Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Roeder wants to pass his way out of this division - wrong or right?

More often than not, teams find success in the championship by bludgeoning their way out, like Stoke and Hull did. Roeder has tried to build a team that can pass its way out, but we''re not Arsenal, and i wonder if he needs to change strategy? I hope not and that we can just find a run that gets us out of this.

But it''s funny how one year on from his arrival and we''re back where we started when he arrived - at least in league position terms. :(

Agree about Stoke but not about Hull a1. Hull passed the ball well but could mix it up if needed. It''s a good question though and I don''t know the answer. But it''s true to say that we didn''t want Chris Brown but he would have been more useful on the bench Saturday than Lupoli.

Brown or Lupoli? Lupoli everytime for me but then again sometimes we need Brown.

Do you know the answer?

But West Brom''s team was mostly theirs and far superior to ours. Roeder has the right ideas and has clearly targeted the right sort of players, Iverson, Ameobi etc, but our beloved Board are unable to support him.

[quote user="ridgeman"]I wouldnt mind if we passing the ball about but it seems more like high balls lumped up to Sibierski to me.[/quote]Ridgeman i couldnt have put it better myself. The sooner we get lupoli, hoolagan, bell, stefanovic, otzi, clingan and lita playing week in week out instead of dead ball, marshall lump to sibierskis head, nod on, nobody there the better.

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]I''d rather we stayed in this league playing good football than get promoted playing like stoke.[/quote]

Gotta agree with you there. The way they play just ruins the game.

I would do anything to get back to the Premiership, so I would happily play long ball football. Thats why I wanted us to appoint Tony Pulis as manager because I knew he would mould us into a strong and physical side needed for doing well in the league and the Prem. Look at what has happened since we have tried to play good football with technically average players, it''s not going to work. The only good technical players that we have in my opinion are Clingan and Bell. 

I actually find Stoke quite entertaining due to the long throw ins!

Imo you can pass your way of this division, it''s been done in the past, and Wolves, Brum and Reading are doing it this season.  I''m not sure it''s really an issue about playing passing football, rather that we lack any sort of attacking threat.

[quote user="Regime Change"]Imo you can pass your way of this division, it''s been done in the past, and Wolves, Brum and Reading are doing it this season.  I''m not sure it''s really an issue about playing passing football, rather that we lack any sort of attacking threat.[/quote]

You can defiently pass your way out of this league with quality players, but at this moment in time we dont really have many technical players other then Clingan, Bell and Hoolahan. All the other players are technically average and the only way to go up in the league with our financial restraints is buy bigger mobile players who are a force from set-pieces and also have abit of technical abilitiy. Just look at Mamady Sidibe at Stoke. He might hardly score any goals but he sets up alot and is a real handful for defences. I believe Lita is a handful but Sibierski, Cureton and Koroma won''t cause the other team any trouble whatsoever.

I definatley think that has been our problem this year, we have have been too lightweight, and when our passing game isn''t working we have no back up plan, against QPR we were camped in their half the 2nd half but couldn''t break down their big giant defenders, same against Derby, we got bullied off the ball too often, its more acceptable to have a smaller team in the premiership because you have a lot more time on the ball and its less rough, but in the championship you need players who can stand on their own two feet, as Sibierski has found out!

"Look at what has happened since we have tried to play good football with technically average players, it''s not going to work."

This is what''s at the heart of it imo. Although i do believe if we can ever find/have our strongest, injury free 11 out on the pitch, there will be enough talent out there to win games. But we''re always 1 injury or suspension away from a team that isn''t technically good enough to play the way Roeder wants to.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agree about Stoke but not about Hull a1. Hull passed the ball well but could mix it up if needed. It''s a good question though and I don''t know the answer. But it''s true to say that we didn''t want Chris Brown but he would have been more useful on the bench Saturday than Lupoli.

Brown or Lupoli? Lupoli everytime for me but then again sometimes we need Brown.

Do you know the answer?

[/quote]Me Sir, I know the answer.  It''s simple, you need to be able to do both and play whichever way a certain game or part of game requires.  Very, very few teams have had success playing exclusively one way or another.  Arsenal and Wimbledon spring to mind in being polar opposites of team who played one way.  Anyone watching Barcalona vs Man U last year would have seen Barca pass Man U off the pitch but they could score in 180 minutes.  Has they had the option to be a bit more direct things may have been different.  So there you go, you have to be able to pass and hoof IMO.

John, that is absolutely it, spot on. I should have made that the title of the thread. It sums everything up in one easy sentence!

Agree with Saint too, we need to do both, and it seems at the moment we can''t do either. Oh dear indeed :(

[quote user="a1canary"]John, that is absolutely it, spot on. I should have made that the title of the thread. It sums everything up in one easy sentence! Agree with Saint too, we need to do both, and it seems at the moment we can''t do either. Oh dear indeed :([/quote]

Well now there''s a thing! Worthy continually built teams that could do both and we didn''t want it then, did we?