Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Donny game & STEWARDS!

If I could relate my encounter with a steward quite a few blackcurrant picking seasons ago now . It was in the Barclay at half time , I saw this young boy selling goodies from his tray near the goal , I didn''t half fancy a rolo (oh those days when I could eat what I liked) as I had never bought anything before in this manner I thought you just went down and purchased your preference but no it seemed there was some semblance of a Que as I wandered down to the front someone started having a go at me for pushing in front, well before I had a chance to apologise and say I was unaware that I had caused a misdemeanor this steward , his face enriched with customer care said "you''re a fxxxing trouble maker" where upon he grabbed me by my tie and hauled me up the steps , I was like an unruly dog on a lead .

Now I always prided myself with the fact that I could tie a "Windsor" knot where the tie goes across square unlike the schoolboys that goes across on a slope , well by the time he had hauled me up the steps I had given up all thoughts concerning rolo''s as I could hardly breath as my lovely "Windsor" knot had become the size of my thumbnail, tight around my neck. After arriving home and picking at for 30mins or more I gave up , It was hopeless it was as if the knot was welded , I had to cut it off in the end . That was the fate of my best tie ever, just for the want of a rolo....[:''(]....arrdee. 

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Exactly Blah, I was too lucky enough to have experienced life of the terraces and would love it to happen again. I spent many a happy year perched on an old Corona crate in the River End before graduating to the Barclay. The only fight which I was ever involved in at CR was strangely enough in the City Stand in a cup game against Leyton Orient. We were given tickets in there and sadly some Orient fans made themselves known and started picking fights, they were beaten off by an old guy and the famous cushions! No stewards to be seen then, nor Police. Bizarre when you think about it now and everyone I tell this story to who''s under the age of 30 doesn''t believe anything like that could happen at a football match. So beware the terror of the City Stand everyone. Lol.[/quote]

used to be very amusing watching the cushions being hurled on the pitch,anyone actually got one stored away ?

I think that we should be able to stand at football matches. I''m told you can in Germany and if anybody has seen Oasis play at the City of Manchester stadium, their fans were jumping from the top tier to the bottom, standing, jumping, singing. The atmosphere is pathetic at Carrow Road and most other grounds this is because if you don''t stand you don''t sing. I hate the FA.

my mate went to anfield recently and said he stood in the cop throughout the game. as did everyone else. and the atmosphere was amazing. and nobody died!

It''s down to interpretation of the law IMO and how the ''stupids'' enforce it at each club. We all know some clubs allow constant standing in some areas.  And ask yourself this, when was the last time a club was fined for letting their supporters stand?  I really don''t know.

The QPR game last season shows what kind of atmosphere you get if you allow fans to stand, i cant remember sitting down once and the Barclay sang from start to finish.[<:o)]

[quote user="Thirst Wizard"]''Stewards are there for your protection''

That''s Bullshiit that is. They''re there for health and safety and to stop damage to seats caused by feet resting on them.
[/quote]

So segregating fans to prevent fighting isnt protecting you? Tit.

[quote user="votepedro"]my mate went to anfield recently and said he stood in the cop throughout the game. as did everyone else. and the atmosphere was amazing. and nobody died![/quote]

Now thats a bit Ironic, Considering it was the Liverpool fans that were to  blame for all seater Stadiums being Introduced in the first place,

[quote]So segregating fans to prevent fighting isnt protecting you? Tit.[/quote]

I can''t help but feel that you''ve missed the point of the original post a bit there - the problem is with being told to sit down constantly by overbearing hi-viz morons on a power trip, not by stewards and police doing the probably neccesary job of being between supporters.  I must say that the steward where I was sat last Saturday was very good.  Looked concerned when we were jumping up and down like 3 year olds on a sunny delight bender when the second goal went in (ironically we were in the shelf 100 feet up in the N & P stand (river end) as that was the only place we could get 3 tickets together), but he was happy not to glare or shout at anyone and let the celebrations die down naturally.