Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Below par performances and squad rotation

This was destined to be a reply to the Gary holt not good enough thread but I thought I would post it as a general comment.

Look chaps I think this is a bit unfair, Gary has given his all for the cause and will continue to do so, the fact he has had a couple of below par outings doesnt suddenly make him a poor player likewise Svennson and Indeed Jonson. All our players will have to play their part to keep us in the premier and the squad system is designed to rest players when they are not performing and bring in others . Yes drop these players to the bench and give others a chance but have no doubt that what goes around comes around and we are all in it together.

They are just as likely to hit form and steer us to safety. Our Squad is made up of good players, I can say honestly hand on heart there is no dead wood. Everyone can do a job when called on.

OTBC

Yep, I agree. The whole squad is important and we want them to be full of confidence when their time comes. I''m worried about Svensson. Hes a good player whos just had a couple of iffy games. I''m dreading the carrow road response if he plays on Sat and doesn''t perform - we mustn''t sap his confidence. Its not in our interests. Even if we do get another target man, it doesn''t mean that Svensson is suddenly unimportant. He scored some really good and important goals last season and judging by the season review dvd, was unlucky not to get a few more spectacular ones.

Whats letting him down at the moment is his touch. He had touch last season and just because it hasn''t happened so far in the prem for him doesn''t mean hes suddenly lost that touch. Also, hes not winning headers, but thats not really his fault as hes not a big bloke. When playing with sven, we need to resist the temptation to play hopeful long balls from the back.

I am sorry but have to disagree. Yes, we all know about Gary Holt''s contribution to the Club in recent years and how much we appreciate him but, as with any player, there comes a time when you have to look at his performances. Our midfield, if we are honest, has not been functioning for many games, including last years wonderful promotion push - yes Francis is emerging as a very competent player but Gary Holt has certainly been struggling and needs a rest. I am sure that he would benefit from having a spell in the reserves and will come back even stronger. To continually play players who are clearly suffering from loss of form does their confidences no good at all. Henderson last year was a good example. No, this is why clubs need strong squads to supplement their first choice players and I would certainly not write off the Scandanavians until they are given time to settle in and adapt to the pace of our game.

OTBC

No I don''t know what you mean!!!

"Our midfield, if we are honest, has not been functioning for many games, including last years wonderful promotion push"

What are you talking about? Which games have you been watching? What planet are you living on?

I agree entirely that players who are out of form should be dropped. However I also beleive that players can and do have off games and should be given the chance to show that they can perform consistently well.

The only problem is that so far we have only played two games so far and as far as I recall Holts games against Palace was certainly OK and we are looking to drop him after 1 indifferent performance? Given his consistency levels and his performances overall in 2004 I think he does deserve another start at the very least. I am sure he will start as Holt seems to be Worthys first name on any team sheet.

As far as Sven is concerned he has not performed as well as we know he can. Part of this is down to poor distribution to him from midfield and defence but he is also part of the problem. Again as we are only 2 games in he deserves the chance to put it right with an improved performance tomorrow night. Part of the problem is a lack of competition for lead/target strike. For whatever reason Worthy prefers Sven to Leon in that role and Doherty is a defender and we know that Worthy is looking for an alternative. I remain of the opinion that Johansson and Harewood are no better than Leon in this type of role.. As such I see Sven starting the next couple of games. If there is no improvement in those then Leon must get the nod.

Look at the improvement in the English cricket squad now they have a settled line up rather than changes from match to match - and what tinkering did for Ranieris career at Chelsea. Some stability is essential - and it is a team with many new faces looking to gel - I am sure it will improve over the next couple of games

As DDiM would say ''Keep the faith''

Consistancy is important when things are working well, sometimes things need to be changed to get them to function better. It is no big problem if any player is rested or dropped for an odd game it doesnt mean he is no longer in the managers plans as I said that is the whole purpose of the squad system. If we think we should just play 11 why have a squad !

Mr Rosario - I normally watch the games thru clear specs, not green and yellow ones and since you seem to be one of the ''play Gary Holt at all costs'' brigade, you are never going to admit the truth about our midfield performances. Just read other posts on the subject - I am not alone in my opinion!

OTBC

I think you might be alone, actually.

As far as I can see, everyone on this board recognises that Gary Holt was one of our most important players in our promotion push - if not THE most important. Most people last season were whinging about Francis letting the midfield down, and Gary''s contribution was phenomenal. Perhaps you didn''t get to many games?

This season, Gary has had two bad games (and yes, they were bad) but I''m not turning my back on one of Norwich''s most recent heroes. Four bad games at the least should signify that someone has "lost" their form - not two.

it is not that gary holt is bad per se, he simply is not going to hold his own in this league, certainly not against the top half of the table, yes, he may be having a slow start to the season, as he did last year, but this is a different ball game entirely, worthy must recognise this, ( by buying safri), i would like to see safri play, he must be regaining his fitness as he turned out for the reserves, don''t get me wrong, i recognise holty''s contribution to our cause over the time he was been here, but against man u, it was painful. Sorry, i am not usually a knocker of players, but francis had to do most of the work, he was awesome and is prem class, thank god!!! I will never forget that midfield display on saturday, he was simply outstanding and that is encouraging for all of us.

I am not going to comment too much on svensson, in my own humble opinion we should not be playing to a target man, something i have debated many times, we have to play football in this league and i would like to see leon given a full game, supported by bentley and hucks - if we have to buy someone in ( as long as it aint scowcroft), then so be it, we had to last year - despite many people''s reservations, we got hucks, the rest as they say..... i have every faith in worthy, we all know he is on the look out

by the way first wizard, when is this mystery striker going to sign, was it this week?

Gary Holt has been incredible for Norwich since he got here. Last season he was by far the best midfield player, with many losing patience with Francis and Mulryne''s inconsistancy. You can''t start droping the backbone of our side, because of two matches.

I think we''ve done okay so far but I am concerned that it is the four changes to the line up which have caused us not to play to our potential. They''re all good players (jonson, Charlton, Bentley and Helveg) but I think we''ve too easily discarded our winning formula from last season. Nobody knows who will be able to make the transition from Division 1 to the premier, but surely we should be playing

Green

Edworthy Fleming Charlton Drury

McVeigh Francis Holt Bentley

Svensson Huckerby

at least for the first few games while we find our feet. These first five games are going to be hard enough, without having to deal with adjusting to new personel. New players could be integrated gradually when needed and if they''re good enough they''ll make the place their own. Bentley and Charlton, i agree with, they''ve played well partly due to their previous experience in English football. I don''t like to critisise Worthy but I fail to see how Jonson deserved to play ahead of Paul McVeigh, considerering McVeigh''s contribution to the Norwich frontline in the last few seasons, especially considering Jonson had only been training for five days before the Palace game.

Gary Holt is not and never will be good enough for the premiership. His distribution is not up to standard, simple as.

Once Saffri has settled in and played a few games with Francis this argument will be put to rest for good.

As much as I like McVeigh (I am named after him after all) his performances last year were very much up and down - when he was good his was terrific but when he was poor he was Drazen Muzinic.

Yonson comes in having played in Euro 2004, a proven top flight international with pace and the clubs most expensive signing in years. I too would probably hve started with him especially as he made such an impression on the training ground before the palace game.

However McVeigh has impressed coming off the bench so I cant see him not starting against the Gooners with Bentley ineligible; if I was Worthy I had faith and start with Yonson for a couple more games yet - he will only benefit from playing.

Besides our season really only starts on Oct 2 when we need all players at their best - Worthy can experiment until then!

If Steve Bruces career had been judge on his first two games for city he would never have become the best player to have never played for england - give Yonson time too.

OTBC
OTBC

I know what you''re saying jobian, however, as we''re not expected to get anything out of the next couple of games anyway, we might as well use these games to bed the new players in. After all, the Premiership doesn''t get much harder than Man Utd away, Newcastle away and Arsenal at home, does it? Therefore if they bed in during these, they will start to look superb once we start the season for real.......