Sign in to follow this  
we8wba

Championship - Match Fixing

I would have thought that Carroll could have had more influence on the result if he had stayed on the pitch.  If he goes off, Bywater comes on after all.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I would have thought that Carroll could have had more influence on the result if he had stayed on the pitch.  If he goes off, Bywater comes on after all.
[/quote]

You''ve obviously never seen Bywater play[:|]

I wonder if we would be awarded the points if it was proven? That would be ironic!There have been a lot of very poor refereeing decisions recently as well so it could be any number of games!

[quote user="we8wba"]

if any game is found to be fixed/have someone trying to fix it

doncaster 1-0 up vs 10 men barnsley half time

imagine odds on barnsley to over turn that at half time?

then win 4-1

[/quote]That''s the obvious one, but the Barnsley man was sent off after half-time.

fixing a footbal game is nigh on impossible unless all 11 players are in on it... (Marseille 1993 champions league run)..

Take our game for example.. Carroll gets sent off.. now, supposing  someone in Asia has a large amount of money on us to score, say in the 56th minute... (not sure what the exact time of the goal was... for the sake of arguement we will use 56th minute), Carolls off.. now what? the better must think he''s going to win the bet as we will score the penalty, which we did, but what if Sammy Clingan had skied it over the cross bar.. or if Bywater had saved it?

i don'' thtink theres anything in it.... its much harder to rig a game with just 1 person..

jas :)

[quote user="Salahuddin"]

From what Fingers has said the Norwich game looks to be the one to me. If the odds during half time were as he indicated then it''s got to be. Obviously if it was the one, the plan went wrong. As with any fixing tho it was always going to be far from guaranteeed. giving away a pen and having a player sent off would be enough to make Norwich strong favourites but not guaranteed to win. If it was the game the people betting on it forgot one important thing. Norwich are appalling.

From the betting forum, sad but true.

[/quote]

thing is how would Roy Carroll know what the odds at half time were when he''s sitting in the dressing room listening to Paul Jewell talk crap...?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Salahuddin"]

From what Fingers has said the Norwich game looks to be the one to me. If the odds during half time were as he indicated then it''s got to be. Obviously if it was the one, the plan went wrong. As with any fixing tho it was always going to be far from guaranteeed. giving away a pen and having a player sent off would be enough to make Norwich strong favourites but not guaranteed to win. If it was the game the people betting on it forgot one important thing. Norwich are appalling.

[/quote]

thing is how would Roy Carroll know what the odds at half time were when he''s sitting in the dressing room listening to Paul Jewell talk crap...?

[/quote]I wouldn''t imagine he would place the bets himself. He could very easily have been sent a text or something - I am sure there are ways and means!

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Salahuddin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn''t imagine he would place the bets himself. He could very easily have been sent a text or something - I am sure there are ways and means!
[/quote]

not so sure jim... takes me back to my previous post i made about how they''d all have to be in on it...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Salahuddin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]I wouldn''t imagine he would place the bets himself. He could very easily have been sent a text or something - I am sure there are ways and means![/quote]

not so sure jim... takes me back to my previous post i made about how they''d all have to be in on it...

[/quote]You will never get a whole team in on it. Whilst its called "match fixing" what gos on in football tends to be more about individual players doing what they can to influence a game. With the amount of things its possible to bet on during football matches now (or cricket matchs or a whole number of sports) then I assume they don''t actually need to fix the result of the match! Who knows what has gone on. No doubt we will fidn ut in tiem although i''d imagine this sort of thing si very hard to prove!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Salahuddin"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn''t imagine he would place the bets himself. He could very easily have been sent a text or something - I am sure there are ways and means!
[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s not about the player making bets, it''s about the player getting paid thousands by the betting syndicates to throw the match.

This whole  thing makes me feel sick in the pit of my guts. The FA need to come out quickly and state which game they are investigating. Thinking beyond this game it would seem a very good reason for banning loan players as players with a loyalty to "their" club would, I assume, be less likely to try and fix a game for the opposition.

[quote user="PBTC"][quote user="we8wba"]

then win 4-1

[/quote]

That''s the obvious one, but the Barnsley man was sent off after half-time.
[/quote]

"Traders for British firm Spreadex noticed "a massive movement at around half-time...In this case the handicap made an enormous, unexplained swing that would indicate a major on-field event when nothing of that nature had occurred. However, later in the match a major on-field event did occur.

From the report, it looks like they were referring to an event after half time.

[quote user="Bobert"]This whole  thing makes me feel sick in the pit of my guts. The FA need to come out quickly and state which game they are investigating. Thinking beyond this game it would seem a very good reason for banning loan players as players with a loyalty to "their" club would, I assume, be less likely to try and fix a game for the opposition.[/quote]

I love the impression some people have of loan players. By attempting to fix the game any player has no loyalty to the sport of football, and would do it no matter who he was playing for.

[quote user="NCFC_Thain"]"Traders for British firm Spreadex noticed "a massive movement at around

half-time". An expert, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said he

had "not seen anything like this in 10 years of working in the

industry" and expressed concern for "the integrity of the English game".In

the Asian gambling market it is common to place a handicap on one of

the teams. In this case the handicap made an enormous, unexplained

swing that would indicate a major on-field event when nothing of that

nature had occurred. However, later in the match a major on-field event

did occur.
After investigating what our source described as

"strange patterns" in betting, The Sunday Telegraph sent a document to

the FA and the Gambling Commission on Friday. An FA spokesman said: "We

will consider any evidence which is brought to our attention. We are

committed to thoroughly investigate any allegations of this nature."The

FA and the Gambling Commission do not have jurisdiction in the case of

overseas bookmakers but do have to uphold the integrity of the game.

The enormous financial power of the Asian gambling industry has long

been a concern to regulators in this country.The two

Philippines-based bookmakers on which the swing was detected are SBOBET

and IBCBET. There is no suggestion of impropriety on their part. Both

bookmakers declined to comment."[/quote]half-time movements, and thats BEFORE the pies!!!sure, this puts a different colour on it,,,

The FA this morning are still declining to say which clubs are involved and say they have not spoken to any clubs at this stage.  Today they begin evaluating the evidence provided by the spread betting organisation.

Interestingly, however, the Telegraph are today reporting that the match involved contained two incidents - Norwich v Derby certainly had two incidents - the linesman being replaced by the fourth official apparently through injury in the first half and also, of course, Carroll being sent off.

Not sure if an injured linesman would count as an incident but it''s certainly unusual of course.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

The FA this morning are still declining to say which clubs are involved and say they have not spoken to any clubs at this stage.  Today they begin evaluating the evidence provided by the spread betting organisation.

Interestingly, however, the Telegraph are today reporting that the match involved contained two incidents - Norwich v Derby certainly had two incidents - the linesman being replaced by the fourth official apparently through injury in the first half and also, of course, Carroll being sent off.

Not sure if an injured linesman would count as an incident but it''s certainly unusual of course.

[/quote]imo - i''d be doubtful if its a champs club involved - surely its more likely to be league 2/non leagues??? where players earning small beer could be tempted to influence the outcome of their match???

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

imo - i''d be doubtful if its a champs club involved - surely its more likely to be league 2/non leagues??? where players earning small beer could be tempted to influence the outcome of their match???
[/quote]

It was a Championship game.

Or you could also say that a penalty and a sending off are two fairly major incidents even though they happened at the same time!

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]imo - i''d be doubtful if its a champs club involved - surely its more likely to be league 2/non leagues??? where players earning small beer could be tempted to influence the outcome of their match??? [/quote]

[/quote]for sure??? if so, imo barnsley/donny could fit the bill - probably their players will be among the lower earners in the league...

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

imo - i''d be doubtful if its a champs club involved - surely its more likely to be league 2/non leagues??? where players earning small beer could be tempted to influence the outcome of their match???
[/quote]

[/quote]

for sure??? if so, imo barnsley/donny could fit the bill - probably their players will be among the lower earners in the league...
[/quote]

YES IT WAS A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

Whilst I will grant you that the score swing in that game is suspicious the problem is it would have to have been several players in on it whereas these things tend to relate to individual players doing something to try and influence the game.

It was not the Norwich V Derby game. Because...

it was apparantely a game from last season. From the BBC Gossip.

The FA is to investigate match-fixing claims into a Championship game last season after strange betting patterns. (Various)

[quote user="Stevee Wonder"]

It was not the Norwich V Derby game. Because...

it was apparantely a game from last season. From the BBC Gossip.

The FA is to investigate match-fixing claims into a Championship game last season after strange betting patterns. (Various)

[/quote]

Well various other sources including the telegraph have said it was a "recent" championship game and I think i''ve also seen reference to it being 2 weeks ago somewhere as well. BBC gossip is hardly gospel!

[quote user="dhickl"][quote user="PBTC"][quote user="we8wba"]

then win 4-1

[/quote]That''s the obvious one, but the Barnsley man was sent off after half-time.[/quote]

"Traders for British firm Spreadex noticed "a massive movement at around half-time...In this case the handicap made an enormous, unexplained swing that would indicate a major on-field event when nothing of that nature had occurred. However, later in the match a major on-field event did occur.

From the report, it looks like they were referring to an event after half time.

[/quote]Yes, was just correcting we8wba. That match doesn''t fit for me, even if you knew Doncaster were about to have a man advantage the odds wouldn''t be worth it since they were already ahead by half-time.

Fair enough. Seems like pretty  much everyone is guessing as to when/how etc it happened?

We may never know, or we might find out in the next couple of weeks.

It would take more than one player in a team to reliably "fix" the result of a match, in this day and age it''s unlikely that enough would be prepared to do so and if a non compliant player was approached he would soon blow the gaff.

The only single individual capable of influencing the result, the referee, even he is part of a four man team and it would take some really weird and one sided decisions from him alone to have an effect, and we seldom see that. . . ., do we ?

[quote user="Woodstock"][quote user="we8wba"]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/7665670.stm

and fans discussing it on forum

http://site.forum.betfair.com/jive3/betex/ThreadsFrameset.jsp?forumID=25&threadID=1699734

dodgy matches apperently out of

barnsely v doncaster

and

norwich v derby

[/quote]

They also need to look at:

Coventry v Norwich
Nowich v Blackpool
MK Dons v Norwich
Norwich v QPR
Barnsley v Norwich

[/quote]what about Bristol City v Norwich City last season.[8o|]