Sign in to follow this  
Badger Pie

Ambition

Along with prudence this is probably the most popular word on this message board. It creates a lot of arguments, so I thought why not start another one?

Here are my views on the matter: Since the latest accounts were published it has become clear that Norwich are always going to struggle to be profitable without significant ongoing investment. I believe that fresh investment from outside of the current Board is essential for our long term survival. At the same time I do believe that the current Board have done a decent job up until now.

Admittedly we are not doing as well as our potential on the pitch and the accounts aren''t in great shape, but we are in a much better position than many clubs. It has been argued that we could have been more ambitious in our Premieship season and that everything would have been different. I for one am a bit of a gambler and would have liked to have seen us take a gamble, but it is not necessarily good business sense to do this. It could have worked and we could have become a regular fixture in the Premiership, but equally we may have still failed and ended up facing potential administration (like too numerous clubs to mention have since then).

Had we have stayed in the Premiership, what then? Do we keep trying to raise our level of ambition and end up in a position such as Pompey (reportedly £60 million in debt) or maybe become a yoyo club like West Brom? I''m not sure myself.

At the end of the day we are where we are and the level of ambition we are showing is what I''d expect - trying to bring in as many decent players as is possible with a small budget and not risking any further financial problems. Until we receive fresh investment this is unfortunatley all we can do.

Well said.Some good points and you''ve summed things up nicely.People on here do over-react. There are many clubs worse off than ourselves!

"But we are in a much better position than many clubs".Well let us all just shut up and be thankful for what we have then.

Pompey may be 60mill in the red but with their Premiership and European status I doubt it will cause them many problems in the forseeable future. That said I do agree with many of your points.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]"But we are in a much better position than many clubs".Well let us all just shut up and be thankful for what we have then.[/quote]

I''m certainly not happy with what we have at the moment and I''m not telling anyone to shut up either. I personally think that we bottomed out under the Grant regime and that things will pick up, but only with additional investment to give us the funds to compete with the growing list of parachute payment clubs. 

Good post Badger Pie, but just wanted to pick up on the comment of "It has become clear that Norwich are always going to struggle to be profitable without significant ongoing investment" you''ve hit the nail on the head, what people need to remember is that there isn''t a single club in our league who is operating at profit, there is no money in our league, the clubs who have been successful financially in this league are the clubs that have gotten less in to debt than all the others, if something doesn''t happen then soon or later every club outside the premiership will be bankrupt without investment.

Well said Badger Pie man.

As things stand most football clubs finances are pretty poor and if they were in any other industry they would have been declared insolvent, liquidated and shut down as no industry can possibly continue with most business running at such deficits.

With 24,000 crowds most matches where is there any scope to generate much extra funds?? Are ticket prices too low?? Would people be willing to pay on average £100 extra per season? As that is roughly the loss for the fiancial year. People want success for "their" club but they generally want somone else to pay for it.

Short of a sugar daddy there is no correct answer.

well said,

all teams have ups and downs

what good is sacking roeder going to do? or starting protests? time for stablebility within norwich city fc. could be hell of alot worse look at teams like luton who yes dont have same fan base etc... but were matching the likes of wolves and norwich just few seasons ago

[quote user="we8wba"]

well said,

all teams have ups and downs

what good is sacking roeder going to do? or starting protests? time for stablebility within norwich city fc. could be hell of alot worse look at teams like luton who yes dont have same fan base etc... but were matching the likes of wolves and norwich just few seasons ago

[/quote]

To be fair my worry is not for other football clubs and at the moment my only thought is for the fate of NCFC, let''s not kid ourselves thing''s aren''t good.

captain dejan i agree with what your saying , i dont think its over reacting , i tend to believe its more of peoples concerns.

im the first to admit ive done nothing but slate roeder on here .

the thing is of how concerning the reality of it is, its not looking good

what i want to see is everyone ,every fan comming together for the good of our club and actually realising things are bad , board ,management and team.

yes their are teams worse of than us agreed, but norwich is the most supported teams in the championship with one of the highest gates, and i feel we deserve better.

after watching sky sports and how passionate geordie fans are , norwich fans just think everything is going to be okay.

what ever way you look at it- if delia stays she wont put much money in so we will carry on downwards.

if she gets out now it would be for the good of the club and the way forward.

i thinks shes holding out for too much money, and the worse it gets the less the club will be worth.

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]

With 24,000 crowds most matches where is there any scope to generate much extra funds?? Are ticket prices too low?? Would people be willing to pay on average £100 extra per season? As that is roughly the loss for the fiancial year. People want success for "their" club but they generally want somone else to pay for it.

[/quote]Although I don''t want ticket prices to rise it''s clear that they are ''too cheap'' because how else can anyone explain 25,000 crowds while we''re languishing at the bottom of the table, losing twice to 10 man teams at home, and generally not being entertaining? while we were in the premier league/1st division we often struggled to get 20,000. Maybe that''s because tickets were relatively more expensive.I''m not sure how much extra cash can be raised from hiking prices, but I''ll wager that it''s being considered. To be honest it would mean more tickets being available for casual fans rather than ST holders, as they pay more per game, and that''s not necessarily a bad thing. There are thousands of people in Norfolk and beyond who don''t want season tickets for various reasons and can''t get to many games as a result.

[quote user="BIC"][quote user="Karl Pilkington"]

[/quote]

Although I don''t want ticket prices to rise it''s clear that they are ''too cheap'' because how else can anyone explain 25,000 crowds while we''re languishing at the bottom of the table, losing twice to 10 man teams at home, and generally not being entertaining? while we were in the premier league/1st division we often struggled to get 20,000. Maybe that''s because tickets were relatively more expensive.
I''m not sure how much extra cash can be raised from hiking prices, but I''ll wager that it''s being considered. To be honest it would mean more tickets being available for casual fans rather than ST holders, as they pay more per game, and that''s not necessarily a bad thing. There are thousands of people in Norfolk and beyond who don''t want season tickets for various reasons and can''t get to many games as a result.
[/quote]

I wonder if the board promised to put any extra monies from season tickets and gate receipts into the playing squad, how many fans would mind paying extra on top of what they already do?

Say another £80 on top of ST''s and another few quid on tickets.

I know it wouldn''t raise a great deal, but as they say, every little helps.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]I wonder if the board promised to put any extra monies from season tickets and gate receipts into the playing squad, how many fans would mind paying extra on top of what they already do?[/quote]

But would you trust them to do it?