Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

How Poor, Are Our Best Players? (Reserve Match)

Reading City Angel''s report on the reserve match between Norwich and Southend, as well as the official sites one, it is interesting to perhaps discuss how good, or maybe more relevant, how not so good, our rated players are.Hoolahan, was brought here, not to replace Hucks in his style of play, but still, in my opinion, as the most creative player for us. Has this been the case so far this season? I don''t think so. Has this been the case against a League 1 reserve side? Again, i dont think so.Arturo Lupoli, who''s only real good game came away from Cardiff, and alot of people are now relying on him to score our goals. He seems good at running the channels and has a fair amount of skill on the ball. However, he''s hardly looked like scoring plenty of goals, and against the defence he was faced with last night, i''d have expected more from him.Jamie Cureton, as much as i like him as a person, simply doesn''t seem up to it anymore. Is this pretty much the end of his career? We will see.Also, anyone else who went to see the reserve match, your views would be much appreciated!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Who are our best players?

[/quote]Im just going by what Roeder said about them, before we''d seen them play (hoolahan and Lupoli).Cureton...just ask Wiz [;)]

If you read David''s Cuffleys column in the EEN tonight he writes about Hoolahan and how excited Roeder was when he signed him, the length of time we persued him and what a talented player he though he was. Seems odd that he''s saying in public that the lad has to learn to play the Norwich way, he''s not good enough yet and he has a lot to learn. Has he become an average player overnight?

As for Lupoli guess Roeder will continue to support his lonaees he brought in whther they are good enough or not!

Cureton for  me still has the enthusiam and will to do well, his confidence is low due to being slagged off in public by Roeder and his lack of goals plus lack of service.

Best players - we only have two - Clinghan and Marshall ( sometimes)

[quote user="cityangel"]

If you read David''s Cuffleys column in the EEN tonight he writes about Hoolahan and how excited Roeder was when he signed him, the length of time we persued him and what a talented player he though he was. Seems odd that he''s saying in public that the lad has to learn to play the Norwich way, he''s not good enough yet and he has a lot to learn. Has he become an average player overnight?

As for Lupoli guess Roeder will continue to support his lonaees he brought in whther they are good enough or not!

Cureton for  me still has the enthusiam and will to do well, his confidence is low due to being slagged off in public by Roeder and his lack of goals plus lack of service.

Best players - we only have two - Clinghan and Marshall ( sometimes)

[/quote]

What about Dejan?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

Out of the ones we own...Marshall, Semmy, Doherty, Drury, Croft, Russell and Clingan are all players I''m happy to see in the side.

Although I do think David Bell will prove a good signing and hopefully Hoolahan will as well.

Not convinced by Stefanovic yet, he''s been both brilliant and pretty poor. Is he here for the cause? Not sure.

We desperately needed to invest in strikers in the summer and we haven''t and already it has cost us plenty of points this season. If we did have a couple of good strikers and with the addition of the loan players we would then have a good squad.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

Out of the ones we own...Marshall, Semmy, Doherty, Drury, Croft, Russell and Clingan are all players I''m happy to see in the side.

Although I do think David Bell will prove a good signing and hopefully Hoolahan will as well.

Not convinced by Stefanovic yet, he''s been both brilliant and pretty poor. Is he here for the cause? Not sure.

We desperately needed to invest in strikers in the summer and we haven''t and already it has cost us plenty of points this season. If we did have a couple of good strikers and with the addition of the loan players we would then have a good squad.

[/quote]

I can only agree with Marshall, Russell and Clingan with a question mark around Semmy.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can only agree with Marshall, Russell and Clingan with a question mark around Semmy.

[/quote]

Fair enough.

I also like Matty Pattison, forgot to give him a mention.

If I was easily pleased then I''d rate Jamie Cureton...

But I think, looking at it realistically, we have got a few good players but without players upfront who can score goals you''re never going to get too far.

I think we have to bare in mind we had a big upheval and we haven''t had a settled side for a very long time. We''ve had alot of loans, alot of playe3rs who''ve come in to be world beaters and haven''t done it and it appears we don''t have much money. The players are aware of takeover rumours and fan restlessness and so won''t be playing with confidence, while trying to settle in. Replacing Hucks is an almost impossible task, the guy is a true legend here and Hoolahan has massive expectation when he arrived and it may be hes struggling under the pressure, even if he was playing to the best of his ability then i believe he may well be in a similar position because he will play a different role to Hucks.I think at the moment, and in the past few years we''ve been in a bit of a storm and some point soon we will need a season of stability, whether Delia goes to provide this i don''t know, but Roeder wants and needs a settled side, and with injuries, players going back from loans and other players being shipped out i don''t believe he''s had a settled side since that unbeaten run.

Being biased towarard perm players                         MarshallSemmi, Omosuzi, Stefanovic, Drury/ BertrandCroft, Fozzy/ Fatty Patty, Russell, Hoolahan/ Bertrand                Lupoli/ Sibierski/ Lita/ OJWho''s left?!

......and yet a few years ago the squad was bolstered by the loan signings of Huckerby and Peter Crouch, now thats ambition! Bringing in untested kids and old journeymen is a sad testament to how poor our squad actually is. Following our Championship winning season the squad has steadily declined, and if we are forced to sell to stay afloat we could be in real trouble!

Well I can agree with Russell, Clingan, sometimes semmy, I think lupes is a great player he just needs the right service which he isn''t really getting from sibby (who in my opinion is rubbish), Croft ????? i cannot believe people still think he is good WHY ? he has a little bit of pace and that is it, his crossing is poor and he can''t get past anyone, how can that be a good wide player. Marshall well i never did take to him he''s far too quite for a keeper and don''t command the area, however he is a good shot stopper. Kennedy looks good and so do bell (as yet to see his best i think), Fozzy and hooly have been a huge let down this season so far, and roeder has drained all the yellow and green blood out of JC. Bertrand ok, Drury obviously has been better, stevano itch ??? well he do like a penalty don''t he, So yes we are in deep deep doo doo chaps. The saying is something like "Things can only get better"....yeah right.

Once Dejan gets back on the pitch and Kennedy recovers, we have one of the best back 5 in the league.

Our midfield isnt creative enough, and our strikeforce arent scoring enough.

To say we are building from the back, imo our creative midfielders are Hoolahan on the left, Croft on the right (Chadwick also but he isnt in the plans), Clingan at defensive midfield, and possibly Bell at attacking midfield, or Russell given the licence to push forward. Then its Lupoli and Lita up front, given the service and on form, those two should be two of the best in the league.

Hogesar, sorry for delay in posting, did go to reserves, have left comments elsewhere, but just for you, we have two up and coming goalkeepers. The save at the end by sub goaly was truly brilliant, and i dont say that often!

worryingly though, jamie has no pace or strength left and I would be suprised to see him start another game. hoolahan affraid he is a jamie clone, he is TINY and so easy to knock about.

Lupoli still looked not match fit, but was our best player and can ooze class. luke daley shows good promise. Troy is no ledley king but i wish he had played against derby and Seyfo Soley can roll out a good barrell

Is it the players that are poor, or the manager? At Blackpool we have a manager who takes on players who we then are routinely mocked for signing by their last club''s fans, and then they perform reall well, usually. Steve Kabba and Stephen Crainey for example. Grayson consistently gets the best out of the players individually and team-wise. If we signed Hoolahan back, and Lupoli, they would be performing really well again within weeks. Guaranteed. It''s not rocket science. Your manager is not performing to the same level.

[quote user="huckster"] Croft ????? i cannot believe people still think he is good WHY ? he has a little bit of pace and that is it, his crossing is poor and he can''t get past anyone, how can that be a good wide player. [/quote]lol?Sorry but for me Croft is our best player..In basically every game he is our only creative player speeding down the right and putting the balls in.Best for me are:Croft, Dejan, Marshall, Otsemobor, Clingan and Bell (Looks good from his Derby debut)

[quote user="Lenny-boy"]

Hogesar, sorry for delay in posting, did go to reserves, have left comments elsewhere, but just for you, we have two up and coming goalkeepers. The save at the end by sub goaly was truly brilliant, and i dont say that often!

worryingly though, jamie has no pace or strength left and I would be suprised to see him start another game. hoolahan affraid he is a jamie clone, he is TINY and so easy to knock about.

Lupoli still looked not match fit, but was our best player and can ooze class. luke daley shows good promise. Troy is no ledley king but i wish he had played against derby and Seyfo Soley can roll out a good barrell

[/quote]Thanks, thats very interesting [:)]