Sign in to follow this  
Canary Pirate

Crowd atmosphere

Top championship attendance ( generally only beaten when Derby play at home ) again !

Despite 24,711 hardy ( insane ? ) souls turning up again, the atmosphere was just.....well.....missing.

Reasons ? imo having failed to score in the first 45 mins ( in any league game apart from Plymouth ) we are clearly waiting for the team to produce something ( preferrably a goal ) to get our andrenalin going to enable us to provide the required vocal support, but basically nothing happens apart from we fall a goal behind. Even after we equalised yesterday its as if we didnt really believe we would go on and win the game, but to lose it was a shock !

At least when we had Hucks ( regardless of what we felt about him ) he was our hero, there was always that anticipation, excitement, adrenalin rush when he got the ball, now...... nothing. It seems we are desperately trying to find someone ( good ) with, whom we can say, he''s ours, Norwich through and through, but there just isnt.

We are treated to a stream of loan players whom we fail to identify with and whom probably fail to identify with us( and whats the point of getting excited about someone who will be gone next month anyway ). Before you ask for our undying vocal support before the next home game Glenn, please try and appreciate why it can be extremely difficult.

What do you all think, am I missing something here or what ??? 

Its strange at the moment , and i think you hit the nail on the head,  over the last few seasons even though  the players have been  crap at least there our crap  not someone elses. i`m not slating the loan  players but as i looked out across the pitch yesterday it looked more like a team cobbled together for a testomonial  i found it hard to identify with any of them. Where as before when we`ve been getting battered at least there was a bit of togetherness between the players and the fans  that we were in it together now theres just a big empty void  and i don`t see how it can be filled any time soon,. We`re missing hucks and dion  as talismen, focal points whatever term you`d like to use and its affecting the atmosphere badly. Worrying times indeed [:(]

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]

Top championship attendance ( generally only beaten when Derby play at home ) again !

Despite 24,711 hardy ( insane ? ) souls turning up again, the atmosphere was just.....well.....missing.

Reasons ? imo having failed to score in the first 45 mins ( in any league game apart from Plymouth ) we are clearly waiting for the team to produce something ( preferrably a goal ) to get our andrenalin going to enable us to provide the required vocal support, but basically nothing happens apart from we fall a goal behind. Even after we equalised yesterday its as if we didnt really believe we would go on and win the game, but to lose it was a shock !

At least when we had Hucks ( regardless of what we felt about him ) he was our hero, there was always that anticipation, excitement, adrenalin rush when he got the ball, now...... nothing. It seems we are desperately trying to find someone ( good ) with, whom we can say, he''s ours, Norwich through and through, but there just isnt.

We are treated to a stream of loan players whom we fail to identify with and whom probably fail to identify with us( and whats the point of getting excited about someone who will be gone next month anyway ). Before you ask for our undying vocal support before the next home game Glenn, please try and appreciate why it can be extremely difficult.

[/quote]

with a crowd as big as that (24k plus) you cannot criticise the fans. We hardly had anything to shout about did we?

Nothing to shout about, no technical ability of any notice... means no real atmosphere, just fans on the edge of their seats, afraid for something to wrong...

We want to see performance of note, asap!

It''s difficult to support a team of mercenaries who at the end of the day will go back to their copmfortable lifestyle at their own clubs.

The team that walks onto the pitch in yellow and green is not Norwich City.

Get rid of all the loan players and start building a team for the future. This season is finished already.

There might be some truth in this.  Send back the pointless, Omozusi, Archibald Henville and Sibierski.  Keep Bertrand, Lupoli and Kennedy and throw some of the kids amongst them.

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]

[/quote]

Great post and probably sums up how most are feeling, just to add , what is the point of Sibierski, does he actually contribute anything?

My season ticket is in the Snakepit, and while it started well it got very, very nasty towards the end of the match.  Don''t know if anyone sits in the Watling stand just adjacent to the SP (literally the column next to the tunnel to the bar), but there was something going on with a young lad and his dad - couple of blokes, one in particular, where giving him what looked like a nasty bollocking.  The kid looked pretty upset as well - anyone know what was going on there?Also: what happened with the dude on cutches around the 80 min mark?  Looked like someone tried to pinch his sticks?  As I say, not nice at all.

Like it or not, the lower Barclay tend to create that ''atmosphere'' and lead the rest of the ground in the singing and have a responsibility/duty to start things off.

What a mistake the Club made doing up that bar under the Barclay.

Yesterday it was noticeable that the LB was virtually empty 20 minutes before the match. Too busy supping pints down in the plush bar to be outside creating any kind of atmosphere while the Derby mascot was dancing in front of the away fans and encouraging them to make more noise (which they did).

38 minutes of a virtually silent first half gone and the Lower Barclay start to stream away down to the bar to watch the end of the first half on their plasma screens.

Second half kicks off and the Lower Barclay slowly re-appears from the bar (2-3 minutes after the re-start) and a small chorus of ''Y''army'' starts up then fizzles out.

We score and there''s suddenly some noise. We spend 10-15 minutes looking like we might go on to win the game and there''s even a round of ''On The Ball City" for the first time.

Then it all falls flat again. Second goal goes in, fans start to stream away with 5 minutes plus injury time to go.

OK, it''s a chicken-egg thing if the players are not performing but I find games like yesterday quite embarrassing. OK, I sit in the City Stand and no amount of shouting out the start of a song/chant is EVER going to get anything going but I blame:

a) the Club for making the bar too comfy

b) the Lower Barclay for being more interested in drinking and texting their mates instead of creating an atmosphere

Switch off the plasma screens in there and you might start to make a change.

Play things like ''Daydream Believer'' again over the PA and that might help.

I was listening to the radio commentary of some UEAFA Cup game this week on 5 Live and the home fans (somewhere in Easter Europe) had been in the ground, singing at the top of their voices for an hour before kick-off, building the atmosphere up and up and up until the players arrived. How intimidating is that for the away team?

[quote user="Mr_Chimp"]My season ticket is in the Snakepit, and while it started well it got very, very nasty towards the end of the match.  Don''t know if anyone sits in the Watling stand just adjacent to the SP (literally the column next to the tunnel to the bar), but there was something going on with a young lad and his dad - couple of blokes, one in particular, where giving him what looked like a nasty bollocking.  The kid looked pretty upset as well - anyone know what was going on there?

Also: what happened with the dude on cutches around the 80 min mark?  Looked like someone tried to pinch his sticks? 

As I say, not nice at all.
[/quote]

At the start of the game, us in the Snakepit were singing quite loudly because the stewards were trying to get people to sit down, people were already argueing with them at the start of the game. I saw that incident Mr Chimp, I don''t know what it was about but the guy argueing with the Dad was very aggressive (this was at the start of the second half). Then when we went 2-1 down I saw the other guy slap the Dad a few times. After the game I think they went upto the stewards and complained. Hopefully we will not see him again.

You''re just a man in a jacket...All seemed pretty good humoured though.  As you say, the second half was pretty awful, fans turning on fans is pretty shoddy at the best/worst of times, but picking on a kid is a little beyond the pale.  Was pretty shocked no-one over there made a real effort to get between him and the kid, but I guess in today''s climate no-one wants to get involved.Actually, having said that, a guy in row E (where I sit) sparked a fag up and the one woman who did tell him to stop got the ''your highness'' sarcastic treatment.  Horrible day all round.

it would help if, just occasionally, fans in the jarrold, river end, upper barclay and dare i say it, the main stand, got involved. it makes such a difference when a song goes around the ground and would keep the lower barclay interested. get your hands out from under those rugs!

[quote user="votepedro"]it would help if, just occasionally, fans in the jarrold, river end, upper barclay and dare i say it, the main stand, got involved. it makes such a difference when a song goes around the ground and would keep the lower barclay interested. get your hands out from under those rugs![/quote]

Very well said, the Lower Barclay and the snakepit aren''t the only fans in the ground.  Maybe, just maybe we get fed up of people expecting it from us all the time.

I think in the River End where some people need a little bit of encouragement at times could get a bit of noise going. That is however, before they brought in this bloody family area thing. That message they play before the game and all the bloody signs everywhere saying "Don''t say fuck or bugger" probably puts people off even more. I really don''t know why they even have to call it the family area... its the River End isn''t it?

I couldn''t get there on Sat (work commitments) but I listened on Radio Norfolk and thought that they were comentating from the studio as there was no crowd sound in the background. Its wrong to blame the crowd for this as clearly there is nothing to shout about.

From my boy who went I gather Sibby spent more time sitting on his ar$e than the snakepit and the team looked like that they didn''t know each other.

We as a crowd have always backed effort and commitment in playing for the team. This band of temps should put in more effort but as for commitment, I doubt some of them had even been to Norwich before.

This season is shot, build with kids, get our loanees back and lets see Glen display the management skills he claims to have in moulding a commited team for us to shout about

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="votepedro"]it would help if, just occasionally, fans in the jarrold, river end, upper barclay and dare i say it, the main stand, got involved. it makes such a difference when a song goes around the ground and would keep the lower barclay interested. get your hands out from under those rugs![/quote]

Very well said, the Lower Barclay and the snakepit aren''t the only fans in the ground.  Maybe, just maybe we get fed up of people expecting it from us all the time.

[/quote]

The atmosphere outside the Barclay and the snakepit is pretty deathly even when things are reasonably good (I was in the Jarrold for the QPR game,ie as we were coming off the win at Plymouth,and it was like a morgue), so when things are as crappy as they are now its just terrible. 24000 can make an intimidating amount of noise,but it doesn''t happen.

Sad to think that the season has finished as I don''t get back to Carrow until the end of November and I haven''t seen a match yet. I thought the loanees were a good idea at first but now I agree with a previous post.Lets have our own lads back. If we are going to loose all our matches let it at least be our own lads who loose them, see them mature and gradually improve. As for not swearing at a football match we might as well go and watch rugby if thats what Delia and her husband want. They decided to ban swearing at the Perth Glory matches and now Perth are bottom of the league and attendance is at an all time low.

Saturday was my first game at Carrow Road for a good few years - the 400 mile round trip to Stoke isn''t too appealing & I also play football myself on a sat afternoon. I managed to get a ticket in the Jarrold stand - right next to the Derby fans. I did expect there to be a bit of banter with the away fans where I was, but it was mainly families in the area - and my expletives about Sibierski were very much frowned upon! [:S]

I was really disappointed with the atmosphere as a whole - I kept on expecting the Barclay to get everyone going but it nether materialised - mainly due to the abject display from City IMO. I normally go to up to 10 games a season (always away) so it was strange to be a part of a morgue like atmosphere, the City fans are always noisy on the road - even when we got thumped 5-0 at Stoke a few years back I think the fans sung more than on saturday!! Was the atmposhere on saturday a one-off or has the volume been reducing week on week?

I actually work with the father and today they have cancelled their season tickets as they were told if they were seen again at Carrow Road or the near vicinity they were both going to get seriously hurt.  It all started from one of the blokes wanting to push past to get down the tunnel and as he walked past he called the Father a name, the Father defended himself and it all kicked off from there.  The Son is a bit traumatised from it all and it has resulted in a Father not being able to take his Son to a football match.  It seems these incidents of a group of thugs picking on single people or couples etc are becoming more widespread in society today.  I have had a similar experience on holiday when a group of lads decided to pick on me and my wife for no apparent reason, luckily standers by intervened.  What is the matter with these morons?

[quote user="Scole Canary"]I actually work with the father and today they have cancelled their season tickets as they were told if they were seen again at Carrow Road or the near vicinity they were both going to get seriously hurt.  It all started from one of the blokes wanting to push past to get down the tunnel and as he walked past he called the Father a name, the Father defended himself and it all kicked off from there.  The Son is a bit traumatised from it all and it has resulted in a Father not being able to take his Son to a football match.  It seems these incidents of a group of thugs picking on single people or couples etc are becoming more widespread in society today.  I have had a similar experience on holiday when a group of lads decided to pick on me and my wife for no apparent reason, luckily standers by intervened.  What is the matter with these morons?[/quote]

Very Sad! In all my years of going to see Norwich play the i have hardly ever seen any trouble in the various areas, this is a sad state of affairs for a so called family club. For god sake my mum used to take me and my brother to watch when we were kids and we always felt 100% safe. If this is the whole story these idiots should feel completely ashamed of themselves, bloody cowards!!

It''s important for the clubs future that young supporters are not put off going to see the club play if possible (i know the standard of football currently makes this difficult enough with kids wanting to support succesful premier league teams), but afterall they could go on to have full season tickets contributing to the coffers for many years to come.

Cheers Scole, looked terrible from where I was.  Was infuriating, moreso because the stewards seemed utterly inneffectual.  They should have chucked the moron out of the ground.

Evening all

As a Derby fan it''s been quite interesting reading all your thoughts on Saturday''s match and the atmosphere at Carrow Road. I think it''s about the fifth time I''ve been to Norwich and personally Saturday felt like a bit of payback for when you beat us with 10 men a few years ago after Kev Harper got sent off!

Anyway, to the atmosphere. I agree with most of your comments that the ground was quiet when compared to my previous visits. Not sure exactly where the Snake Pit is....guessing by the corner flag where Hulse celebrated as there seemed a bit of noise coming from there as well as the section by us behind the goal, but these were the only two areas that seemed to generate any noise.

However what I will say is that despite it being quieter than normal Norwich is still one of the noisier grounds to follow as an away fan, especially in the Championship (and not just because of the amount of fans you get).

Unfortuately Pride Park is generally the same in that volume is going down and there seems to be less of an atmosphere each year. Particularly compared to when we used to play at the BBG the ground can often seem like a morgue.

Good luck for the rest of the season apart from the return match at the end of the month. And play Lupoli up front giving him a run in the side. Best natural finisher we have had at Derby in years.

Cheers.

ps.....why would anyone choose to go to a match in a bright pink shirt? Apologies if it was you sat behind the goal!

Well I spent most of the game on the edge of my seat hoping we wouldnt cock up, rather than expecting us to produce magic.

Thats the way its going atm, as has been mentioned before, people were expecting Fozzy to mess up everytime he touched the ball, which is tough for the man but he will work through it.

The lads are too scared to attack when they have the advantage, I said they will need to score within the next 10 minutes of the penalty, or I just couldnt see them hitting the back of the net.

Some inspiration is needed on the pitch and I cant see who it will come from. If anyone, Id point to Rusty, although Id like to try Cureton as he has the passion and was dying to get on the pitch on Saturday, we need this kind of lift now.

Oh, and me and a mate were given seats in the Barclay boxes ''TOTT'', and I was a bit ashamed to see although all of the tables were full for the carvery beforehand, the seats were more than half empty for the match. Some watched on the TVs, which is ridiculous, whilst others im guessing just left after the food.

And as for atmosphere in the boxes, well...

The stands are full of sheep these days.... Timid and too easily led by Bo Peep Smith. Gone are the grass root fans who used to sing and chant for their club...to be replaced by trendy sissies who find such behaviour as embarrassing and beneath them. Proper fans can''t get in these days due to the now infamous and cynical season ticket scam.

Well done Smith for buggering up just about every aspect of NCFC over the past decade or so and in so doing creating a dull and lifeless team watched by dull and lifeless spectators. "Fans" would be a misuse of the English language.

[quote user="jetstream"]Like it or not, the lower Barclay tend to create that ''atmosphere'' and lead the rest of the ground in the singing and have a responsibility/duty to start things off. What a mistake the Club made doing up that bar under the Barclay. Yesterday it was noticeable that the LB was virtually empty 20 minutes before the match. Too busy supping pints down in the plush bar to be outside creating any kind of atmosphere while the Derby mascot was dancing in front of the away fans and encouraging them to make more noise (which they did). 38 minutes of a virtually silent first half gone and the Lower Barclay start to stream away down to the bar to watch the end of the first half on their plasma screens. Second half kicks off and the Lower Barclay slowly re-appears from the bar (2-3 minutes after the re-start) and a small chorus of ''Y''army'' starts up then fizzles out. We score and there''s suddenly some noise. We spend 10-15 minutes looking like we might go on to win the game and there''s even a round of ''On The Ball City" for the first time. Then it all falls flat again. Second goal goes in, fans start to stream away with 5 minutes plus injury time to go. OK, it''s a chicken-egg thing if the players are not performing but I find games like yesterday quite embarrassing. OK, I sit in the City Stand and no amount of shouting out the start of a song/chant is EVER going to get anything going but I blame: a) the Club for making the bar too comfy b) the Lower Barclay for being more interested in drinking and texting their mates instead of creating an atmosphere Switch off the plasma screens in there and you might start to make a change. Play things like ''Daydream Believer'' again over the PA and that might help. I was listening to the radio commentary of some UEAFA Cup game this week on 5 Live and the home fans (somewhere in Easter Europe) had been in the ground, singing at the top of their voices for an hour before kick-off, building the atmosphere up and up and up until the players arrived. How intimidating is that for the away team?[/quote]why should it be on our shoulders to make an atmosphere before the game? we do enough singing during the match. ive been going in the Barclay since 1973 and its always on us, its about time the rest of you got of your bums and opened your mouths instead of mouthing of on here. I dont think you have been in the bar in the Barclay cause its far from plush and with the sh*t on the pitch we deserve to drink as much as we want. [B]

[quote user="barclay_troy"][quote user="jetstream"]Like it or not, the lower Barclay tend to create that ''atmosphere'' and lead the rest of the ground in the singing and have a responsibility/duty to start things off. What a mistake the Club made doing up that bar under the Barclay. Yesterday it was noticeable that the LB was virtually empty 20 minutes before the match. Too busy supping pints down in the plush bar to be outside creating any kind of atmosphere while the Derby mascot was dancing in front of the away fans and encouraging them to make more noise (which they did). 38 minutes of a virtually silent first half gone and the Lower Barclay start to stream away down to the bar to watch the end of the first half on their plasma screens. Second half kicks off and the Lower Barclay slowly re-appears from the bar (2-3 minutes after the re-start) and a small chorus of ''Y''army'' starts up then fizzles out. We score and there''s suddenly some noise. We spend 10-15 minutes looking like we might go on to win the game and there''s even a round of ''On The Ball City" for the first time. Then it all falls flat again. Second goal goes in, fans start to stream away with 5 minutes plus injury time to go. OK, it''s a chicken-egg thing if the players are not performing but I find games like yesterday quite embarrassing. OK, I sit in the City Stand and no amount of shouting out the start of a song/chant is EVER going to get anything going but I blame: a) the Club for making the bar too comfy b) the Lower Barclay for being more interested in drinking and texting their mates instead of creating an atmosphere Switch off the plasma screens in there and you might start to make a change. Play things like ''Daydream Believer'' again over the PA and that might help. I was listening to the radio commentary of some UEAFA Cup game this week on 5 Live and the home fans (somewhere in Easter Europe) had been in the ground, singing at the top of their voices for an hour before kick-off, building the atmosphere up and up and up until the players arrived. How intimidating is that for the away team?[/quote]why should it be on our shoulders to make an atmosphere before the game? we do enough singing during the match. ive been going in the Barclay since 1973 and its always on us, its about time the rest of you got of your bums and opened your mouths instead of mouthing of on here. I dont think you have been in the bar in the Barclay cause its far from plush and with the sh*t on the pitch we deserve to drink as much as we want. [B][/quote]

Well said, and similar to what I said earlier in the thread

Exactly the kind of reaction I guessed I would get.

"I dont think you have been in the bar in the Barclay cause its far from plush"

I have been in the bar under the Lower Barclay and it is like Paradise compared to the facilities in the City Stand and the River End.

"why should it be on our shoulders to make an atmosphere before the game?"

Because, like it or not, the Barclay is where the noise/atmosphere starts. Always has been, always will be.

Friend of mine who used to sit there in the 70s/80s recently sat there on someone else''s ST and could not believe the lack of singing, chanting and general atmosphere.

I could stand up and sing all I want in the City Stand but no-one around me will join in (I''ve tried it). Just as difficult to get noise going in the N&P but it does happen.