Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Donny game & STEWARDS!

this is the first chance ive had to post since saturdays game. I really enjoyed my first home game of the season and got merry and cheered the boys on. i sat in the upper barclay snakepit end which i was slightly concerend about due to lack of atmosphere, I tried for most of the first half to get somthing going and there was a bit of singing. Anyway my point is the stewards, they are completey destroying any atmosphere inside carrow road. i was sat on the very very back row ( nothing behind me ) and got asked to sit down three times in the first half! and that wasnt for persistant standing but for standing when there was a potential for a goal ( isnt this normal? ) any way the tw*t of a steward told me at half time i would be leaving if i stood up again. my gf was with me so she asked me just to do as he said so for an easy life i did that, i did not bother to stand sing or do anything to create an atmosphere just as the power crazed stewards like it. untill the 71st minute for the first time in the half i stood for a corner, the steward ran over to me and said i had cctv on me and that i was being recorded and said if i dont sit now he would evict me and i would be banned! what completey took the micky is that a section of donny fans stood up the whole game!

this whole experiance has completey put me off attending home games and just to follow city away. also apolgies to any one who heard me use bad language in frustation at the steward.

That does sound like someone over-stepping the mark, the CCTV would have shown you doing nothing out of the ordinary after all.  I''d have asked for his name so that I could put a complaint in writing to his boss.  I also wonder what his reaction would have been if you had pointed out that if he was going to evict you by force, that any subsequent marks on you could result in a court appearance, and that you would have witnesses to the fact in the people around you.  It''s an interesting area - would this argument have stood up ?  Pardon the pun.

What you''ve got to remember is that the stewards are just doing there job, what they are trained and told to do. The rule of standing isn''t just made up by NCFC but comes from the FA.

[quote user="Slim"]

What you''ve got to remember is that the stewards are just doing there job, what they are trained and told to do. The rule of standing isn''t just made up by NCFC but comes from the FA.

[/quote]

i disagree, they have guidlines to follow but the way they enforce them differs from one steward to the next! and some are just power crazed morons

Hi

For all my sins, I used to be a steward in E block Barclay. The point raised concerning the lack of control of the away supporters was something that we who stewarded E block pointed out on a near weekly basis as this has been going on for years. I always felt it was unfair to tell a group of fans to sit down when in full view of them the away fans were constantly on their feet.

On the other hand, stewards are told what to do by the control room however how they go about relaying this to the fans concerned is upto the steward. I was always a believer that if you used a little bit of banter while stewarding you got a much better response.

I was a steward until about 3 years ago (I finally got fed up with not being able to sing) and in that last season NCFC did have FA representatives at the games as they saw the standing in the Barclay as a persistant problem. I think the club needs to treat all fans in the ground home and away in the same manor and enforcing the same rules.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

this is the first chance ive had to post since saturdays game. I really enjoyed my first home game of the season and got merry and cheered the boys on. i sat in the upper barclay snakepit end which i was slightly concerend about due to lack of atmosphere, I tried for most of the first half to get somthing going and there was a bit of singing. Anyway my point is the stewards, they are completey destroying any atmosphere inside carrow road. i was sat on the very very back row ( nothing behind me ) and got asked to sit down three times in the first half! and that wasnt for persistant standing but for standing when there was a potential for a goal ( isnt this normal? ) any way the tw*t of a steward told me at half time i would be leaving if i stood up again. my gf was with me so she asked me just to do as he said so for an easy life i did that, i did not bother to stand sing or do anything to create an atmosphere just as the power crazed stewards like it. untill the 71st minute for the first time in the half i stood for a corner, the steward ran over to me and said i had cctv on me and that i was being recorded and said if i dont sit now he would evict me and i would be banned! what completey took the micky is that a section of donny fans stood up the whole game!

this whole experiance has completey put me off attending home games and just to follow city away. also apolgies to any one who heard me use bad language in frustation at the steward.

[/quote]

Stewards are there for your protection, they were''nt singalling you out, its just that you were not doing what he was asking. If everyone stands at the same time certain peoples views will be impeded and they will hardly get to see the game. That is why stewards are ordered to ask people to repetedly sit down. If they didnt they would get the sack. I know because I used to be a steward at Elland Road. Getting people to sit down is almost impossible. People who repeatedly ignore stewards deserve to be evicted.

I totally agree with you that some of the stewards are way over the top, but they are not guidelines, they are measures put in place for the crowd’s safety. Don''t get me wrong, I prefer to stand at matches, but stewards are told to follow these rules at all times. It''s a shame that some take it too far as in your case.

[/quote]

If they let you stand up then they have to let everyone stand up. There are rules in place for a season, so just follow them.

It may be unfair that away fans can stand, but this isn''t a new problem, just something we have to deal with.

so to make things clear as there seems to be a split divide can you stand up for?

1. corner

2. penalty

3. goal

4. freekick

5. fast attack/goal chance?

because it seems to me that some dont think it is ok to stand for any of the above. Cleary persistant standing is going to be punished and rightly so, but why should standing for any of the above? stewards are there for our safety but some are cleary there on a power trip, who see a saturday afternoon stood in an orange coat a welcoming relief from there everyday environment in which they are dogged and ruled bitched like a lost little child and they only why they can vent there frustration is in that bright look at me im boss orange coat. i tell ya if i saw that steward outside of the club i would swing for him!

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

Hi

For all my sins, I used to be a steward in E block Barclay. The point raised concerning the lack of control of the away supporters was something that we who stewarded E block pointed out on a near weekly basis as this has been going on for years. I always felt it was unfair to tell a group of fans to sit down when in full view of them the away fans were constantly on their feet.

On the other hand, stewards are told what to do by the control room however how they go about relaying this to the fans concerned is upto the steward. I was always a believer that if you used a little bit of banter while stewarding you got a much better response.

I was a steward until about 3 years ago (I finally got fed up with not being able to sing) and in that last season NCFC did have FA representatives at the games as they saw the standing in the Barclay as a persistant problem. I think the club needs to treat all fans in the ground home and away in the same manor and enforcing the same rules.

[/quote]

interesting post and thanks for taking the time to clue us all up a bit more...

Funnily enough a mate of mine did an enginerring degree at Uni and looked at football stadiums, his research led him to find out that its actually safer to stand in a seated area then it is to stand on terracing or remain seated...

Put that in your pipe and smoke it FA!

jas :)

''Stewards are there for your protection''That''s Bullshiit that is. They''re there for health and safety and to stop damage to seats caused by feet resting on them.

If you dont like the stewards at Carrow Rd., try the stewards at Prison Pride Park. A couple of years ago they were abnoxious and made a small situation of a couple of people standing into a bigger problem while allowing the home support to do what they like re. standing.

BTW., I trust the metal grills in front of the bars still exist?

I have not been back to that ground and prefer the Ricoh instead.

You''re just a man in a jacket, man in a jacket.OR the new version that was sung on saturday in the BarclayYou''re just a c*** in a jacket, c*** in a jacket.Theres one little hitler who stands at the front of the barclay lower E block.   Small man syndrome.

As i put on another thread, i was led down stairs by some head idiot, ops i mean head steward, all i said to him was ''are you implying that our usual steward (who was standing behind him) couldn''t do his job'' with which he replied ''come with me'' he then lied to the police by saying that id refused to sit down but the police stuck up for me by saying that he hadn''t even spoke to me and he was a row in front. After half time the police patted me on the back and said don''t worry he''s a jobsworth. I drink with E-block stewards after the games, and they get fed up with ''can u sit down please'' they would rather let us stand and get some atmosphere into Carrow road. Its all to do with the Family orientated direction the club wants. we are only allowed to clap and Tut.

There was a little man who used to wear a baseball cap and nothing else at the local nudist club. He used to run about telling members to take their clothes off because it was a club rule and he was on the Committee. He gave up after a couple of years and left the Club as no one took any notice of him. I wonder if he moved to steward the Lower Barclay? You could suggest he moves on!

Whether people agree with me or not, it''s my opinion that the E block stewards (with whom I worked) M + K are the best stewards in the ground. SOME head stewards unfortunately do not have their same approach and unfortunately get too involved when their input is not required.

[quote user="barclay_troy"]As i put on another thread, i was led down stairs by some head idiot, ops i mean head steward, all i said to him was ''are you implying that our usual steward (who was standing behind him) couldn''t do his job'' with which he replied ''come with me'' he then lied to the police by saying that id refused to sit down but the police stuck up for me by saying that he hadn''t even spoke to me and he was a row in front. After half time the police patted me on the back and said don''t worry he''s a jobsworth. I drink with E-block stewards after the games, and they get fed up with ''can u sit down please'' they would rather let us stand and get some atmosphere into Carrow road. Its all to do with the Family orientated direction the club wants. we are only allowed to clap and Tut.[/quote]

you werent the chap im guessing in his 40s/50''s led down the stairs nearest to Block D were you????? saw you being led down if so...

Why would it be safer to stand in a seated area than in a standing area only, to me thats bolloxs, in a seated area you have those little things called seats which are an obstruction and using common sense, you must surely be liable to fall and trip than in a standing area where there are no obstructions. Its the rules. we sit down or get out, we don''t need to be standing unless some muppet stands in front of you, then we have no choice.

The stewards that walk up and down the aisle between C and D block of the barlcay are a joke! They just stand there staring at you if you are standing up which doesnt make any difference whatsoever!

so to make things clear as there seems to be a split divide can you stand up for?

1. corner

2. penalty

3. goal

4. freekick

5. fast attack/goal chance?

[/quote]

Add Defending and midfield to that and you''ll be stading for the entire match!

[quote user="Canary Nut"]

You cant stand up at a football ground but its ok to stand on a packed train doing 80mph!!!

Ive checked out the legality of this with the railway Health & Safety.

[/quote]

I think you might be missing the point...how long have the FA run rail travel?

[quote user="CanaryRyan"]The stewards that walk up and down the aisle between C and D block of the barlcay are a joke! They just stand there staring at you if you are standing up which doesnt make any difference whatsoever![/quote]

Bring back Rob! you could have a laugh with him!

The Stewards really, really p**s me off.  I have to tell the steward in the lower barclay to move out of my way (I''m sitting down as I''ve beeen told) because this plum is totally blocking my view whilst telling other people to sit down.  Change the bloody record.  What makes things more bizarre is the fact that we used to have the Jim Bowen look a like steward and he seems to have been replaced with a Bully look a like.  Jesus, it''s like Sunday tea time in 1989.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="barclay_troy"]As i put on another thread, i was led down stairs by some head idiot, ops i mean head steward, all i said to him was ''are you implying that our usual steward (who was standing behind him) couldn''t do his job'' with which he replied ''come with me'' he then lied to the police by saying that id refused to sit down but the police stuck up for me by saying that he hadn''t even spoke to me and he was a row in front. After half time the police patted me on the back and said don''t worry he''s a jobsworth. I drink with E-block stewards after the games, and they get fed up with ''can u sit down please'' they would rather let us stand and get some atmosphere into Carrow road. Its all to do with the Family orientated direction the club wants. we are only allowed to clap and Tut.[/quote]

you werent the chap im guessing in his 40s/50''s led down the stairs nearest to Block D were you????? saw you being led down if so...

[/quote]Im afraid i am. First time in 6 years, and im 43 today ta, forget 50''s

yeh we saw you mate.... fair do''s that the police saw what happened.... sorry for making you older than you were! lol!

I am going to say something really nice about the stewards in our section. We are at the end of E block going into D block and the back 10+ rows stand up for the entire match. The two stewards in control here (plus police) let it go. They know most of us will only stand the entire game. Yes, it maybe illegal, but I feel for the stewards, they are only doing their job and it''s almost impossible to make someone sit down at a football match if their natural inclination is to stand. L Barclay D/E block is where most of the singing originates from and maybe our stewards just turn a blind eye.

I am sure if they put their minds to it they could make a concerted effort to get us to sit down but they let it rest and let us get on with watching a match. If you like sitting at a match you have vast areas of the ground in which to sit in comfort and see everything.

Is it anymore dangerous standing. Not in my experience, and well done to the poster who flagged up the standing on a train!

The away section is variable, sometimes they are allowed to stand all game, sometimes not. If they are at the back and not getting in anyone''s way and just supporting their team why not?

Sounds like the stewards at your end have it about right Gazza.  Provided there''s no danger to anyone there, and providing nobody is going out of their way to make a nuisance of themselves, where''s the problem ?  I used to stand in the River End when I was from 8 years old up to teenage years in the terraces, often on a milk crate when I was younger.  The stewards / police didn''t tell me to do anything, or anyone else in the ground for that matter, unless someone was daft enough to start a fight, (which happened near to me once in that time) if I recall correctly most of them were just watching the game.  And amazingly enough, I survived.

Exactly Blah, I was too lucky enough to have experienced life of the terraces and would love it to happen again. I spent many a happy year perched on an old Corona crate in the River End before graduating to the Barclay.

The only fight which I was ever involved in at CR was strangely enough in the City Stand in a cup game against Leyton Orient. We were given tickets in there and sadly some Orient fans made themselves known and started picking fights, they were beaten off by an old guy and the famous cushions! No stewards to be seen then, nor Police. Bizarre when you think about it now and everyone I tell this story to who''s under the age of 30 doesn''t believe anything like that could happen at a football match. So beware the terror of the City Stand everyone. Lol.