Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Real Salt Lake

How hilarious is that name! San Jose''s next opponents. Talk about delusions of grandeur! They''re good at that over the pond. Do you think they pronounce it Ray-al Salt Lake? Made me chuckle anyway!

Since it is Utah I guess they could have called themsleves the Utah Saints! or maybe another team already has this name, in fact, logically there is a team already which the band are named after? 

they do indeed say Ray-al Salt lake.... They have some funny Names.. Credit to toronto for going for the traditional and football souning "Toronto FC"

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

they do indeed say Ray-al Salt lake.... They have some funny Names.. Credit to toronto for going for the traditional and football souning "Toronto FC"

jas :)

[/quote]

Hilarious. I don''t know which sounds sillier - Real Salt Lake or Ray-al Salt Lake. One sounds like a lake made of real salt. The other just takes the mick! They seem to refer to themselves as RSL as well, which in my line of work stands for Registered Social Landlord!!

As for the Utah Saints, that''s from basketball apparently. The Utah Jazz moved from New Orleans where the american football team are called the New Orleans Saints. So they mixed the two in a bit of a ''mashup.'' In honour of their music style perhaps! I just love the video to something good 08. If you need a laugh, look it up on youtube!

[quote user="Belaugh Yellow"]

I know it is a totally diffrent country but the kaiser chiefs are named after a south african football team.

[/quote]

That one is a Leeds Utd connection.

Kaiser Chiefs band from Leeds-Leeds Utd-Lucas Radebe-Kaiser Chiefs FC

[quote user="Ween_Nasty"][quote user="Belaugh Yellow"]

I know it is a totally diffrent country but the kaiser chiefs are named after a south african football team.

[/quote]

That one is a Leeds Utd connection.

Kaiser Chiefs band from Leeds-Leeds Utd-Lucas Radebe-Kaiser Chiefs FC

[/quote]

ween-nasty are you as surprised as I am that we8bwa hasnt been contributed to this thread with something about ''my wolves''[:O]

Many of the MLS teams were trying to get soccer-traditional names for themselves, which is why there are teams like D.C. United, Toronto F.C. and Real Salt Lake.  Houston was originally going to be called Houston 1836 but the politically correct goons put an end to that, worried it might offend Mexicans since 1836 was the year we won independence from them. There are some mainland Euro teams that have names like that, although I always assumed the year was related to the date the team was founded.

Even so, this should explain why Real Salt Lake is called Real Salt Lake. 

Soccer is the rare exception.  Since we don''t have much soccer tradition here, it seemed reasonable to emulate the Euros since they seemed to have the club soccer with the widest appeal.  In every other aspect of life, you copy us[;)].  To try to make soccer popular here, we copied you hoping for the same result you have of soccer being massively popular.

Well positioned winking face HC!

Real seems an odd choice, unless Salt Lake has a spanish base? But for stupid names you want to look at the A League in Austrailia. PERTH GLORY!!!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Houston was originally going to be called Houston 1836 but the politically correct goons put an end to that, worried it might offend Mexicans since 1836 was the year we won independence from them. There are some mainland Euro teams that have names like that, although I always assumed the year was related to the date the team was founded.. 

[/quote]Why''s no-one copied Bern''s team''s name? [:^)]

Some other bands named after or influenced by football teams include:Simply Red ~ Man Utd.Aston VillaChelsea St EtienneAthletico Spizz 80 Silliest name has to go to this lot from South America. [img]http://www.subsidesports.com/uk/images/product/xlarge/DWankaHSS0203New.jpg[/img]