Sign in to follow this  
magic_eyes

Holt not good enough

I know this will upset the sentimentalists out there, but Holty just isn''t good enough for the Premier League. He lacks the physical attributes and the skill required at this level. Last year he did the business for us, for which we should be forever in his debt, but he is just not good enough this year. Lets hope Safri gets fit soon.

We are one or two players away from being a good quality Premier side. Damo today was the best midfielder on the pitch by a mile.

OTBC

holt hasn''t really been himself in the first 2 games, and im sure he can improve. if he doesn''t then obviously there is a problem but we have other good midlfielders to come in and we would see what safri or has to offer. but im sure holt will be back to his best soon!

No, Holt is not as good as Scholes etc.

Well done magic. Your statement is a fair one. Holt just didn''t look fit today and Francis is showing him the way. I think the moment Safri is fit Holt will be rested. The game today, we finished with a far stronger looking side to the one of which we started with. I have a feeling that Worthy will sign two more next week A Striker (permanent) and a midfielder (loan) Lets wait and see. But after todays game i''m not that disheartened. It was a good performance bar the exception of Jonson, Svensson and Holt but i still think these players will improve. OTBC

Like i said in an earlier post Holt lacks in the passing department I''m afraid ,a shame because i like the guy totally committed to the Norwich cause

Don''t forget Holt played in midweek for Scotland and judging by the result he must have put some hard work in chasing the opposition. I don''t think either Holt or Francis played particularly well in the first half but they both played much better in the second. For a lot of our players it is going to take a few matches to adjust to the pace of the premiership.

Very sadly I would agree, but I would still play him next week because I feel it may just be a one off. He has played for Scotland midweek with all the travelling etc. that goes with it. He was not alone yesterday at mistiming passes.

i have to agree with this

Along with other players;

Flem - Did well but got in wrong places now and then, comapired with chalton looked poor.

Svensson - has to be replace cant get anywhere at the moment! Look sluggish and useless yesturday, Didnt like to be on the ball......

and Holt - Gave the ball away to cheeply, Doesnlt like to pass it around but to hit it long for players to run onto...... Fine for division 1 (or the ccc) but cant work in the premiership....

Holt had a terrible first half but I think both he and Francis were much stronger in the second half. All Gary needs to do is forget anything that idiot Bertie Vogts told him whilst he was away on Scotland duty. Don''t forget he played as a right back for Scotland last Wednesday and his confidence will have taken a bit of a knock.

I think we''ll see the real Holt back soon, the doubters will be proved wrong and Bertie Vogts can disappear back to Germany!

Holt looked jaded after his rb mauling for Scotalnd but hi stouch does not seem good enough for prem.

Picking up on a previous post and my own agenda of a creative midfielder I see that Djorkaeff is looking for a contract having turned his back on Bolton. He has class, desire and can pass perfectly...

OTBC

I agree, thought Holt looked out of his depth and sluggish - the latter may be due to mid week game but this is only the 2nd game of the season! We need to keep the ball better at this level and I think Holt lacks the quality to do that - Francis showed he was a better ball winnner and forward running midfielder we need someone next to him in the Ian Crook mould.

Thought Svensson ran his socks off but needs to win more balls in the air and use the ball better to feed Huckerby - Docherty won twice as many headers in 20 mins than Svensson did in 70 mins.

Feel sorry for Leon - reckon he''s going to be a super sub this season especially if we sign Harewood - but he is one of the few impact players we have who can come off the bench and make immediate contributions.

Other than that Charlton and Drury were superb, Flem steady and Bently needs to shoot more often if he''s gonna connect like that! I think the right side just had a bad day at the office and good to see McVeigh is hungry to play. Greeno and Hucks - superb as always.

Holt started slowly last season as well. He was better in the second half but a good midfield is essential if we are to survive. Unfortunately there can be no room for sentiment and Nige must play on form. Which means Holt and Matty out and Helveg and Jonson need to get their acts together quickly.

Whether you agree with it or not, Worthy feels he already has the good midfielders necessarry in Safri and Mullers who were not available.

Personally from what I''ve seen of Safri, he is exactly the player we needed yesterday to play alongside Damo. Someone who is tough tackling, but can also put his foot on the ball and link the defence to the strikers (Damo''s strength is getting from box-to-box and making runs rather than spraying passes around). I know his signing has provoked a mixed response but he has always looked a class player to me. The fact that he doesn''t score many goals means he never got the headlines for his consistantly very good displays for Coventry unlike someone like Reid at Forest for example (not saying he is quite in Reid''s league, but he is still a good player). But he is a quality player, I don''t doubt that for a second.

Time and time again last season, the arrival of Mullers from the bench completely changed our fortunes for the better (Derby home, Stoke away, Reading away come to mind without even thinking!). Foley''s squad assessment at the end of the season sounded accurate to me. Mullers has a lot of talent, but not quite the natural fitness, and if he worked a bit harder on that, he would be a top player for us. A lot of people noted that Mullers came back to pre-season training looking fitter than he ever has and it''s a shame he picked up a slight injury. He is another player who divides opinion (some think he is class, some think he is over rated, I''m firmly in the first group!). Talk that Mullers will be better in the Prem because you get more time on the ball was rightfully instantly dismissed by Mullers himself as being inaccurate as the game is played at such a high tempo (it''s just that the top players always look like they have longer on the ball). But I strongly believe that he does possess that extra touch of quality that makes all the difference in the Prem and if he can get fit and find some consistency, he could be a big player for us this season. I don''t know this for sure, but I believe that Worthy thinks this as well (and that is why he was desperate for the club to offer him such a good contract to stay a couple of years ago). As I''ve posted elsehwere, I also am sure that Jonson will prove a hit but he''s not had much time to settle with his new team and a new league just yet.

So personally I think we have good options in midfield when everyone is fit. I would say with 100% confidence that we will not be buying or loaning any more midfielders this summer. One more striker and I will be very happy with our squad.

I quite agree holt not bein good enough. In saturdays game at old trafford, i felt that francis (man of the match in my opinion) had to do his and garys job in the middle of the park. And although he done it superbly, u cannot afford to have one man doin the work at the likes of old trafford, or any premiership ground come to that. BRING BACK MULLERS!!!

I agree Francis was awesome and Holt was off the pace, but we should be fair to Holt he isnt there to be zidane, hes a holding midfielder, I think he would work better in a 4-3-3 where''s he not expected to as much with the ball. bringing in safri or murlyne would probably leave us to weak in the middle. alternatives are, sign petit or go 4-3-3 with holt/franics and safri/mulryne as playmaker.

Mullers has failed to deliver consistently enough - a place on the bench may be a starting point once he is fit but last season Holt was far ahead of Mullers in every espect.

He has sometimes had an impact from the bench but also disappears in games far too frequently. If he demonstrates from the bench he can have the impact we want (which is what Mcveigh is doing) then he can start to push for a place. Mullers certainly looks in the best shape I can remember him so perhaps his hunger has returned and city will benefit, once he is fit again.

OTBC

I think the Prem will suit Mullers better than the Nationwide. There aren''t so many lunges into playmakers and he should have a bit more freedom to express himself. Either way we need SOMEONE to thread through that killer ball and unlock tight premiership defences.