Sign in to follow this  
Kent Canary

Prediction League - Games Played

Are people who play in less games than others going to slide down the list, ie someone on one point having played in two games is higher than somone with one point having only played one? What?! Anyway, you get my point (i hope)?

We thought about this recently... and the answer I was about to give you didn''t agree with what the table shows!

I think someone who is on the same points but has played less games has a better points-per-game average, in which case they have done better at predicting so deserve to be higher up the table. (Anyone who didn''t play very often would fall down the table anyway, unless they''d done stupendously well in the few games they did play.)

Example from the current table:

15 Borrusia Mortgagecashback, played 2, points 5 (points-per-game = 2.5)
16 Brambo, played 1, points 5 (points-per-game=5)

Brambo has done better.

We''ll have a mini meeting about it tomorrow!

Cheers Vince! Yes, what you say makes sense in that anyone who didnt play very often would slip down the table by virtue of lack of points anyhow, however given the list is sorted alphabetically:

PRSBTP
55 abbies babbies 101001

56 AJFC 201001

Where abbies babbies is higher because of the alphabet, though she has entered less games but with equal points to AJFC

as opposed to

PRSBTP
135 Spawnchester Utd 201001
136 stayingupfc 101001

Which is of course the other way round.

The problem could be if someone misses a game for whatever reason then they will never have the chance to catch up, and that isnt fair, and this is meant to be fun. I can see what youre saying about being more accurate with less ''goes'' as it were, which does seem right. By the way I dont usually think this hard and Im no good with maths so good job its only two matches in..!

Hope you get overtime for moderating out of office hours.

People shouldn''t need to miss a game - they can put in their prediction a few weeks in advance (we could go further ahead if there''s demand). You can always put in your predictions all at once, then update them nearer the time for whatever reason if you feel like it.

p.s. I am in the office, so this is office hours!