Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Whats Happened To The Slick Passing???

At the start of the season i was pleasantly surprised by the slick passing game we had, mainly involving Hoolohan, Lupoli, Clingan and Pattison

In the last 2 matches ive seen, against QPR and Sheff Utd i saw a completely different team, and one not that far from the team that played in the first home match last season, when we had Russell and Brellier in midfield and looked absolutely devoid of any attacking creativity, until Fozzy came on.

A year later and were no different. The performance against Sheff Utd was so boring, and if it wasnt for Crofty''s superb last minute winner id have gone up feeling like we''d been beaten 3-0.

With Hoolahan and Lupoli on the bench and no Clingan kick starting things we look so drab at the moment. The last 2 home games theres just been nothing, no attacking threat (apart from a bit from Croft) and no creativity.

People are blaming Fozzy and i agree he doesnt look at his best at the moment, but when he does have the ball there''s nothing on for him, the forward line is static, theres no Hucks to ping a ball in the corner to and Fozzy''s normally left with no option but to just pass sideways.

Were really looking boring at the moment, and once again i see no chance of playoff chasing come the end of the season

clingan, i think he is key to the quick and simple passing, look at the coventry game for instance, the first game, he and the midfield passed and moved superbly, obviously fozzie''s performances have gone downhill but i think that without clingan, no one is driving the ball out of defence and pushing us up the pitch.

I think Clingan was instrumental in the good passing football we all saw early on in the season particularly at home against Birmingham...I''ve not seen such energy in our midfield since "3 lungs" played for us, but in my opinion Clingan seems to be a much better passer of the ball than Holty.I think Clingan sits well in front of the back 4 and breaks the opposition''s attacking play up much better than Fozzy but without Clingan in the team I think the defensive responsibility weighs heavy on Fozzy''s shoulders and it has affected him in the last few games, this is just my observation, however, I really would like to see if Clingan and Rusty can play together in central midfield I think they would compliment each other far better than Clingan and Fozzy because they are too similar.I have also noticed just how static our attackers are at times it frustrates the hell out of me because as much as we want to see incisive passing from our midfield to the attack if there is no movement up front then the midfield has no target so the sideways or backwards pass is often the only option, I think Lupoli has been our best forward player in turns of making runs and trying to making space to receive the ball.Finally, Crofty''s crossing......we all know this is is not good enough at times but he is our only genuine wide player with pace at the moment and I''ve seen him put plenty of low crosses in the box onto he penalty spot over the last couple of seasons and it always seems to pass behind our front two who always seem to make the same run towards the six yard line and I sit there thinking only if we had Damien Francis making a late run into the box to get onto some of those crosses!!

Because weve got our ''target man'' we feel like we have to use him.

Also its much easier for a full back or centre have to aim a ball at Sibs rather than try and play the ball out.

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Because weve got our ''target man'' we feel like we have to use him.

[/quote]

Nail.. head.. hit.. no room for a target man in the game today... i keep saying it!

jas :)

I vaguely remember as a child, that the ''Torrey Canyon'' passed its slick onto the Cornish coast.....and some other places in the South West....