Sign in to follow this  
james norwich

Barnsley - a game too far for Fotheringham

I was at Barnsley yesterday and fully agree with the comments made elsewhere on this site. I''ve never got on the bandwagon of picking on some of our players, preferring to get behind the team.

But enough is enough, GR has a blindspot where our Captain is concerned. Fotheringham brings nothing to the game, an average leader (anyone can do high fives...), a poor passer & stands off the opposition midfield. For the third game running, we have lost it in the centre of midfield - where Fotheringham chases shadows and fails to stamp any authority in this area of the pitch.

Barnsley left their Captain out of the squad yesterday, GR needs to follow suit. Russell needs to drop into midfield in place of Fotheringham and we need to put a striker up front. We failed to compete yesterday in the middle of the park against a struggling Barnsley team - if we expect a top 10 finish we should be coming away from such games with 3 points. By half time we were fortunate not to be 2.0 down!

GR - don''t play people out of position and put Fotheringham in his rightful position in the pecking order in the squad; behind Chadwick & Lappin and slightly ahead of Eagle.

Here Here! i was also there yesterday. Fozzy takes pretty much every set piece and nothing ever comes of them. Free kicks blaze over. corners don''t beat the first man. it''s not good enough the only time he let someone else take something yesterday was Semmy (a decent free-kick going just wide but any touch in the 6-yard box and it''s a goal) and Hoolahan when he came on (a couple of decent corners, better than fozzys left hand corners anyway). I think everybody bar Marshall had a very disappointing game yesterday but Fozzy really stood out.

My biggest disappointment was Sibierski - I don''t think I saw him win a single aerial ball, and god knows there were plenty of them! I''m sure he was just having one game off the pace and he''s going to be very valuable for us this season, but this wasn''t his game.

[quote user="james norwich"]

I was at Barnsley yesterday and fully agree with the comments made elsewhere on this site. I''ve never got on the bandwagon of picking on some of our players, preferring to get behind the team.

But enough is enough, GR has a blindspot where our Captain is concerned. Fotheringham brings nothing to the game, an average leader (anyone can do high fives...), a poor passer & stands off the opposition midfield. For the third game running, we have lost it in the centre of midfield - where Fotheringham chases shadows and fails to stamp any authority in this area of the pitch.

GR - don''t play people out of position and put Fotheringham in his rightful position in the pecking order in the squad; behind Chadwick & Lappin and slightly ahead of Eagle.

[/quote]

I agree James. But rescue will come in the shape of a fit again Clingan - he can set up moves and pass through defences for the likes of Croft and Russell to run onto. This will probably mean Fotheringham keeps his place if the team starts winning. There''s also the likelihood of Bell making an appearance soon. Odd that we are clearly losing it in midfield when we have so many midfielders on our books. Chadwick can run and penetrate defences and Lappin used to try to pass forward - as well as delivering a decent set piece. I remember reading soon after his appointment posts from outsiders who said GR was a good manager but spoilt things by a fondness to play players out of position - why oh why? As for Fotheringham (as has been said many times); he''s a decent squad player but neither his leadership, on pitch skills nor simple effectiveness merits an automatic place. While he remains GR''s darling, my prediction at the start of the seaspon for a final poition of 15th remains unchanged.

Barnsley left their Captain out of the squad yesterday, GR needs to follow suit. Russell needs to drop into midfield in place of Fotheringham and we need to put a striker up front. We failed to compete yesterday in the middle of the park against a struggling Barnsley team - if we expect a top 10 finish we should be coming away from such games with 3 points. By half time we were fortunate not to be 2.0 down!

[/quote]Agree with what you say except about lappin,i would put my pet dancing monkey in the team before him,play with 10 men,use a delia pie,play my mum in fact i would rather do anything than play lappin

[/quote] No way is Robert Eagle that bad !!!!

[/quote]

Barnsley was my first game this season - I too was looking out for Fotheringham''s performance. He was very much a passenger IMO, he didn''t compete or get anywhere near close enough to Barnsley''s central midfielders. Barnsley''s Leon stook out where Fozzy just walked around - not getting forward or providing particularly good protection for the back four. Pattison was just as bad mind you! (Liked the song about Pattison  [:D])

At least when Cureton came on for Pattison and Rusty when into midfield we had a bit of drive and urgency. I havwn''t seen Clingan play but I''d like to think he would be better than Fozzy....

[quote user="jim blair"][quote user="james norwich"]

[/quote] No way is Robert Eagle that bad !!!![/quote]

Eagles just hampered by a lack of pace.. find me a better crosser at the club!

jas :)