Sign in to follow this  
Swindon NCFC

Are we asking too much?

Not so long ago we were stuck in the lower half of the Division getting beaten by teams like Port Vale, selling off our decent players & seemingly having a new manager every few months.

However we are fortunate enough to now be in a position when we''re unhappy that we''re not top, we''re beating the likes of Sunderland & have managerial stability (we just need him to pick the best side now-Why Holty at right back?) so my question is are we asking for too much?

After all going up in 2nd place wouldn''t be too bad would it?

I for one am dissappointed that yet again we''ve thrown away 3 chances to be top of our Division. So it''s November & although it counts for nothing in the grand scheme of things it does show the other teams in the Division that we''re capable of hitting the top & could stay there. Unfortunately we appear to choke when there is an opportunity to make a mark(Birmingham (harsh but true) - Almost against Stockport - Wolves (Scum number 2) last seaason - Watford/Preston & Coventry this). In fact as far as I can remember going through at Molineux has been the only time in recent memory when we''ve stood up & let ourselves be counted.

I love this club & it would be great to be able to chant "We are top of the league" even around Swindon. I realise that sounds shallow but it would be such a great feeling to see our club topping the Division rather than the constant comments that "Norwich could go top for the first time since 1999" but we don''t.

My other point is to do with our ageing Central Defence. Malky is a great servant to the club but is he now getting a bit like Ewan (too old for the job full time). Then there''s Flem. Both of them are fantastically aware but are both so slow on their feet that no amount of tactical awareness can save Greeno from being left one on one with the oppositions strikers at least twice a game. If we don''t give the younger guys a run then surely we need to invest here too. We''re not really a swashbuckling side who will score 5 if they get 4 so we need to be realistic.

As for Hucks I still think Crouch would be a better bet if had to choose one but would dearly love to keep all 3.

Come on you yellows.

Its so frustrating seeing other clubs in the First Division strenghthening their squads right under our noses while we sit here day in day out with nothing happening I am getting a little frustrated by it all want something positive to go into the next few games with even the scummers are trying to make their loannes permanent dont our board and management have any consideration for the fans and their need to know whats happening after all we have all paid good money for capacity crowds for the best part of two seasons would be nice to know at least some of the revenue will strenthen the squad

moan over

You are so right about the frustration as every day another of our rivals succeeds in a signing or announces new intended transfer targets. (I have just read on Teletext that the Blades are now after DH. That''s really going to help our situation, I don''t think). At times like this, what I''d pay to be a fly on the wall in certain offices at Carrow Road!

Just read on skysportsnews.com that Keegan has publically stated his major priority during the transfer window is a goalkeeper. Is this an indication of the deal that could create so much conflict in the hearts of canaries is one step nearer?