Sign in to follow this  
No.8

£50.6m consortium take-over!

We all know Norwich has a tremendous fan base, one of the best outside of the Premiership. Norwich is also an affluent area with a number of comfortable earners and successfully retired residents.

Forgetting about the credit crunch and current economic climate - as this will pass and stabilise (one day!), do you feel fans could collectively form a consortium buy-out? By my calculations based on a fan base of 30,000 (those who attend week-in-week-out, those at home and those overseas) if...

12,000 fans invest £500, 10,000 fans invest £1000 and 8,000 fans invest £5,000 we would have a take-over pot of £50.6m.

Enough to buy-out DS/DWJ, clear most of our debts and still have room to in new players/manager!

This wouldn’t be an investment for gain (not short term anyway) but would be an investment of affection and passion for a club we all love.

The concept alone would be a money spinner, with someone like Sky securing rights to follow the journey end-to-end (from the buy-out, to new player signings via on-line 30,000 stakeholder voting etc) Even taking management to extremes of virtual ''squad/team'' selection again on-line by 30,000 stakeholders.

I know this is a bit crazy, but hey at desperate times... creative thinking required!

[quote user="No.8"]

We all know Norwich has a tremendous fan base, one of the best outside of the Premiership. Norwich is also an affluent area with a number of comfortable earners and successfully retired residents.

Forgetting about the credit crunch and current economic climate - as this will pass and stabilise (one day!), do you feel fans could collectively form a consortium buy-out? By my calculations based on a fan base of 30,000 (those who attend week-in-week-out, those at home and those overseas) if...

12,000 fans invest £500, 10,000 fans invest £1000 and 8,000 fans invest £5,000 we would have a take-over pot of £50.6m.

Enough to buy-out DS/DWJ, clear most of our debts and still have room to in new players/manager!

This wouldn’t be an investment for gain (not short term anyway) but would be an investment of affection and passion for a club we all love.

The concept alone would be a money spinner, with someone like Sky securing rights to follow the journey end-to-end (from the buy-out, to new player signings via on-line 30,000 stakeholder voting etc) Even taking management to extremes of virtual ''squad/team'' selection again on-line by 30,000 stakeholders.

I know this is a bit crazy, but hey at desperate times... creative thinking required!

[/quote]

But if in the first season you failed to gain promotion how would you get rid of the Manager and sack yourselves?[:P]

At least fans all over the world would have an answer to one of the most considered questions on the terraces... "Could I pick a better team than our manager"

[quote user="No.8"]

At least fans all over the world would have an answer to one of the most considered questions on the terraces... "Could I pick a better team than our manager"

[/quote]

I still want to know how you are going to sack yourselves if it doesn''t work out.[8-|]

Could 30,000 get it wrong? If we did we should get our coats and go home and let someone else do it - PC might buy the shares, could always sell for a profit...

I like the idea and the theory behind this, but of the 30,000 you speak of, how many of these are simply kids or oap''s who of course wouldn''t have the sort of money you are asking to put towoards the club?

Committes do not work.............. They are women things. Need strong leadership. Bobert for Pesidaent!!!

What is the point? might as well just wait and let Cullum buy the club. If there wasn''t a buyer and the club were in danger of going under it wouldn''t be a bad idea but I remain convinced that Cullum will take over in the near future.

One small problem, will all the shareholders be prepared to top up their investment once a year or so to cover the operating loss?

Back to the drawing board I think.

Isn''t this similar to what happened at Ebsfleet United? I may be wrong but I thought this was a nationwide scheme for fans to put their money in to buy a club but they only managed to make enough money to buy an averge conference side!

We cant all agree on a simple forum let alone if we all had a controlling stake in the club. If there was an equal voting shareholding between 30,000 fans the club would be torn to pieces in a matter of weeks. Nice idea in a perfect world, though.

Looks to me like a mix and match scenario involving The Norwich City Trust and dare i mention it The Kitty(remember them do we?)

[quote user="No.8"]

[/quote]

Explain how 12,000 or so fans would agree on a team? So your saying the team would have no manager because sorry no manager is going to take a role where he can''t pick the team......

1. with people paying different amount some people will want more power paying 5k than 1k surely? that is a MAJOR DOWNFALL

2. if it is indeed possilbe, why has it never happend in england with a major club?

3. if you paid 50.6m for takeover. who going to invest transfer, bills, wages, expeniduture???

cloud cuckoo land im afraid, nice idea but never possible

[quote user="we8wba"]

1. with people paying different amount some people will want more power paying 5k than 1k surely? that is a MAJOR DOWNFALL

2. if it is indeed possilbe, why has it never happend in england with a major club?

3. if you paid 50.6m for takeover. who going to invest transfer, bills, wages, expeniduture???

cloud cuckoo land im afraid, nice idea but never possible

[/quote]

For once you have talked sense. I totally agree

[quote user="Philipo87"]Isn''t this similar to what happened at Ebsfleet United? I may be wrong but I thought this was a nationwide scheme for fans to put their money in to buy a club but they only managed to make enough money to buy an averge conference side![/quote]Wasn''t the whole Ebsfleet thing a con to make the website creator rich? I think 30% of each donation went to "admin costs" of the web site.

You have two options...

1. Appoint a manager (who we elect) and let him run the team (fans could vote for signings form a shortlist selected by the manager and backroom staff!) and possibly captain.

2. Virtual team management - taking a radical approach to a fan run club. This would be relatively easy to manage on-line. We wouldn’t have a manager, we would have:

- Head coach (responsible for day-to-day training schedule and match day fine-tuning)

- Either on a Monday for midweek games or Thursday for Sat/Sun games, the backroom staff will post an ''available'' squad list, based on fitness, morale, performance in training etc.

- From this list of available players all eligible fans would vote on a shortlist of formations and preferred plating style (4-4-2 wing play, 4-4-2 diamond, 4-3-1-2 central play etc)

- Once the formation is set all eligible fans will vote for starting line-up and subs. Actual match team talk would be delivered by Head Coach, real time match changes, tactical / forced would be down to the discretion of the Head Coach, although pre-match preferences could be provided by on-line voting, i.e. if we a 2-0 up with 25mins to play revert from 4-3-3 to 4-5-1 an so on.

I should be a story teller...

also 30k people?

come on example

uncle bill takes up his two sons, and neice to the game - taking four tickets up. is he going to stump up the minimum 500quid? totalling 2k? or do you expect the 1-20 yr old to pay their own way if they have spare (minimum) £500 fee to pay (on top of season ticket)

i have found 4-5 key faults in 3minutes with out barely thinking about it. maybe that shows you this is just fiction

The idea would be to pump any profits into the club, no dividend payments, Exec bonuses etc. Obviously running costs would need to be covered.

Talking about running costs, the Exec/Board could be made up of a mix of professionals on sensible salaries and fan elected members (on a annual rotation basis).

how much money did norwich make last financial year?

with investment only coming in on merchandise, ticket sales, sponsership and player sales i wouldnt think you be to much better off?

i mean surely replacing you instead of delia but same budget will leave you? if anything more vunerable

why would someone rather pay 5k when they can get away with £500 and have the same say?

does the 5k er get 10x more say?

[quote user="we8wba"]

also 30k people?

come on example

uncle bill takes up his two sons, and neice to the game - taking four tickets up. is he going to stump up the minimum 500quid? totalling 2k? or do you expect the 1-20 yr old to pay their own way if they have spare (minimum) £500 fee to pay (on top of season ticket)

[/quote]Our fan base is much much bigger than 30k , but I agree, ridiculous idea it would never work, knowing my luck I''d invest money into the club and some idiot like Smudger or Wiz would be put in charge and put the club into financial meltdown.

[quote user="Philipo87"]Isn''t this similar to what happened at Ebsfleet United? I may be wrong but I thought this was a nationwide scheme for fans to put their money in to buy a club but they only managed to make enough money to buy an averge conference side![/quote]

I''m one of those people lol

i know your fan base is more than 30k

but i doubt you find 10k willing and able to put 500-1k spare quid into the club let alone more money

It''s not about majority say/stake - it''s about investing in the club we all love, regardless if you invest £5k or £500 -each fan would have one vote and one vote only.  This is an idea (albeit crazy) that would allow fans (of varying wealth) the chance to buy and co-run our club. By flexing the amount individuals could invest brings to the a larger investment pot - you could smooth the amount to say £2k each in the hope you could find 30k willing & able fans (that way you all have an equal say!!)