Sign in to follow this  
National express super guard

where can i take mum in law before game?

as I''m taking mother in law to game on saturday I''d like to give her the full matchday experience, but as I don''t go in for all that normally, I''m a bit lost since the kingsway went, and the ferryboat. where can I take the old girl before the game. I know shes a derby fan but despite being northern she wouldn''t be singing derby county songs!!!!

[quote user="National express super guard "]as I''m taking mother in law to game on saturday I''d like to give her the full matchday experience, but as I don''t go in for all that normally, I''m a bit lost since the kingsway went, and the ferryboat. where can I take the old girl before the game. I know shes a derby fan but despite being northern she wouldn''t be singing derby county songs!!!!
[/quote]on the pi*s...lol

We’ve started having lunch in the Nelson this season. The food is decent, and they guarantee that some of the menu items are gluten free, which is very important for my daughter. The train from London we use gets in at 12.50 and at that time there’s plenty of space and a big table free for us.

If she''s from Derby she should enjoy a cheap burger from one of the vans. Good staple midlands food! For seating you can perch on the wall opposite the travel agents. Sorted.

I am seriously worried for you and that you are being set up.

You must know of the close bond between mothers and daughters, are you sure this is innocent.

You go Mum you know how excited he gets at football matches,nudge nudge.

My only suggestion is keep her and you away from strong drink and hope that City play their usual game. (not much excitement then!!)[6]

Spearmint Rhino?[quote user="National express super guard "]as I''m taking mother in law to game on saturday I''d like to give her the full matchday experience, but as I don''t go in for all that normally, I''m a bit lost since the kingsway went, and the ferryboat. where can I take the old girl before the game. I know shes a derby fan but despite being northern she wouldn''t be singing derby county songs!!!![/quote]

take her to the local shopping centre and accidently leave her behind at 2pm, then it will save you any embarrasment at the football. until the tannoy annoucer requests you go and pick up your lost mother in law

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Squares will let you in.... Theres a cute bit of stuff working behind the bar too.... If i was single...

jas :)

[/quote]

I hope your missus doesnt check up on your posts Jas! lol

[quote user="thecanaryfan"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Squares will let you in.... Theres a cute bit of stuff working behind the bar too.... If i was single...

[/quote]

I hope your missus doesnt check up on your posts Jas! lol

[/quote]

Lol! shes used to my sense of humour now!

Its good fun in the Gunn Club before the match and u can either book a table or you can have the equivatent of pub grub. If you have a car the Golf Club at Dunston Hall serves first clss meals at very reasonable prices and you can leave your car on the way in at the County Council Car Park on Martineau Lane. You can have a quiet drink at the NALGO Social Club too and they used to do meals.Although I have not been in for years (having been banned) Crown Point and the White Horse at Trowes do good meals with parking.. Good beer and a bap is to be had at the Kings Head on Hall Road.........me?. Well at that time of night in Perth (7 hours ahead) it will be dark and I would hope to be heading home from the Red Cray on Gt Eastern Hwy. They tell me they are fully booked but after this plug who knows!!! 

Try the ''Horse and Dray''  good bunch of Norwich fans and sometimes away fans. Food is pukka as well. Always shows the prem match at lunchtime kick off.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

We’ve started having lunch in the Nelson this season. The food is decent, and they guarantee that some of the menu items are gluten free, which is very important for my daughter. The train from London we use gets in at 12.50 and at that time there’s plenty of space and a big table free for us.

[/quote]

Me too the Nelson would get my vote too, pity I have to attend a bloody wedding on Saturday,This is the only home match I will miss,so to make up for it I have decided to make more away matches, I think thats only fair, my wife won''t let me carry a small radio on Saturday so I will have to sit in car for a while, my son is also upset he has had to miss this match as well, but at least he''s sunning himself in Orlando, hope he don''t make himself sick in the themeparks, but coming back to the Mother in Law bit, the Nelson  is a great pub, and if she gets shirty you can always throw her over the rail lol 

Try The Cricketers Rest At Top Of Surrey Street...its all downhill to the ground from there!

Great NCFC Supporters Pub..Great Landlord plus a free BBQ  This Saturday Before Match...

[quote user="National express super guard "]as I''m taking mother in law to game on saturday I''d like to give her the full matchday experience, but as I don''t go in for all that normally, I''m a bit lost since the kingsway went, and the ferryboat. where can I take the old girl before the game. I know shes a derby fan but despite being northern she wouldn''t be singing derby county songs!!!!
[/quote]

I suggest you take her shopping.  Seriously, you could both pick a lovely gift for your wife[G], then go for a pot of tea and cake [^]afterwards (they love that kind of thing) and mum in law thinks you are great, and the perfect son in law for suggeting such a nice thing[:)].  Then off to the match obviously, Norwich win, result![:D]  You get back and give the present to your wife[Y] she is well pleased and delighted to hear that you both had a great time, she rewards you with a ''special treat''[:O][:$][:(]

RESULT, you''re a winner on all fronts.

Brave, very brave, taking the mother-in-law. As a Derby fan she''s from '' the other side '' in more ways than one....

If she fancies a Chinese - meal that is - then why not try the Riverbank Buffet. It''s the second entrance on the right hand side as you walk down Riverside from the station. The place next door is a fitness club which may come in handy with all those excess pounds in tow as you waddle out afterwards.The cooked buffet is very good and they do cook some things for you while you wait. There''s a good variety of '' afters '' too and another nice touch is the free jugs of water on the bar ( makes a nice change from being ripped off on bottled water or fizzy drink )

It''s a big place so you should get in OK. Only weird thing is that make you pay before the meal.It''s about £6 a head and well worth it. Presumably they''ve had too many people leaving without paying. In this case the sight of a 64 year old sneaking out without paying and trying to leg it down Riverside after pigging out in there would probably be better entertainment than we''ll all be suffering come 3.00pm...... 

You don''t want to go spoiling her.... at that age she will probably remember the war years and times of austerity, I reckon some bully beef sandwiches wrapped in newspaper should do the trick

[/quote]

When you get her seated in a good spot you and, if you''re the type to ask "Are you cumfy mum?", then ardee might want to wade in with a warning or two.

I see several of the more mildly "colourful" suggestions have vanished from this thread - have the Pink Un Puritans been at work again to remove any sense of humour from the board?

Or have we now get web team Ned to protect us from offence?

[quote user="barclay_troy"]Try the ''Horse and Dray''  good bunch of Norwich fans and sometimes away fans. Food is pukka as well. Always shows the prem match at lunchtime kick off.[/quote]The Horse and Dray is a marvelous Public House these days.  Great beer and food with incredibly friendly Aussie Service, jolly good indeed.