Sign in to follow this  
super canary

central midfield..a real concern.

in the sense that they are all in the same mould. pattison,clingan,russell and fozzy. they are,for me,all combative,get stuck in types of players. we need a central midfielder who can unlock defences,play the killer ball and provide ant,art and curo with the chances. they are all good players and we know they can score but they have no service from the middle. one goal in four games is surely testiment to this. i know its not easy to just go out and find a player like this,and maybe we have one in wes,but i really think that in goal,defense and upfront we have enough,we just lack creation in the middle.

[quote user="super canary"]in the sense that they are all in the same mould. pattison,clingan,russell and fozzy. they are,for me,all combative,get stuck in types of players. we need a central midfielder who can unlock defences,play the killer ball and provide ant,art and curo with the chances. they are all good players and we know they can score but they have no service from the middle. one goal in four games is surely testiment to this. i know its not easy to just go out and find a player like this,and maybe we have one in wes,but i really think that in goal,defense and upfront we have enough,we just lack creation in the middle.[/quote]

I think you''re absolutely right.we desperately need a playmaker,and I''m praying that Bell can do that.I thought Hoolahan would be the answer,but for whatever reason he''s disappointed so far.I also think that we were much more creative when Clingan was fit,because he kept the tempo higher.Maybe while Lita is here Sibi could drop into midfield,which is what I''ve always seen as his best position?

I think out of all of them, Russell is the most proven for having the ability to both defend (win the ball back) and attack by getting forward and working with the strikers.

The prospect of maybe Clingan and Russell is still my preferred choice as I think if told to Rusty can adopt that play making role well... however with Bell on the fringes you may be right when you say he is the player we are crying out for.

Based on Glenn''s mentality of Fotheringham is first choice, that means Fozzy and Bell. Where on earth are Russell Clingan and Pattison going to fit in?

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]I think out of all of them, Russell is the most proven for having the ability to both defend (win the ball back) and attack by getting forward and working with the strikers. The prospect of maybe Clingan and Russell is still my preferred choice as I think if told to Rusty can adopt that play making role well... however with Bell on the fringes you may be right when you say he is the player we are crying out for. Based on Glenn''s mentality of Fotheringham is first choice, that means Fozzy and Bell. Where on earth are Russell Clingan and Pattison going to fit in?[/quote]

yep,i think pattison and rusty are good players,not certain on fozzy,but you cant have a midfield full of defensive players. i would,at home especially, have clingers and wes central mid...use wes to create for sib and lita and let clingers do the mopping up.

I said the same things on coming away from the QPR game Super Canary.

Our midfield is devoid of ideas and creativity.

Players who could not create one decent opening in 65 minutes against 10 men at home.  Every time the ball game in to the centre of the park both Russell and Fotheringham looked lost.

They played square ball after square ball all night long between the pair of them... I thought Ray Wilkins (affectionately knicknamed ''the crab'') had resurrected his playing career and re-signed for City on the cheap.

Not seen Clingan, but Pattison, Fozzy and Russell offer nothing for me.

Not ball winners, Dont particulary ''get about'' them, absolutly no creativity, inconsistant, some of Fozzy and Patison''s passing is shocking.

Fozzy takes the free kicks and corners ''cos hes roeders mate'', its not very often it beats the first man!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="super canary"]in the sense that they are all in the same mould. pattison,clingan,russell and fozzy. they are,for me,all combative,get stuck in types of players. we need a central midfielder who can unlock defences,play the killer ball and provide ant,art and curo with the chances. they are all good players and we know they can score but they have no service from the middle. one goal in four games is surely testiment to this. i know its not easy to just go out and find a player like this,and maybe we have one in wes,but i really think that in goal,defense and upfront we have enough,we just lack creation in the middle.[/quote]

I think you''re absolutely right.we desperately need a playmaker,and I''m praying that Bell can do that.I thought Hoolahan would be the answer,but for whatever reason he''s disappointed so far.I also think that we were much more creative when Clingan was fit,because he kept the tempo higher.Maybe while Lita is here Sibi could drop into midfield,which is what I''ve always seen as his best position?

[/quote]

Hoolahan has proved himself capable of doing this in this division, I don''t believe we are playing him in the right way to get the best of him. I simply cannot understand why he was brought on so late against So''ton. He played one peach of a ball out wide in the few minutes he was on and I think he can do it regularly if we set the team/formation up to allow him to. He may well have to be "carried" slightly by the other midfielders (a la Mr Huckerby) but so many players of his type do.

Mark .Y.

Agree with you Beauseant ,maybe Sibierski could revert to a more natural role playing behind two "whipper snappers".

I think we need to play a 5 man midfield, with two of Rusty, Fozzy, Clingan and Patty, with Bell or Holahan in front of them, and the Wingers.It could work, it would mean only one striker, but maybe Lupoli would be able to play the attacking Mid role better than Bell or Holahan.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

I hope this happens too. The first port of call however would be to drop that turd Fotheringham. JC back in the team as captain.

[quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

I hope this happens too. The first port of call however would be to drop that turd Fotheringham. JC back in the team as captain.

[/quote]

Jamie Cureton as captain?! You''re having a laugh!

We need a creative influence in midfield to partner alongside Sammy. Russell and Fozzy are simply not good enough.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We need a creative influence in midfield to partner alongside Sammy. Russell and Fozzy are simply not good enough.

[/quote]

Who else is there to take the captaincy if Fozzy and Russell are not good enough?

[quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who else is there to take the captaincy if Fozzy and Russell are not good enough?

[/quote]

Difficult to say without knowing their characters. Stefanovich may not have the temperament. I would suggest Clingan as a candidate if he has the voice. He''s the nearest we have to a playmaker at the mo. Russell (and Pattison) can do the attacking bit. Hoolahan seems to be a runner rather than a playmaker. Always thought Lappin had the ability to pass from midfield if not the strength. He has his knockers on here of course but I think he was judged too much on his stand in FB role. From having a surfeit of midfielders, how do we get onto this position? Let''s hope Bell is the man.

hoolahan is the man to provide creativity. he is just very short of confidence since roeder slagged him off in public, another great decision by roeder! he needs to start hoolahan again and give him 2-3 games he will get his confidence back.

bell  clingan  fozzy/russell  hoolahan           this is our best midfield and the sooner there playing together and gel the better.

I can''t understand why Roeder has this obsession with only playing one winger. To me it''s a defensive tactic.

I would rather City started with two out and out widemen and had a real go at the opposition. I don''t see how the current system is benefitting anybody. Too often we get pushed back inside our half and our strikers get hopelessly isolated.

I would like to see a midfield of  Croft/Bell    Clingan   Russell    Hoolahan. 

Give the other team something to think about

[quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]

I can''t understand why Roeder has this obsession with only playing one winger. To me it''s a defensive tactic.

I would rather City started with two out and out widemen and had a real go at the opposition. I don''t see how the current system is benefitting anybody. Too often we get pushed back inside our half and our strikers get hopelessly isolated.

I would like to see a midfield of  Croft/Bell    Clingan   Russell    Hoolahan. 

Give the other team something to think about

[/quote]

I''m with you on that one.

I could understand it a bit more when we''re away from home if our home form was excellent, which it isn''t.

As I''ve said on here somewhere else recently... it''s often a sign that your central midfield isn''t strong enough.

Agree with Jimbo and GJP, that is def the best midfield we have at the club at the minute by a garden mile!.You can count the good games that Fotheringham has had on one hand and what in the hell has he ever done to warrant being captain, please enlighten me?!-worse Norwich captain that I can remember!. Centre midfield is the key area on the pitch as anyone know who has played the game.

I still feel we need that either great passer of a ball eg: someone of the ilk of Ian Crook in his heyday if only!!!, or someone who is large (Oh err mrs!) 6 foot plus and totally commanding eg: Bouba Papa Diop(the wardrobe) Portsmouth and ex Fulham I know hes out of our non exsistent price range but that is an example before someone chucks that one at it!.

If ever Roeder gets any money first position to strengthen for sure.....