Sign in to follow this  
Braintree canary

Man Utd Post Mortem

I thought I’d write this before reading the other threads.

I have mixed feelings about yesterday’s match.

First and foremost it was a better result than I feared and I think the general performance probably gave more self-belief to players and supporters alike. Charlton and Helveg are proving to be good signings and Green once again proved that England do have a better keeper than Calamity. Francis and Holt worked there socks off, Huckerby looked as dangerous as ever and Fleming was steady as usual.

However, lets not forget this was a depleted man utd and were there for the beating if we were playing full tilt. I am not one for heckling players at a match but I must say that the 3 players ‘eventually’ substituted were well below par.

Firstly, Svensson. I admit that he improved after a few matches last season but can we really afford to carry him in the Premiership while we have Leon sitting desparate on the bench. Matty is slow and for a tall target man wins remarkably few headers. To cap it all, to insult Leon further, NW brings on Gary Doherty first to replace him. This is a player we’ve had for barely a day and supposedly bought as a central defender . Admittedly, he did a decent job when he came on but for Haeven’s sake what does Leon have to do? Score a hat-trick in the 10 minutes he seems to get.

Secondly, Mattias Johnson. This guy - for the second week running - was so anonymous he might as well of had my seat ! There’s proably a lot of potential there but lets develop it in the reserves and give Squiz a start.

Finally, David Bentley. I’ve read comparisons with Dennis Bergkamp but the only similarity I could see was the ability to persistently pass the ball to a red shirt.

On a last note, why is Jim Brennan not getting a look-in. Didn’t he have a good pre-season. If you don’t want him Nigel - sell him! Don’t let him rot in the reserves all season and then give him away like (too) many before him.

Now, lets go for it at Newcastle. Lets start with LM. PM and JB instead of MS, MJ and DB and make sure we’re not bottom on Thursday morning!

Braintree canary, I have to agree with much what you write. These are the players I think have performed well overall in our opening two games:

Greeno, Drury, Helveg, Charlton, Francis, McVeigh, Huckerby & McKenzie.

Not so well:

Svensson, Johnson, Bentley, and to a lesser degree Fleming and Holt.

Looking at that list it''s clear that our creative and attacking element of our team are not working. McVeigh has come on in both games and added a cutting edege neither Bentley nor Johnson have been able to provide as yet. Huckerby needs support. On the defensive side we will have to wait and see what Doherty can add. Similarly with Safri when he will inevitably replace Holt in the middle.

If McKenzie isn''t going to get a chance up front then can we have a new centre forward please Worthy!

apart from the Bently bit I agree with you. I think Bently was a little guilty of the clever pass into space for people to run on to. Often spotted by the MU players and a risky ploy with team mates who are not expecting you to do it.