half (well, up to Lita''s miss anyway) from what seemed a foregone conclusion. Sorry if I have mis-interpreted your post.

And I see what you mean regarding the premiership season. Yes we played poor in many games before that run, and yes a lot of pressure was on the payers. But surely the fact we clawed ourselves back into a healthy position to avoid the drop means that not ''all was lost''. Maybe you see it differently...

I seem to remember we did put in lot of decent performances in the Prem season but didn''t have the quality or the luck with us. Games like the Everton one where we were terrific but got beaten late on, 3-1 up away at Palace and let it slip to 3-3, even the away defeat to Man Utd we did well. If anyone had offered us a final day game against a team with nothing to play for to stay up I bet we''d have all snatched it eagerly.........the effort in those final few games to claw back into contention was fabulous, I''ll never forget the 2-0 against Man Utd and that injury time winner against Newcastle.

I don''t see much development from 2 years ago since although we don''t seem to be quite as limp as then we still lose games regularly which we need to be getting points from. Yes, Worthy had run out of time but we are still miles away from being play off contenders.

[quote user="Menzies Campbell"]I agree with an earlier post saying that Clingan was the best player on the pitch in the second half.

We looked better than them for the first 25 minutes of the second half yet rarely threatened the goal. Lita should have made it 2-2 and perhaps we might have snatched a point.[/quote]If Lita had put that chance away I''m confident we would have gone on to win that game, Norwich had Derby rattled big time, and whilst we didn''t create much, we were still outplaying them and putting some decent crosses into the box (mainly from Bell), what you hear on the radio doesn''t tell the whole story, you''d hear that we haven''t created any chances but what you won''t hear is that the Derby players were all over the place and we were playing with confidence and pace, Derbys third came totally against the run of play and it was game over then, but it was a story of two halves, terrible in the first, superb (for the majority) of the second.

i was watching the 1st episode of the Brilliant "Dead set" so didnt hear the first half....

Heard the 2nd though and it was same old Norwich.. clueless in the final third despite some promising sounding build up play

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i was watching the 1st episode of the Brilliant "Dead set" so didnt hear the first half....

Heard the 2nd though and it was same old Norwich.. clueless in the final third despite some promising sounding build up play

[/quote]

Is their a repeat or somewhere I can watch it?

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Is their a repeat or somewhere I can watch it?

[/quote]

4OD website...