Sign in to follow this  
JohnoBono

The Times they are a changin.....Bob said

Since Glenn Roeder became manager of Norwich City we have seen massive changes at the club, but these have not brought about a change in fortunes for the club or team. I just get the feeling that there have been too many changes and they have been too drastic.

It was clear as Roeder took over that something had to be done. The team that Peter Grant had assembled was not up to the job and player confidence had been shot through. There had to be surgery, things had too change. But I feel that the actions that Glenn Roeder went on to take have ripped the heart and soul out of the club. The initial moves and decisions that he made bringing in Martin Taylor and Ched Evans and sending John Hartson packing steadied the ship, and breathed new life into the team. But as the season wore on he became over obsesssed with change. And what is more he appeared to become more worried about playing the loan players he had brought in whether they were up to the job or not, and hence the momentum of that 16 games (or whatever) inbeaten run came to an end and was lost.

I feel what was to happen in the summer resulted in the most serere damage. I believe Roeder in his desire for change and stamping his ''image'' on the club made the mistake in letting Darren Huckerby go. It was going to be a time for new heroes, for new stars to rise, a new dawn. But with the clearout of players he has made he has thrown the stablility out of the dressing room. Then he went through the backroom staff to freshen it all up, from the tea lady to Neil Adams, Kit men to Physios they all went and were replaced. Again stability unity heart and soul was torn out for the sake of I must change this. This has all been to much to cope with. Too many people setteling, gelling and bedding in. Too many fresh ideas and methods and ways of doing things for any sense of continuity. It''s like someone having heart, lung, kidney, face, liver and hand transplants all in the same week. Too much to cope with.

The board have not helped at the end of the day, because the funds clearly were not there for such drastic changes to be falcilitated. Hense we end up where we are now. Roeder has had to go about doing what he wanted to the team by bringing in Loan players. If the funds were not there in the first place for Roeder to carry out his plan why was he allowed to carry it out?

There has been some very questionable decisions made as well which have been cover here before. What is the point of Acrchibald Henville for a start, particulary if he is not even picked in the middle of a defensive crisis? A player like Simon Lappin whoes wages we are paying and is a usefull squad player is let out in the cold. Midfielders playing up front when we have loaned in Strikers sitting on the bench or not even making the Squad. But I am going off on a tangent now.....

...... The point is that I feel there has been too much in the way of change for the club, team to actually cope with. Much of it does now seem to be change for the sake of change. And the changes have been misguided because there has not been the finance or the wherewithall or the ability to make those changes. And in doing so heart and soul has been ripped out of the team and backroom.    

[quote user="JohnoBono"]

Since Glenn Roeder became manager of Norwich City we have seen massive changes at the club, but these have not brought about a change in fortunes for the club or team. I just get the feeling that there have been too many changes and they have been too drastic.

It was clear as Roeder took over that something had to be done. The team that Peter Grant had assembled was not up to the job and player confidence had been shot through. There had to be surgery, things had too change. But I feel that the actions that Glenn Roeder went on to take have ripped the heart and soul out of the club. The initial moves and decisions that he made bringing in Martin Taylor and Ched Evans and sending John Hartson packing steadied the ship, and breathed new life into the team. But as the season wore on he became over obsesssed with change. And what is more he appeared to become more worried about playing the loan players he had brought in whether they were up to the job or not, and hence the momentum of that 16 games (or whatever) inbeaten run came to an end and was lost.

I feel what was to happen in the summer resulted in the most serere damage. I believe Roeder in his desire for change and stamping his ''image'' on the club made the mistake in letting Darren Huckerby go. It was going to be a time for new heroes, for new stars to rise, a new dawn. But with the clearout of players he has made he has thrown the stablility out of the dressing room. Then he went through the backroom staff to freshen it all up, from the tea lady to Neil Adams, Kit men to Physios they all went and were replaced. Again stability unity heart and soul was torn out for the sake of I must change this. This has all been to much to cope with. Too many people setteling, gelling and bedding in. Too many fresh ideas and methods and ways of doing things for any sense of continuity. It''s like someone having heart, lung, kidney, face, liver and hand transplants all in the same week. Too much to cope with.

The board have not helped at the end of the day, because the funds clearly were not there for such drastic changes to be falcilitated. Hense we end up where we are now. Roeder has had to go about doing what he wanted to the team by bringing in Loan players. If the funds were not there in the first place for Roeder to carry out his plan why was he allowed to carry it out?

There has been some very questionable decisions made as well which have been cover here before. What is the point of Acrchibald Henville for a start, particulary if he is not even picked in the middle of a defensive crisis? A player like Simon Lappin whoes wages we are paying and is a usefull squad player is let out in the cold. Midfielders playing up front when we have loaned in Strikers sitting on the bench or not even making the Squad. But I am going off on a tangent now.....

...... The point is that I feel there has been too much in the way of change for the club, team to actually cope with. Much of it does now seem to be change for the sake of change. And the changes have been misguided because there has not been the finance or the wherewithall or the ability to make those changes. And in doing so heart and soul has been ripped out of the team and backroom.    

[/quote]

Good post. I agree wholeheartedly with the points you make.The changes have clearly gone too far,and we are in desperate need of some stability.However,we now have calls to change the board and the manager (again).

[quote user="JohnoBono"]

What is the point of Acrchibald Henville for a start, particulary if he is not even picked in the middle of a defensive crisis?

[/quote]Revenue from names on shirts.  They charge by the letter, you know.But seriously: good post.The radical change of November 2007 was needed, justified, and well carried out.Huckerby - yes, big mistake - particularly with hindsight now that Hoolahan and Roeder appear to have as functional a relationship as Sonny and Cher.  Our match winner is now - wait for it - Lee Croft.And I agree that we can point to the lack of funds all we like, but Roeder does make some bizarre decisions with the players he has available - Clingan to right back against Derby, Russell up front yesterday when we were winning the midfield battle.  He does himself no favours.

[quote user="JohnoBono"]

[/quote]

Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command , your old world is rapidly ageing , please get out of this one if you cant lend a hand , for the times are a changing....arrdee.

Great post, what has Glen Roeder done in the game to make anyone or even himself think he has the most superior knowledge in the game, to change a club from top to bottom? If it had been Sven Erikson, Bobby Robson, Alex Ferguson etc I could have understood the bowing of the club to the superior knowledge and letting him have free reign over all aspects.

Great post Jono. Change is all well and good, but you have to have a cunning plan and as part of that plan the strength yourself to see it through. Maybe Roeder thought he would get more money for players than he was ultimately allocated? Can we be sure?

Some very difficult to understand ins and outs all well summarised by yourself. But as some have also pointed out, change where it''s most needed.....oh well, some things will forever stay the same.

In "Blood on the Tracks," the best Dylan album for me, Bob does also ask "what''s the use of changing horses in mid-stream?", which kind of contradicts his earlier statement.  Mind you, by then he was older, wiser and into Christianity so it probably doesn''t matter.

[quote user="Woodstock"]In "Blood on the Tracks," the best Dylan album for me, Bob does also ask "what''s the use of changing horses in mid-stream?", which kind of contradicts his earlier statement.  Mind you, by then he was older, wiser and into Christianity so it probably doesn''t matter.
[/quote]

Bets Dylan album for me too,and site of his best lyrics about Smudger:[:D]

Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your mouth,
Blowing down the backroads headin'' south.
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth,
You''re an idiot, babe.
It''s a wonder that you still know how to breathe.

Staying on theme :-

I think there''s ''A Slow Train Comin'' and it could be relegation if we are not careful

The Answer is not just blowin in the wind Delia and Co. it''s got to be grabbed with open arms because this club we love could be knocking on heavens door.  So When you gorna wake up and smell just one more cup of coffee. Its clearly World gone wrong and whether you trust us Infidels or not, you and the club is gorna end up Knocked out (un)loaded. Dont sit there like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum saying It anit me babe while The night comes falling from the Sky and our club dies.  We cannot afford that to happen.

[quote user="JohnoBono"]

Staying on theme :-

I think there''s ''A Slow Train Comin'' and it could be relegation if we are not careful

The Answer is not just blowin in the wind Delia and Co. it''s got to be grabbed with open arms because this club we love could be knocking on heavens door.  So When you gorna wake up and smell just one more cup of coffee. Its clearly World gone wrong and whether you trust us Infidels or not, you and the club is gorna end up Knocked out (un)loaded. Dont sit there like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum saying It anit me babe while The night comes falling from the Sky and our club dies.  We cannot afford that to happen.

[/quote]

[8] You say you''re looking for someone who''s never weak but always strong ,

someone to depend on whether you are right or wrong ,

someone to open each every door but it ain''t me babe ,

no no no it ain''t me babe its Roeder you are looking for,. babe.[8]....arrdee.

hulse leaves his ''foot in'' in a bad late tackle imo -  and leaves poor semmy''s ankle ligaments fudged...a ''clumsy'' challenge from adebola crocks kennedy''s ankle on saturday...rusty is booked on saturday for dissent - why??? cos he''s getting roughed up by the huge bristol centre backs...sibs tamed against derby by their 2 massive centre backs constantly barging into his back when the ball was played upto him...against the same type of players at bristol on sat he gets crocked by similar treatmenthas word got around, that to quieten NCFC - just ''rough up'' the city players???  should we be fighting back - cos it seems the refs are letting a lot go this season???

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]hulse leaves his ''foot in'' in a bad late tackle imo -  and leaves poor semmy''s ankle ligaments fudged...a ''clumsy'' challenge from adebola crocks kennedy''s ankle on saturday...rusty is booked on saturday for dissent - why??? cos he''s getting roughed up by the huge bristol centre backs...sibs tamed against derby by their 2 massive centre backs constantly barging into his back when the ball was played upto him...against the same type of players at bristol on sat he gets crocked by similar treatmenthas word got around, that to quieten NCFC - just ''rough up'' the city players???  should we be fighting back - cos it seems the refs are letting a lot go this season???

[/quote]sorry - meant to post this separately!!!but in answer to the question - clearly, roedy had a poor budget to work with a ''cleverly'' try to exploit the loan system to its max - and imo - most of his loan signings have been decent enough - aside from the likes of troy and oj, who are green and raw, and haven''t come off...imo - the hucks thing was all about reody asserting his authority within the club, boardroom and even with the fans - again, on paper hooley looked a good replacement, but has disappointed to say the least...meanwhile, we have suffered from loadsa injuries to key players, meaning players have been chopped and changed about - often outa posi, to fill in - i mean ozi and drury is hardly a first or even second choice centre back partnership and just serves to show how stretched we''ve been...and yeah, i''m despairing with some of roedy''s formations,,,that have yet to bear fruit...also - roedy says he doesn''t do ''favourites'' - well if the team was always picked on merit - then as suggested at the time, rusty and clinkers would have been first choice centre mid pairing a long while ago - for my money starting as early as the home match versus blackpool - as i suggested then, after drawing - a win was vital, and we should have started with our strongest team imo,,,cos clearly- confidence is an important ingredient in building successful teams, and a home win against blackpool would maybe have set the tone for the whole season...just as worthy was forced to rip up his team plans and start afresh after the 4-0 thrashing at arsenal in out prem season, then maybe roedy will be forced into similar re-evaluations after bristol on sat,,,imo - roedy hasn''t made best use of what we''ve got, but after so many changes in the summer, the last thing we needed was so many injuires, and then steffs stupidly getting red carded...i believe roedy will turn the ship around, and don''t be suprised to see lupes starting alongside lita tomoz nite - but clearly, the turners bailing out adversely affected the funds available to loan in a suitable striker...and that is down to the board, not roeder - make no mistake?<>