Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Damien Francis... a sad day.

No, not sad that he''s had to retire, this is a classic tale of footballing karma !.

No, the real sadness here is that this traitor will never appear at Carrow Road again to get what was surely coming his way, possibly the most hostile recption of any former player ever to return.

Tradgedy.

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/sport/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=sport&itemid=NOED03%20Oct%202008%2018%3A40%3A31%3A970

I actually feel sorry for damien francis, cant we see past him putting in a transfer request after we got relegated, I liked him as a player and as much as I disagreed with his decision to put in a transfer request in at the time is it fair to call persistance injuries and being forced into football retirment at 29 which is usually a players prime "football karma". As much as i dislike some footballers i would never wish for them to be forced into early retirment! So i say this, Thanks for the 2 and a half years service you gave us damien especially that goal against west brom! and good luck for the future.

I admire the fact he acknowledged his previous 3 clubs, including Norwich, in his statement. That speaks volumes to me... Good luck to Damo. He wasn''t the only person responsible for getting us relegated that season, despite what some ****''* on here think.

Firstly a point to the original poster....you are a ****.  (put your own word in)

I feel genuinely sorry for Francis.  Cracking player on his day, and although Huckerby took all the plaudits he was massively instrumental in getting us promoted.  I hope he goes on to have a decent career in whatever he chooses to do now.

Assuming I''m one of the *******s you speak of, my issue with Francis was never the fact that we were relegated and how poorly he played at Fulham that afternoon (Infact I''ve never picked him out as the worst player that day). My issue with him is the dispicable way he and his agent conducted themselves the following summer.

As I recall he got his agent to tout his name about every London-based premiership club citing that he wanted to reurn to a top flight club in his home city. After it was apparant none of these were interested he was then pushed in front of Portsmouth who again turned their nose up at him. 

After this we had the disgraceful refusal to play in a pre-season match at Colchester followed by the Inter Milan match where his every touch was booed.

Obviously realising there was no turning back, his desire to move back to London was strangley forgotton about and he ended up 250 miles away at Wigan.

I''ve supported this club for 30 years during which time I''ve seen plenty of our best player move on, so I''m hardly naive enough to think that this doesn''t happen. I however struggle to remember it happening before in such a petulant and dispicable manner in which Francis'' did it.

Maybe I''m heartless but I don''t feel sorry for him or any other footballer who has had 12 years in top flight football, earned himself a fortune and will now get a denet payout on his insurance for the rest of his contract.

If he''s been sensible he''ll have invested his money and be set up for life which most of us can only dream about.

Yes its a shame that he couldn''t play for another few years but I''m sure he''ll find himself a new career and challenge.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Assuming I''m one of the *******s you speak of, my issue with Francis was never the fact that we were relegated and how poorly he played at Fulham that afternoon (Infact I''ve never picked him out as the worst player that day). My issue with him is the dispicable way he and his agent conducted themselves the following summer.

As I recall he got his agent to tout his name about every London-based premiership club citing that he wanted to reurn to a top flight club in his home city. After it was apparant none of these were interested he was then pushed in front of Portsmouth who again turned their nose up at him. 

After this we had the disgraceful refusal to play in a pre-season match at Colchester followed by the Inter Milan match where his every touch was booed.

Obviously realising there was no turning back, his desire to move back to London was strangley forgotton about and he ended up 250 miles away at Wigan.

I''ve supported this club for 30 years during which time I''ve seen plenty of our best player move on, so I''m hardly naive enough to think that this doesn''t happen. I however struggle to remember it happening before in such a petulant and dispicable manner in which Francis'' did it.

[/quote]

Welcome to the world of football...

I''m sure over the years we''ve recieved many a player who''ve also done the same to their respective clubs in order to move to Norwich. But we never complain then. 

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

I''m sure over the years we''ve recieved many a player who''ve also done the same to their respective clubs in order to move to Norwich. But we never complain then. 

[/quote]

I''m sure we have, and I''m also sure that get get stick whenever they go back to their old clubs too , i.e Cureton - Colchester.

I think you forget.......

EARNSHAW

ASHTON

AND ALL THE OTHERS WHO DONE A RUNNER AFTER WE LEFT THE PREMIERSHIP

Please get a grip this man''s career is over, yes he has money but he spent his early life trying to be a professional footballer giving up all what we had and now before he is 30 he has to rebuild!

Its tough whatever position life gives us

Canary fan since 1967

OTBC

No, not sad that he''s had to retire, this is a classic tale of footballing karma !.

No, the real sadness here is that this traitor will never appear at Carrow Road again to get what was surely coming his way, possibly the most hostile recption of any former player ever to return.

Tradgedy.

[/quote]

Prat!

[quote user="CanaryRyan"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Tradgedy.

[/quote]

Prat!

[/quote]

Seconded, in fact prat with knobs on

That''s a shame. Never wish that on a player at any level of football.

Despite him going missing for part of the Premier League campaign he''s a player we''ve never really been able to replace.

Francis was awesome for us in the promotion season. We wouldn''t have got promoted without him and Holt running over all the midfields in the division and allowing Huckerby to do what he does best. I think it''s sad. Yes he actions were poor towards the end of our time in the premiership, but that''s not going to make me cheer a good player''s premature retirement (to whom we owe a lot). It''s just dumb.And it''s true what GJP says: we''ve never replaced him.

What is more interesting to me is why Francis was such an awesome player for us and struggled everywhere else.  It seemed almost as if his footbal soul diminshed irrevocably on that pitch at Fulham.   What makes a good player unable to perform or settle and drift from one unsatisfactory club to another?

Some of you ''fans'' should be ashamed of yourselves. No doubt on the same level of moron as the Spurs ''fans'' launching abuse at Sol Campbell the other week. Damo did an amazing job for us during the promotion season and was one of the stand out players during the Premiership season as well. Would absolutely love to have a player like him in the midfield now. This is really sad news and I have all the sympathy in the world for the guy. Always worked hard and gave total commitment on the pitch. Now his career is over I''m sure he looks back at his few seasons with us and the time after with Wigan as the pinnacle of his career. No doubt he will regret the way he left us but that''s football, sometimes things have to get a little messy.Wish him all the best for the future whatever he decides to do.

Somebody clearly forgot how great he was for us in midfield, and how we haven;t had somebody to replace him since....

Shame, a class player for us.

Best memory of him was against Portsmouth at Fratton Park on New Years Day 2005 when we drew 1-1 with 10 men. Scored a cracker and I was right behind it! Everyone was soaked due to the lack of roof and shit weather but the ''DAMO'' chants were ringing all around. Even Delia came on the pitch at the end to applaud us.Good times.

[quote user="Steve Hopkins"]Best memory of him was against Portsmouth at Fratton Park on New Years Day 2005 when we drew 1-1 with 10 men. Scored a cracker and I was right behind it! Everyone was soaked due to the lack of roof and shit weather but the ''DAMO'' chants were ringing all around. Even Delia came on the pitch at the end to applaud us.

Good times.
[/quote]

Yes indeed Steve, that was a great day to be a Norwich fan. 2000 of us singing in the wind and rain. Most of us making the long journey after New Years celabrations and very little sleep. How didn''t we win that game?? How brave were are players that day?? The conditions were atrocious and we lost Edworthy, sent off after 5 minutes. Who would have given us a prayer?

The Francis volley for the goal was top drawer. Then we dug in and defended so bravely. Jonson played right back like it was his position. The Doc got in the way of everything. Green, who always played well there, didn''t look beatable. But then they got a dodgy pen and Yakubu ended up scoring it three times!!! But even though we played 85 mins with 10 men we still had chances to win. Hucks had a goal disallowed and Brennan hit the post.

Francis didn''t cover himself in glory later but he should be remembered for the good things too.

Thanks for reminding me of that great day Steve.

Yes! lovin it, especially after Lee Clarks honest opinion on the Fulham 6-0 debacle at the recent NCISA meeting at Carrow Road 2 weeks ago, bearing in mind he played centre midfield against Francis and said it was the easiest professional football match of his career and said the City players that day, namely Ashton and Francis should be ashamed of themselves an the way the let down the city fans. He said as soon as it was 2-0 Francis gave up.He said certain city players were disgusting and should have never pulled on the shirt. Its this same mentality that saw the likes of Brellier and Strihavka bombed out 2 days after Roeder/Clark got here, so to speak. And its refreshing to hear in this day and age of player power and ridiculous wages. Nice to see Clark and Roeders beliefs are that every city player should feel privelged to wear the yellow and green rather than just picking up a pay cheque.Take note Mr Martin.

Man, it may be the vodka chatting but that really /was/ a great memory.  Up there with Watford away in the champs season as the best away day I''ve ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

Tradgedy.

[/quote]God yeah didnt think of that, it would have been worse than the Andy Marshall 0-2 loss to the scum. Oh, weve been robbed!

[quote user="YGB"]I actually feel sorry for damien francis, cant we see past him putting in a transfer request after we got relegated, I liked him as a player and as much as I disagreed with his decision to put in a transfer request in at the time is it fair to call persistance injuries and being forced into football retirment at 29 which is usually a players prime "football karma". As much as i dislike some footballers i would never wish for them to be forced into early retirment! So i say this, Thanks for the 2 and a half years service you gave us damien especially that goal against west brom! and good luck for the future.[/quote]I refer you to my post, scroll up, and Lee Clarks comments on him 2 weeks ago at the NCISA meeting.Incidentally and slightly off topic but did Holt play in that 6-0 match?

[quote user="YGB"]I actually feel sorry for damien francis, cant we see past him putting in a transfer request after we got relegated, I liked him as a player and as much as I disagreed with his decision to put in a transfer request in at the time is it fair to call persistance injuries and being forced into football retirment at 29 which is usually a players prime "football karma". As much as i dislike some footballers i would never wish for them to be forced into early retirment! So i say this, Thanks for the 2 and a half years service you gave us damien especially that goal against west brom! and good luck for the future.[/quote]oh my god ive just read the rest of your post.You my friend are not a true city fan.Your obviously blissfully unaware so ill educate you.DAMIEN FRANCIS SINGLE HANDEDLY GOT US RELEGATED WITH HIS THROW THE TOWEL IN ATTITUDE AND COMMITMENT IN THE 6-0 MATCH WHICH RUBBED OFF ON EVERY ONE ELSE IN THE TEAM, WHEN HE WAS THE LEADER ON THE PITCH, IN THE MOST CRUCIAL OF POSITIONS. LEE CLARK CALLED HIM DISGUSTING AND SHAMELESS FOR THAT PERFORMANCE. AND HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN ANY OTHER PERSON ON THE PLANET. CLARK CRUISED THRU 90 MINS IN THE SAME MIDFIELD LIKE A WALK IN THE PARK, AS DID FRANCIS BUT IN AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MANNER.

[/quote]Very insightful GJL, got no reason to dispute your qoutes as im quite sure this happens on a regular basis, just look at the Ronaldo saga. I think the sport of football has 2 types of player. Your Dublins and Huckerby''s and your Francis'' and Cashton/Earnmore''s.....

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Unlikely, we only ever buy players other clubs dont want!Emblen, Bradshaw, Docherty, Graham Stuart, Brellier, Brown! The list goes on...

[quote user="spm2866"]

I think you forget.......

EARNSHAW

ASHTON

AND ALL THE OTHERS WHO DONE A RUNNER AFTER WE LEFT THE PREMIERSHIP

Please get a grip this man''s career is over, yes he has money but he spent his early life trying to be a professional footballer giving up all what we had and now before he is 30 he has to rebuild!

Its tough whatever position life gives us

Canary fan since 1967

OTBC

[/quote]Earnshaw didnt you fool, we bought him with the Cashton money in our first season back in div1, he used NCFC as a shop window. And oh my god, a footballers life is tough? Its by far the easiest and most enjoyable job in the world. Getting paid millions to play football. Its as basic as that. And how tough is that exactly?

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]

Firstly a point to the original poster....you are a ****.

[/quote]You, sir, are a total idiot.Francis is/was an horribly overpaid, braindead idiot who, through his criminally unprofessional and deliberate negligence, directly contributed to our relegation from the Premier League. Especially on that terrible day at Craven Cottage. Or have you forgotten that?Idiot.