Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Your favourite norwich city player (that you've seen play)

ian crook for me.  But then as an intelligent,creative midfielder myself thats an easy choice.The most exciting player i have seen would have to be eadie , the guy was different class.....sure huckswas exciting too but eadie would easily have been an england regular down the left if not so frequently injured...hucks however would have made englands B side at best.

I think that favourite is a personal criteria - it does not naturally imply best, most intelligent etc.

Except in the individual’s own opinion

Most posts select players from the more recent years, my merories are slighty longer

The 1959 Cup team were all my favourites

Nethercott/Kennon, Thurlow, Ashman, McCrohan, Butler, Crowe, Crossen, Allcock, Bly, Hill  and Brennan

for true passion , fervour and excitement this team lit up East Anglia .

In my opinion this can never be surpassed.

I do not readily change favourites but Ralph Hunt was my first

and Ron Davies followed

Hucks was, and still is, a legend.  Martin Peters was probably the greatest player to ever wear the green and yellow, but as the question was your favourite, it has to be Mark Barham. Fantastic player, helped by the fact that he scored an absolute corker 48 seconds into my first match, stood in the Barclay, behind the goal, top corner, 30 yards. Hero!!!

Ian Culverhouse - Full back myself, he should have played for England.

Kevin Drinkell - The first consistant goalscorer in my time as a City fan.

Ian Crook - Quite simply, the most cultured footballer I''ve seen in Yellow and Green.

Darren Huckerby - Blew everyone away in that first season.

OTBC

Have to stick to my boyhood hero Kevin Keelan.  This is based on a number of factors - skill, charisma, longevity etc etc.  Could probably name a dozen others at least based on various criteria.  Very surprised that no one has mentioned the marvellous Iwan who singlehandedly kept us in the Championship for two seasons!

Ruel Fox, especially in combination with Gunny.In the Uefa Cup games, every time Gunny kicked the ball up-field he aimed at - and hit Fox''s head! It seemed amazing that the shortest player on the pitch would win the header, usually uncontested, every single time! Why did opposition players never learn??? Ruel had a fantastic first touch, a great turn of pace and could run with the ball like few others (except Hucks I guess but I never saw him play). I''m sure he didn''t have Hucks outright pace but he could turn & accelerate away from anyone. Should have been an England player while he was with us. Shame he faded away once he left.Ian Crook was great in the same team - a completely different type of player from Fox, didn''t really take on players much but could place the ball exactly where he wanted it.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Robert Fleck. Such passion with bags of talent.
[/quote]

Yup Flecky, love that punch v Millwall

Super Matty Svensson is my favourite. Not the greatest player to have worn the yellow and green, but he just seemed to love playing football and considering some of the players we''ve had to endure since our relegation he''s the sort of player we could have done with.

1) Bellamy - will always remember his hat-trick against QPR in the 4-2 win (3-1 up after about 10 mins!)

2) Hucks - for his runs agains Birmingham and Cardiff

3) Iwan - for his love and dedication to the club, 92 goals and his book (worth reading just for the Fabain Wilnis reference)

4) Mackay - Solid defender, should never have let him go

5) Neilson - Just because he would always try to get the crowd going (and wind up the opposition - anyone see the Wimbledon game?)

[quote user="bristol_canary"]Marc Libbra[/quote]

Good call, forgot about him.  Very entertaining even though there wasn''t much end product

[quote user="Immaculate Pasta"][quote user="Dogger "]I always liked Culverhouse, never had a bad game, very under rated!![/quote]

Oh I don''t know, he managed a place in our best ever eleven.
[/quote]

True, but outside of Norwich he was under rated

Peters, Keelan, Fleck, Sutton, Barham, Fox, Gunn, Crook, Culverhouse, Bowen, Huckerby, Roberts, Super Mac, Big Dunc, Greg Downes (for some reason!), Mick Channon...It''s too difficult to single out one particular player...

Gary Holt (can''t believe old three lungs hasn''t been mentioned yet), Iwan Roberts, Darren HuckerbyI could write a list of another twenty or so though. They are my favourites and I''ve been going since 92. Oh and Gunny would have to be there, the way he used to charge over to remonstrate with the linesman...

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

So many to choose from apart from the obvious like Hucks and Crook:

Great skill- Jimmy Neighbour, Dale Gordon,Martin O''neill , Graham Paddon and especially Mark Barham

Great characters - Big Dunc, Kenny Foggo, Flecky and Kevin Keelan

Great goalscorers - Supermac,Drinkell, Sutton and the greatest Kevin Reeves

Intelligent Players- Dave Watson, Mel Machin, David Williams and Iwan

One player was all four.  The greatest Canary I ever saw live and one of the top five players I ever saw anywhere.......

Martin Peters

[/quote]

That''s so well put Cambs. And the longer I think about it the more players I want to add. Mick Channon from the 80''s, and then I have some earlier ones like Tommy Bryceland and Mal Lucas. When Hughie Curran left it broke my heart as a youngster!

But Martin Peters was all of them and my first memories of football include watching him score in the World Cup Final.

But the one legend will always be Kevin Keelan.