Sign in to follow this  
spm2866

Dundee Utd chairman Thompson dies

This is just a quote nothing more.......

Thompson was quoted as saying: "You can change your wife, your house, your car but you can never change your team. Chairmen come and go, boards come and go but the fans remain. They are the one true constant. I''ve just been a custodian of the club."

All football club owners should stand by these words......

I say this with all honestly,i don''t think there has been a more supporting or devoted chairman at any club.Thompson was a supporter, and that showed in the way he worked at the club. He trusted the managers not only with money but also with his heart and as a consequence he made sure that there was no failure. I am not a dundee united fan, but, if i was them. i would feel honoured to have been associated with a club of which a great man was.it is always the case that the good are smited and the bad remain.

I was reading about him this morning. Sounds a remarkable man. Came in when they were struggling, turned loss into profit within a couple of seasons and set up a fans trust that ended up owning quite a large part of the club.

Shame there are not more people in football like him-perhaps one of the last "old type" Chairmen in football, loss to more than Dundee United, who were a real force in Scottish football for a while-didn''t they get to a European Cup semi final?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

I was reading about him this morning. Sounds a remarkable man. Came in when they were struggling, turned loss into profit within a couple of seasons and set up a fans trust that ended up owning quite a large part of the club.

Shame there are not more people in football like him-perhaps one of the last "old type" Chairmen in football, loss to more than Dundee United, who were a real force in Scottish football for a while-didn''t they get to a European Cup semi final?

[/quote]

they did.. infact it was in the 70''s and 80''s for a period that it was between dundee utd and Aberdeen for all the trophies up there.. Celtic and Rangers were small fry back then.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

they did.. infact it was in the 70''s and 80''s for a period that it was between dundee utd and Aberdeen for all the trophies up there.. Celtic and Rangers were small fry back then.

jas :)

[/quote]Hardly smal fry Jaz, Celtic won the title 11 times in the 70''s and 80''s and Rangers won it 5 times. Doesn''t leave many [;)]Eddie Thompson seemed like a bit of a star though all the same. Shame.

didnt know anything about the block until they covered him on football focus (or similar program) before scottish cup final. they was talking about his illness and he was saying how he so proud they reached the final. seemed a very nice bloke from what i could gather off the program.