Sign in to follow this  
Mutley

Pride, passion and belief

Evening chaps,

After the continuing saga / debarcle / misfortune (delete as appropriate). I thought I would bring something to the party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6SQcq90ezg

One of the happiest moments of my life followed by one of the saddest (approx 20 minutes later). However it got me thinking, yes we lost that day, but to a man I was proud of the boys. I truly believe that every one of them that donned the famous colours that day had hearts the size of their heads and would have bled yellow and green. No loans that day, just a complete and intense sense of loyalty and ownership towards the players of my team. Oh to be in that position again. I worked in the middle of Birmingham at the time (2000-2002) but held my head high that day and for weeks afterwards, despite the verbal onslought. As the title sugests where is the pride the passion the belief. I really worry about the character of the team, the management and of course the executives. We are currently being held hostage by fear. The players are afraid of the management and afraid of being blamed for individual mistakes. The board are afraid of financial consequences and to a lesser extent fan reaction, and Glenn must be fearful of his reputation (although he has got contacts in the game you know!!)

I like everyone else understand the need for a short term fix in the way of loan players, but when does a loan player simply become a hired mercenary?

In general I have no problems with losing (although at this moment in time, and judging by the precarious nature of our league position I certainly do!!) What I do have problems with is the players not giving two hoots about their individual / collective responsibilities. Not being prepared to take a stand, to run their hearts out and to still stand regardless of the onslought. We lost that day in Cardiff but we lost together as one team, one unit, one City. We licked our wounds and came back stronger for it. When will we show that character again, hopefully soon, but with the temporary travelling circus in town I have my doubts.[^o)]

[quote user="Mutley"]

I like everyone else understand the need for a short term fix in the way of loan players, but when does a loan player simply become a hired mercenary?

[/quote]Generally, unless you are talking about one-club men like Ryan Giggs, all modern players are hired mercenaries.  If you think players signed on free transfers care any more about the club than loan players, I think you''re very much mistaken.

See Emile Heskey as a case in point.Ooooh, what''s that Emile? You''re playing really well for the first time in 4 years? And when is your contract due to expire? What a coincidence!

[quote user="Mook"]See Emile Heskey as a case in point.Ooooh, what''s that Emile? You''re playing really well for the first time in 4 years? And when is your contract due to expire? What a coincidence![/quote]Rubbish, he is playing no differently at all.  The difference is people are now actually appreciating what he does rather than bemoan what he doesn''t. Take at look at the games against Russia and Israel from last season and tell me he played poorly.  Take at look at some of his performances from the season before that for Wigan when they were in a relegation battle, he was immense at times especially in the cruch game againt Sheffield Utd when he stepped up and gave  MOTM performance like top players do.Maybe, just maybe he would like to go back to Liverpool because 1) he liked it and 2) he wants to play in Europe?