Sign in to follow this  
birdman

COOPER RELEASED

I have heard a rumour that David Cooper has been released today after a man of the match performance against Aston Villa at the weekend, here we go again, get rid of the tallent and keep the average. I watched the academy game and several of the Villa parents were commenting on him. When will the youth and reserve coaches learn how to spot a player and get rid of the blinkers. I watched Korey Smith and young Francombe for the reserves on Tuesday and neither of them are close to Cooper in my opinion, before anyone says it, no I''m not qualified but then again are the coaches as name a player they have trained through to the first team that has played regular? I would hope after 30+ years of watching football I can spot a player. Korey Smith is a battling midfielder who will go in and win the ball...he is not a right back, square pegs in round holes. Francombe is neat going forward but cannot defend. Good luck to young Cooper, you deserved more and I am sorry to see you go but I am sure you will find another club.

Maybe the rumour is not correct, maybe there are other characteristics a club footballer has to have besides playing football. I am not sure watching football for 30 years gives you (or me) the ability to judge a team player.

Perhaps he just had a one off good game when you saw him? perhaps he was superb against Villa but absolutley shocking vs everybody else, every player has the odd good game!

Maybe they liked the look of him but thought, no we don''t want good players at our club, let''s get rid of him and let someone else benefit from his talents. Is that what you really think??

I really hope that this is not true, if so its a pathetic decision.

I have seen David Cooper a number of times and he is one of our best academy youngsters and in my opinion could play in the prem one day with the right coaching, but his face doesnt fit in down with Ricky Martin''s crew down at Colney and as Peter Jones will say "for that reason alone im out!".

i''ve not seen the boy play - but rationally, if a boy gives a motm performance against villa (no less) then it must be crass to ditch him the next week...forget sentiments (and blue eyed boys) - if the boy has talent and prospects - and has given a more than decent display against quality oppo (villa have got a good youth set up - they have had former youth team players in their prem side)  then surely to keep him for a while longer in these circumstances would be prudent...and yeah - there''s no guarantees on how these boys will progress - but having seen the reserves play - our home grown young''uns are off the pace req''d for first team imo...

[quote user="yellow blood"]Good youngsters don''t always go on to make good players when they step up...Danny Crow anyone? [/quote]

I know. The list of academy boys that Ciy have released who have then gone on to star in the Premier League (or Championship, for that matter) is endless(!)

Incidentally, has this "rumour" actually been confirmed anywhere yet?

Would be a real shame if this is the case. He is a steady reliable  defender who defends well and is excellent with his distribution and his free kicks . Having seen him play on saturday I am surprised if the rumours are true. It appears that he gets on with his job and the goal he scored the previous week was class. Whilst I appreciate that football is clearly an opinions game .. hopefully he will continue as he is a top guy by all accounts as well.

[quote user="Chip20"]

[quote user="yellow blood"]Good youngsters don''t always go on to make good players when they step up...Danny Crow anyone? [/quote]

I know. The list of academy boys that Ciy have released who have then gone on to star in the Premier League (or Championship, for that matter) is endless(!)

[/quote] Endless? All i can think of was dion in the prem! okay probably more in the championship.

The trouble with our Academy is, and it''s been like this for years,  it''s not how good you are, it''s who you know, and if the face doesn''t fit your out!!!

I know it''s hardly an endless list but a couple who have been with the youth team or on trial with the youth team in relatively recent years - Bobby Zamora, Jimmy Bullard, Danny Shittu.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I know it''s hardly an endless list but a couple who have been with the youth team or on trial with the youth team in relatively recent years - Bobby Zamora, Jimmy Bullard, Danny Shittu.[/quote]

oh well....maradona was turned down by Sheff Utd! They opted for a team mate instead!

I can confirm that this is true and he is being released because once again just like Tom Miller his face doesnt fit in with Martin and Stephenson.

Personally from what I have seen I believe he is one the best players in our academy

I have been unable to confirm this, how can you confirm this? I am also gobsmacked one of our best prospects is being let go, please please, please Norwich academy wake up and start keeping the footballers and lets have some of our boys in the first team instead of going cap in hand to other academy''s. Stop keeping the boys that smile at the right time and tilt their cap when GR walks by.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I know it''s hardly an endless list but a couple who have been with the youth team or on trial with the youth team in relatively recent years - Bobby Zamora, Jimmy Bullard, Danny Shittu.[/quote]

oh well....maradona was turned down by Sheff Utd! They opted for a team mate instead!

[/quote]I believe St. Mirren, or one of the other smaller scottish sides turned him down aswell because he was "too short"

Lets wait until some of these so called youngsters with great potential that we are letting go make a break through somewhere else before we start criticising our academy shall we?  If we is so good he will surely be picked up by another club and proving the club wrong.

Yep and lets see how many of the boys who have been given pro contracts at Norwich make it, my guess is one, Decland Rudd. The rest are boys who''s faces fit and have very little footballing ability. This was shown in the reserves on Tuesday, none of the so called young pro''s performed and before any one states that this was one game I for one have not seen any of them perform well enough to warrant a pro contract. Something must be wrong when we have not produced someone from the academy in years, the faith in the academy staff from some people on here makes me laugh, do they deserve your faith? Oh and by the way, Tom Miller was released just last year and and a week later he went to that small club that plays in europe called Glasgow Rangers and aregular support of 55000 at home games.

[quote user="birdman"]Oh and by the way, Tom Miller was released just last year and and a week later he went to that small club that plays in europe called Glasgow Rangers and aregular support of 55000 at home games.[/quote]

And when Tom Miller starts turning out at Ibrox infront of those 55000 fans and playing in Europe then we''ll know someone made a mistake. But not until then.

And when we see one of the face fitters play for Norwich we will know the Academy staff know what they are doing, I will not hold my breath. If they knew what they were doing we would not be getting other clubs academy players in on loan. You are missing the point about Tom Miller, if a giant like Rangers thought he was worth a chance after a weeks trial why did Norwich let him go rather than pay the £250 a week to take a chance, instead of getting loan players in to make the numbers up who are on £1000+ a week and not even making the bench, no wonder were skint, remind me how many of these young loan players are getting regular first team football?

I think both points are valid: you''d have thought someone with potential was worth taking the chance on, but on the flipside, if they are a disruptive influence or something, why should we make particular exceptions for them if someone else is there willing to put in 100% effort and who is also worth the chance.  At the end of the day, each player has a lot of time invested in them - not just their wages - so it is down to those doing that investing to decide whether someone is worth taking the chance or not, not us who maybe never see the player or maybe just see them odd weeks here and there.

I have to say that there have been very few instances in recent years of players having been released by us and who have then gone on to perform in this or a higher level.  So in that respect, we can at least say that not too many recent mistakes have been made....but of course there will always be some, if only because players develop at different rates (ie Ian Wright, Kevin Phillips etc).  There will also always be times when a player isn''t ''right'' for one side but is for another - that is a fact of life and happens at all clubs, at all ages and at all levels throughout the game.

[quote user="birdman"]And when we see one of the face fitters play for Norwich we will know the Academy staff know what they are doing, I will not hold my breath. If they knew what they were doing we would not be getting other clubs academy players in on loan. You are missing the point about Tom Miller, if a giant like Rangers thought he was worth a chance after a weeks trial why did Norwich let him go rather than pay the £250 a week to take a chance, instead of getting loan players in to make the numbers up who are on £1000+ a week and not even making the bench, no wonder were skint, remind me how many of these young loan players are getting regular first team football?[/quote]

How am I missing the point?

You think the club aren''t looking to hold on to the right youth players (possibly for reasons other than football) and you think a club like Rangers taking on Tom Miller is going to prove your point.

You ask how many of the young loan players are getting regular first team football well...at this early stage of the season Bertrand, Omosuzi and Lupoli have already featured heavily. Grounds has already been in the team since he arrived. So that leaves only OJ and TAH who have obviously been signed as backup with potential. And you need a big squad so signing two players from Premiership clubs as backup seems to make quite good sense really. Don''t think you can find too much wrong with that has been done there. Not unless you''re really determined to find something wrong with it.

[quote user="Barclaybred"][quote user="Chip20"]

[/quote] Endless? All i can think of was dion in the prem! okay probably more in the championship.[/quote]It looks like somebody has the inability to spot Sarcasm.

[quote user="birdman"]

I have heard a rumour that David Cooper has been released today after a man of the match performance against Aston Villa at the weekend, here we go again, get rid of the tallent and keep the average. I watched the academy game and several of the Villa parents were commenting on him. When will the youth and reserve coaches learn how to spot a player and get rid of the blinkers. I watched Korey Smith and young Francombe for the reserves on Tuesday and neither of them are close to Cooper in my opinion, before anyone says it, no I''m not qualified but then again are the coaches as name a player they have trained through to the first team that has played regular? I would hope after 30+ years of watching football I can spot a player. Korey Smith is a battling midfielder who will go in and win the ball...he is not a right back, square pegs in round holes. Francombe is neat going forward but cannot defend. Good luck to young Cooper, you deserved more and I am sorry to see you go but I am sure you will find another club.

[/quote]1. No mention of this on the official site.2. No mention of this on the FONCY site.3. Presumably the David Cooper that played for the Academy yesterday is a different David Cooper?http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED27%20Sep%202008%2017%3A59%3A29%3A747

[quote user="Reg Presley"][quote user="birdman"]

[/quote]

1. No mention of this on the official site.
2. No mention of this on the FONCY site.
3. Presumably the David Cooper that played for the Academy yesterday is a different David Cooper?
http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED27%20Sep%202008%2017%3A59%3A29%3A747
[/quote]

So this whole thread is a load of BS just so someone can have a rant at the academy??