Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Is "The Man" right?

Here is a statement from the latest "Man In The Stands" column. Is he right about mosy fans agreeing with Delia?

"Personally, I still think Delia would rather sell her best rosary beads to the devil before she lets Norwich fall into the hands of a foreign owner.

When push comes to shove, and no matter how much trouble we are in, I just can''t see the old gal handing over the keys to Carrow Road to an ''outsider''.

And from what I can tell, most fans would agree with her.
"

We havent seen (any foreign investor with really dodgy motives take over a club as yet.. indeed look how much better Villa are for foreign investment..

many people were saying Abramovich was in it to look good.. but he is still there, so''s the leprechaun who owns Man utd... if their intentions are bad then these clubs are still running and being succesful.. so either "dodgy foreigners" plan has failed or his intention all along was to make a success of a football club...

I''d welcome a foreign investor.

jas :)

Personally, if they have enough money to enable to club to challenge in the Championship, and ultimately re-establish itself in the Premier League, I don''t care where a new owner comes from.

So basically "The Man" is wrong then? Yet of all the columns I usually find Man In The Stands pretty representative of the fans point of view.

As for me - The club has always been owned by Norwich Fans. I guess I like it that way. But in this age where money rules I''d never say never.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So basically "The Man" is wrong then? Yet of all the columns I usually find Man In The Stands pretty representative of the fans point of view.

As for me - The club has always been owned by Norwich Fans. I guess I like it that way. But in this age where money rules I''d never say never.

[/quote]

If they are from Mars does it really matter?, our current owners are from south of the border and what is it us Norfolk folk call them S***?!. I dont care as long as they move us forward as a FOOTBALL CLUB!

I think the man has it right about Delia, her wishes for the club and her intentions, but maybe not about how the fans feel. How does he know, or come to that, how does anyone know? We can I am sure, all cite numbers of friends, family, workmates who either agree or disagree.

Everyone will have their opinion Nutty. But in the end it''s all down to Delia as she has the most shares and therefore makes the decisions. Should the club, and the team, continue on the present road however, I feel more and more questions are going to be asked as to the road the club is going to take not only right now, but in the future.

As for foreign owner, for me this term needs clearing up. What do we class as foreign. Who apart from Foulger on the present board are from Norfolk, or are we taking foreign to mean outside of the UK?

[quote user="Gazza"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

If they are from Mars does it really matter?, our current owners are from south of the border and what is it us Norfolk folk call them S***?!. I dont care as long as they move us forward as a FOOTBALL CLUB!

[/quote]

Exactly... [Y]

The Man is right, and so is Delia.

Outside of keyboard warrior land I know nobody against Delia

I think the man is wrong and that Delia probably would sell to "an outsider".Delias loans this year simply disguise the true size of the losses we''re making, with the best will in the World she is just not wealthy enough to plough money in on a sustained basis. The whole Club securitisation deal we entered a few years ago sets an upper limit on the %age of the Club which can be used for collateral (to protect the original creditor) and I think we''ve reached that limit, downturns in property valuations (land bank values dropped 30% these last 12 months for valuation purposes ref Barretts, Persimmon etc) probably means we have actually exceeded our ability to secure loans against assets. We''ve not really got any players of great value to sell to shore up the finances. Tellingly the two people charged with investigating the finances seemed to believe the Club was being overvalued at a net worth of £16m (lower now) and are no longer involved. If Delia throws money at us we''re three years from admin. If she doesn''t it could be much sooner and she knows it.  She''ll sell and sell soon IMO and I think as the ticking gets louder so she''ll stop being quite as selective as to who gets to save her. Whoops I mean save the Club.Don''t think Di Stefano will be the one though.Tick tock, tick tock.

I don''t know what he classed as foreign Gazza, but I understood it to mean outside of the UK I was surprised when I read that and that''s why I posted.

The club has always been owned by city fans in my lifetime. Fans who served there apprenticeship on the board before they took over. A lot is made of the fact that Smith and Jones originate from outside Norfolk but although that''s the case they were big fans for many many years before they were invited onto the board. I would like that to carry on but I don''t know of any fans like them who are rich enough to take the club forward. Peter Cullum is the next best thing and if he is serious then I wish he''d get on with it. Without Cullum we are back to trying to involve "poorer millionaires" with smaller investments to join the current board.

There are lots of other clubs in the championship who are in the same boat as us. Some of them probably in a worse state than us. I honestly can see quite a few 10 point deductions happening in the Championship this season. I don''t believe that there are a queue of big  investors for many clubs. Ours is still not as urgent as some and while we have got people in charge who are fans I believe that we are better placed than some too.

If that makes me an apologist then so be it. But I believe I am more a realist than those who think millionaires are gagging to lose their money.

Okay thanks for clearing that up Nutty.

As for Peter Cullum, we just don''t know do we? I suspect there is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes which we are never going to find out about unless the personnel concerned wish to talk. As you say, without Cullum or someone of similar wealth we will have to find someone else like the Turners.

I don''t think anyone wants to throw their money away and I don''t expect anyone to do so without just cause, ie a dream of promotion etc which is surely why most fans would want to get involved. What pains me Nutty is due to what''s gone on in the past - I just don''t trust this present board anymore. I am glad Delia and Michael were there and they have made massive contributions, but sadly they have made some bad decisions and been badly advised - and this carries on.

I accept though no one but them can make a decision, it''s just the waiting for them to come out and explain what''s going on. I know you value the club set up (and you are not alone in that, that''s fair enough) but I fear for us should things carry on in this way for much longer. If things are at this moment happening - then fair enough. I am sure we will find more out at the AGM in a few weeks. Until then we can only hope for a turnaround on the pitch.

If we are in this position in January, then surely something must change or we will be in the position you describe re the 10 point deductions I fear. I do however feel our plight as it stands if urgent, some maybe worse off, but it''s up to our board to find a solution and fast.

The biggest problem I see with the board is the one that Worthy publicly criticised them for. They have been guilty many times of being reactive after something happened than being proactive to stop it happening. This I think is entirely due to those at the top not making decisions. It''s all well and good putting a team in place to run the club but what if there is a conflict of interest within that team? This is where I sometimes agree with Mr Carrow that they got balance between various priorities wrong. This is where the policy of patch and mend comes in. The alternative to having a team in place would be to run the club in the way Chase did. Both ways I guess you need to get lucky. Chases luck ran out at the worst time and it would seem history is about to repeat itself. Or maybe not. I don''t see any businesses carrying on indefinitely when they are unsustainable and I believe it''s only a matter of time before many clubs in the Championship go under. When one goes many will follow and I believe we are still ok... just.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The biggest problem I see with the board is the one that Worthy publicly criticised them for. They have been guilty many times of being reactive after something happened than being proactive to stop it happening. This I think is entirely due to those at the top not making decisions. It''s all well and good putting a team in place to run the club but what if there is a conflict of interest within that team? This is where I sometimes agree with Mr Carrow that they got balance between various priorities wrong. This is where the policy of patch and mend comes in. The alternative to having a team in place would be to run the club in the way Chase did. Both ways I guess you need to get lucky. Chases luck ran out at the worst time and it would seem history is about to repeat itself. Or maybe not. I don''t see any businesses carrying on indefinitely when they are unsustainable and I believe it''s only a matter of time before many clubs in the Championship go under. When one goes many will follow and I believe we are still ok... just.

[/quote]

Based on your last sentence Nutty we will end up Champions,win the play offs and get relegated as well because there will be nobody to play a 46 game season.Maybe this is the big picture we are aiming at as the wage bill will be nil.No need for a kitman,the grass will not need cutting etc etc.All are problems will be solved and we will be ok as you said.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Based on your last sentence Nutty we will end up Champions,win the play offs and get relegated as well because there will be nobody to play a 46 game season.Maybe this is the big picture we are aiming at as the wage bill will be nil.No need for a kitman,the grass will not need cutting etc etc.All are problems will be solved and we will be ok as you said.

[/quote]

Good job my whole post wasn''t based on my last sentence then. It''s just my belief that many clubs are spending more than they can afford. It''s also my belief that there is not a queue of wealthy billionaires looking to lose that much money. I don''t think we can solve the clubs problems. Where are the nCIsA gonna find 20m? How many millions have you got under the mattress?

[quote user="Clipped Canary"]I''d take invesment from Satan himself if it would improve the situation round here.............[6]
[/quote]

[:D] [Y] [6] [H] [<:o)] [;)] Let''s burn the devils £ millions... it could be fun???

Now I like The Man, he generally makes me smile, but he''s wrong on this one as far as I can see.Ngel ^ seems to have hit the proverbial nail on the head - it''s an all too common misconception that there are people out there, good Norfolk people or not, who are prepared to pop their hard earned millions into a Championship football club drain.Sad, but true.

The Man is right, and so is Delia. Outside of keyboard warrior land I know nobody against Delia.

You must live in a bloody shoebox then nancy....either that or you''re simple.