Sign in to follow this  
Kingy

Good Perfromance but......

It was a great effort and performance from the boys today especially in the second half. I felt when we scored, we definetly had United worried and we were unlucky not to get a point.

However, this league is all about picking up points and at the end of the season, its about how many we have on the board, not if we were unlucky or not.

Dont get me wrong im not doubting anyone, i felt everyone gave 100% and im optimistic for the rest of theis season if we can keep playing like we did today and be a bit tighter at the back.

If Bentleys strike whcih hit the bar had gone in i honestly believe we would have gone on to get something out of the game.

I dont believe Holt or Jonson were good enough today and feel Mcveigh deserves a chance on the right. Not just because of his goal today, but he also looked lively when he came on againts Palace.

Damien Francis was absolute class today and I feel he could be a big factor if we do stay in the Premiership.

Overall, a really good performance, but hopefully we can get our first win on the board soon.

What did you think???

Kingy

I was slightly worried about Helveg. He made a lot of inaccurate passes and a couple of cynical fouls (especially one on Giggs) - I know it takes time to settle in Premiership but he looked a little shaky. Having said that after plying your trade in Italy for so long he must be decent...

I think this is something to build on, and to make the winners of the league 8 out of 12 times worry at any point during a game is a confidance booster, and this season will be about confidence and guts!!!!!

Agreed all round Kingy. Holt''s first touch in the first half all too often was picked up by the opposition. He worked a lot better in the second. Francis had a stormer and I was really pleased to see Greeno pull off a couple of cracking saves and get the praise he deserved. Interesting to see what Worthy does about the front line this week bearing in mind the difference that Doherty made when he replaced Svensson.

I think we have to remember that Helveg flew back from Poland on Thursday having played 90 mins out there the day before. He did look a bit tired, so maybe Eddy could get the nod on Wednesday to give him a rest. Francis did indeed have a stormer - he looked physically up to it and, should Safri be fit, I would go with those two on Wednesday, especially if Safri is as tough as people seem to think he is. Again (I know XXL will hate me for saying this) Holty stood off too much and did not get tackles in when it was most important to do so. (Remember, he didn''t get a tackle in on Routledge last weekend before the ball was slipped through to Johnson). At the moment I just feel that he is not being as effective as we know he can be, but perhaps he is finding it tougher than some. Still, great for McVeigh to score and nice to hear Alan Smith give us some credit for putting them under the cosh for the last 15/20 minutes.
Neil Adams on Canary Call said our season effectively begins after 28th August. Perhaps it''s then when we can begin to see our true Premiership credentials and when there needs to be some serious picking up of points as any this week would be such a bonus!

Great to see City against top opposition again - don''t think I''ve been so happy in defeat as things do look promising. Hopefully we can turn that into some results!

Another match report: http://www.mrcarrow.co.uk/newsitem.php?NewsItem=15

no, no buts!! Guess what, were not quite as good as Man Utd . There''s no criticism for the players, they all played to their best-today and gave 100%. keep playing like that and we''ll have a great season! OTBC....

Agree with most of the posts - Francis did indeed look a class act, workrate and attitude first class. Also agree with the comments on Gary Holt, we would all love him to succeed but he was a bit off the pace particularly in the first half. All our worries about our centre half pairing seem to be unfounded, I thought they were both outstanding today. i am not a Sven basher, I am sure he as frustrated as we are at the moment, but that is two poor games in a row, Doherty was more effective in the time he was on than Sven over the whole match, and Mckenzie does look good every time he plays - he deserves a chance. I just wonder if we can afford to play Huckerby and Bentley at the same time? How about this for a lineup for Wed
Green
Helweg Flem Charlton Drury
Mcveigh Holt (or Safri) Francis Huckerby
Doherty McKenzie
Altogether a good second half performance, we managed to create quite a few chances.

I think you''re being a bit harsh son, you''re talking about a bloke whose played 90 games for his country and in the world cup and in the euro''s as well as playing for 10 years in serie a, i''m sure that once he''s settled he will prove himself to be one of the best defenders in the premiership!!! We''re better off getting these away games such as man u and newcastle out of the way now, cos they''re seriously tough games, but when you consider that there is at least 10 teams in this league that we should be able to put ourselves on a level with, if we win our home games against them we''ll do ok! Don''t worry guys we''ll be ok this year!

I think Holty & Svennson should be rested. Surely this is why you need squad players to come in to relieve those who are struggling. We have the promise of a very good team and once the Scandanavians get used to the pace of our football, I am sure they will prove to be sound buys. To continue to play them when they are clearly not yet ready will do their confidence no good at all. Liked the look of Docherty and feel he too will be a most useful addition to the squad. A terrific performance but I felt we did give United a bit too much respect and space but having said that, wasn''t their passing and movement superb!

OTBC

holt jonson and sven should not be starting next week.

Infact doherty would get my place on the field ahead of sven if we have not signed Johanson (then doherty would plan in flems position).

Mcveigh sohuld start on the right after that performance!!!!!

Doherty upfront alonside huckerby. - Then int he last 20mins bring on mckenzie for a 4-3-3

Safri in for holt, if not go 4-3-3 all match.

Agree Kingy - whilst our display was very good and should give confidence - it''s points that count - I''ve never yet read a result that read ''2-1 - but the losers played well'' and I''ve never read a league table that read ''21st - but played valiantly/were unlucky etc'' - I just hope that we''re not too many points behind and have to play catch-up - then the confidence goes too.

Agree machoman that it''s points that count but when we look at where our 40 points are going to come from we would probably all have chalked this down as "Nul points" with a sizeable goal difference against. Its the games against potential strugglers and midtable teams which are where we must pick up some serious points. If we come away from some very daunting games early on and perform well it will hopefully build confidence and bed the squad in for those 6 pointers.