Sign in to follow this  
Webberlution

Pubs for Tomorrow?

Anyone got any suggestions for pubs for pre-game drinks in Bristol tomorrow?

Preferably not a Wetherspoons, something with a bit of character and where I''ll leave with all my front teeth!

North Street, Bedminster has a few good bars / pubs and is only ten mins walk from the ground

I''d recommend The Spotted Cow, Hen & Chicken, The Lounge & Tobacco Factory

Would probably steer clear of any others closer to the ground if I were you

[quote user="Hamster"]

North Street, Bedminster has a few good bars / pubs and is only ten mins walk from the ground

[/quote]

How about Bargin booze and then just hang around the ground!

Me and The Old Man will be going to either the Pump House or the Hatchet. Last season we went too a small place off of the high street, which was good. (even though i wasn''t old enough to drink, but i am now! [:P])

[quote user="Hamster"]

[/quote]

Great names for pubs if nothing else!

[quote user="Hamster"]

[/quote]

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/bristolc.htm

Great site above for info on away days - it has the Hen & Chicken down as one to avoid.  Alas the ones it suggests for Away Fans are on the other side of the river, no idea how far walking from ground.

[quote user="Stella Canary"][quote user="Hamster"]

[/quote]

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/bristolc.htm

Great site above for info on away days - it has the Hen & Chicken down as one to avoid.  Alas the ones it suggests for Away Fans are on the other side of the river, no idea how far walking from ground.

[/quote]a long way

the other side of the rive is a fair trek we parked that way last year was about 25min walk didnt see to many pubs that way either

If you want a really good family type pub/restaurant that is happy to welcome away fans I would recommend The Dovecote Inn, Ashton Road, Long Ashton,nr Bristol.

Myself and a friend accidentally found it last season and it''s well worth paying them a visit. It''s a Mitchell & Butler pub but they do have real ales as well as proper sit down meals. ( the steak was good ). Long Ashton is no more than 10 minutes walk from the ground and the customers are families and slightly older men and women, ie, no yobs.

To get there you need to branch right on the A370 when you reach Ashton Gate - not follow the sign left to the ground - and Ashton Road is on the right. We missed the left turn which is how we found it. There''s a large safe car park - you can leave your car there for free and comfortably walk to the ground - and the locals were so friendly that we went back there to let the traffic clear and for a post match inquest. We were told that Bristol City are planning to build their new stadium on a site directly opposite the pub. 

If you think you might be interested have a look on their website.

Just had a look at the Dovecote lunchtime menu and I''ve made my decision...a light stroll up to the ground after a good lunch and some real ale...for a hearty sing song and a few goals to talk about on the long drive home...bootiful!

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]Just had a look at the Dovecote lunchtime menu and I''ve made my decision...a light stroll up to the ground after a good lunch and some real ale...for a hearty sing song and a few goals to talk about on the long drive home...bootiful![/quote]

Good choice. I hope it''s still as good as it was last year......