Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Match Fixing - Norfolk MP to ask question in Parliament

[quote user="a1canary"]I take it everyone is chosing not to mention exactly what went on in the match in question, how it was lost and who the players involved were, through fear of libel? That would be understandable i guess. But I don''t see how the finger can be pointed at Derby here because match fixing by its very nature involves the losing team, who do so from a position of advantage, thus creating sufficient odds to make a return.

When i think about it, it makes me feel slightly sick.[/quote]

God knows whats gone on, but would be very surprised if more than one or two players are involved, assuming any wrongdoing has taken place.

[quote user="a1canary"]I take it everyone is chosing not to mention exactly what went on in the match in question, how it was lost and who the players involved were, through fear of libel? That would be understandable i guess. But I don''t see how the finger can be pointed at Derby here because match fixing by its very nature involves the losing team, who do so from a position of advantage, thus creating sufficient odds to make a return. When i think about it, it makes me feel slightly sick.[/quote]We were losing at half time but still favourite to win, the odds show that someone knew that some thing would happen in second half and home team would come through to win. Work it out from there as we are not allowed to say much more.

[quote user="a1canary"]I take it everyone is chosing not to mention exactly what went on in the match in question, how it was lost and who the players involved were, through fear of libel? That would be understandable i guess. But I don''t see how the finger can be pointed at Derby here because match fixing by its very nature involves the losing team, who do so from a position of advantage, thus creating sufficient odds to make a return. When i think about it, it makes me feel slightly sick.[/quote]

I don''t think you understand what is alleged to have happened. At halftime, when Norwich were losing and with no factors to suggest that Norwich would go on to win the match, a large amount of money was placed on a Norwich win. The amount would not be deemed suspect if an event had of happened towards the end of the first half to suggest a Norwich comeback, but at that time no event had occurred. Maybe an event did happen early in the second half that gave Norwich a sufficient advantage, but by this time the money had already been laid.

Don''t forget that not all good plans work out. Even if an attempted fix did occur, the actual result may have brought home no return for the individuals involved.

Look back at every match fixing incident that has ever been uncovered, it nearly always involves a team losing when they''re not expected to. I didn''t say the whole team is involved necessarily, it''s often just one player or two. Things are difficult to prove however as it''s one word against another. Even when Grobelaar was caught saying dubious things to the paper in a sting, they never managed to make anything stick on him in court. There were loads of instances of him letting in dodgy goals, but how do you prove it wasn''t just because he was an ''eccentric'' keeper as opposed to anything more dodgy?

Having said all that, i don''t believe for a second that any of our players were involved in anything dodgy, but i do think that there is something to be made out of it if someone wanted to, and that could be incredibly disruptive to us and our season.

I don''t think you''ve read the original article clearly Matt. Let me quote you from the original Sunday Telegraph article:

"...the document highlighted extraordinary betting patterns in the Asian market during the match in which traders for British firm Spreadex noticed "a massive movement at around half-time".

Caroll was sent off on 50. I think that qualifies as ''around half time'' don''t you?

When a team is losing 0-1 at half-time at home I think it''s quite normal to expect the home team to come back, given a bit of luck.  I would imagine that most home teams statistically do come back, and I have actually won bets in the past on Norwich doing this, so I wouldn''t be surprised to see punters backing Norwich at half-time. Incidentally, the odds are normally 22-1 on Ladbrokes to be losing at half time and then to win in the second half.

I personally think that this is a load of garbage, having seen the sending off when at the match and also replaying on video. It is clear from the video that the goalkeeper is extremely gutted at being sent off. 

[quote user="a1canary"]I don''t think you''ve read the original article clearly Matt. Let me quote you from the original Sunday Telegraph article: "...the document highlighted extraordinary betting patterns in the Asian market during the match in which traders for British firm Spreadex noticed "a massive movement at around half-time". Caroll was sent off on 50. I think that qualifies as ''around half time'' don''t you?[/quote]

No, because the sending off would be a logical reason for money to be laid on a Norwich win, so there would be nothing "extraordinary" about it.

The same article goes on to say "In the Asian gambling market it is common to place a handicap on one of the teams. In this case the handicap made an enormous, unexplained swing that would indicate a major on-field event when nothing of that nature had occurred. However, later in the match a major on-field event did occur.", this can only relate to one incident, and that doesn''t involve our keeper going walkies at the end of the match.

Sorry but all the speculation in these threads is actually on the final result...where has it said that that was the bets that brought this to the attention of the authorities. In matches these days you can bet on anything such as corners, sendings off, yellow cards, number of words said by the commentator etc. etc. It could have been that a penalty would have been awarded? Well, how many games have we played this season when a penalty has been awarded?

I was about to say the same yellow blood.

Also, it seems a lot of people are assuming something''s definitely happened - for all we know it could just be a coincidence.  Not saying it is, but we know hardly anything at the minute but are jumping to all sorts of conclusions.

Dr Ian Gibson now on Look East with fantastic glowing green hair - well it is nearly Halloween...

And that''s how seriuosly I''m taking this ''issue''.

I''m not going to comment on speculation for libel fear etc, but what I will say is that this either proved or unproved allegation (whichever side) needs to be cleared quickly otherwise the rest of the season will have a dark suspicious cloud over it. I can see opposition fans having a field day unless this is sorted out quickly and poor team performances.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I''m not going to comment on speculation for libel fear etc, but what I will say is that this either proved or unproved allegation (whichever side) needs to be cleared quickly otherwise the rest of the season will have a dark suspicious cloud over it. I can see opposition fans having a field day unless this is sorted out quickly and poor team performances.[/quote]We don''t need opposition fans to do that, There are plenty on here that are drooling at the mouth right now in the expectation that they will have another stick to beat our club with!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="norfolkchance1"]I''m not going to comment on speculation for libel fear etc, but what I will say is that this either proved or unproved allegation (whichever side) needs to be cleared quickly otherwise the rest of the season will have a dark suspicious cloud over it. I can see opposition fans having a field day unless this is sorted out quickly and poor team performances.[/quote]We don''t need opposition fans to do that, There are plenty on here that are drooling at the mouth right now in the expectation that they will have another stick to beat our club with![/quote]We''re doomed I tell you! Doomed! [:''(] [:''(] [:''(] [:''(] [:''(]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="norfolkchance1"]I''m not going to comment on speculation for libel fear etc, but what I will say is that this either proved or unproved allegation (whichever side) needs to be cleared quickly otherwise the rest of the season will have a dark suspicious cloud over it. I can see opposition fans having a field day unless this is sorted out quickly and poor team performances.[/quote]We don''t need opposition fans to do that, There are plenty on here that are drooling at the mouth right now in the expectation that they will have another stick to beat our club with![/quote]You really have a fine opinion of your fellow supporters don''t you Lappin[:(]

Can''t believe I''ve had a post removed where I stated that I don''t think we''ve been up to anything dodgy.

Last time I try to defend our club.

lol

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="norfolkchance1"]I''m not going to comment on speculation for libel fear etc, but what I will say is that this either proved or unproved allegation (whichever side) needs to be cleared quickly otherwise the rest of the season will have a dark suspicious cloud over it. I can see opposition fans having a field day unless this is sorted out quickly and poor team performances.[/quote]We don''t need opposition fans to do that, There are plenty on here that are drooling at the mouth right now in the expectation that they will have another stick to beat our club with![/quote]

You really have a fine opinion of your fellow supporters don''t you Lappin[:(]
[/quote]I have all the time in the world for our supporters Astro, but people who come on here, hoping we lose, are relegated, constantly knocking our board, our manager, our players and yes even our fans hardly qualify as "supporters" in my eyes.

Those who are drooling over what''s happening right now with the alleged MF issue are not worth worrying about.  I am worried for the future of our club, and will back the yellow and green all the way.  It''s times like this when all fans should be pulling in the same direction.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="norfolkchance1"]I''m not going to comment on speculation for libel fear etc, but what I will say is that this either proved or unproved allegation (whichever side) needs to be cleared quickly otherwise the rest of the season will have a dark suspicious cloud over it. I can see opposition fans having a field day unless this is sorted out quickly and poor team performances.[/quote]We don''t need opposition fans to do that, There are plenty on here that are drooling at the mouth right now in the expectation that they will have another stick to beat our club with![/quote]You really have a fine opinion of your fellow supporters don''t you Lappin[:(][/quote]I have all the time in the world for our supporters Astro, but people who come on here, hoping we lose, are relegated, constantly knocking our board, our manager, our players and yes even our fans hardly qualify as "supporters" in my eyes.[/quote]And sticking the knife in to make sure the wound stays open, is a sure fire way of getting it healed, isn''t it.

If anything this will bring everyone together. All we (the fans) can do is support our team whatever happens. With the MF thing, people being unhappy with the board, the financial problems and all the other shit thats going on. Lets just go to the games, sing our hearts out and hope that we pick up a decent result.

I guess there were 2 major ''incidents'' in the game.

I have not seen Derby''s second goal yet, I have searched the net and all clips seem to have been pulled?  Does anyone have a link please?[:)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I guess there were 2 major ''incidents'' in the game.

I have not seen Derby''s second goal yet, I have searched the net and all clips seem to have been pulled?  Does anyone have a link please?[:)]

[/quote]

I''m also after a link to the goals because I no longer have the legendary, much loved Canaries World. Do Virgin Media get rid of the goals after a week or something?

Matt, where does it say that the big moves in the market where on a Norwich win? I haven''t seen that anywhere. The sending off and subsequent equaliser would be a reason for the odds to be on a Norwich win. Therefore the money would have gone on a Derby win where the odds would have been good.

[quote user="a1canary"]Matt, where does it say that the big moves in the market where on a Norwich win? I haven''t seen that anywhere. The sending off and subsequent equaliser would be a reason for the odds to be on a Norwich win. Therefore the money would have gone on a Derby win where the odds would have been good.[/quote]

But apparently the bets were at half-time BEFORE the sending off?

[quote user="a1canary"]Matt, where does it say that the big moves in the market where on a Norwich win? I haven''t seen that anywhere. The sending off and subsequent equaliser would be a reason for the odds to be on a Norwich win. Therefore the money would have gone on a Derby win where the odds would have been good.[/quote]

Thats the whole point A1 and what drew attention to it. The bets went on before the sending off and penalty. According to people on the betfair forums the bets went on during half time and so much money was put on that the odds on a Norwich win went from the equivalent of 9/2 to 6/4 in the space of the 15 minute interval.

That''s just speculation on the forums. The only facts we know are that the bets were placed ''around'' half time and came from asia. We don''t know what the bets were on or if they were placed during half time or if they were before or after the penalty. There is live game betting so it''s perfectly possible for the bets to have gone on at 52-55 minutes for instance.

[quote user="a1canary"]That''s just speculation on the forums. The only facts we know are that the bets were placed ''around'' half time and came from asia. We don''t know what the bets were on or if they were placed during half time or if they were before or after the penalty. There is live game betting so it''s perfectly possible for the bets to have gone on at 52-55 minutes for instance.[/quote]

The bets are stated to have happened before the "on field event" and the bolke in question was tracking them at the time.

Can we replay the game please? :)

Only if they dont make me sit through and watch it again - it was bad enough the first time!