Sign in to follow this  
hook norton canary

line up v newcastle?

green
helveg the doc charlton drury
mcveigh francis holt bentley
huckerby svensson

i thought long and hard about that, would love to start leon but he and hucks doesn''t work, also would give the doc a go at centre half, also mcveigh deserves a start, and jonson deserves a place on the bench!

Helveg and Holt have 1 more game, if both underperform edworthy and mulryne in for arsenal!

how do u know leon and huckerby don''t work? how many times have they played with each other? what have we got to lose? nothing! what have we gained from playing huckerby and svensson? 1 point.

look now is the time to try these things out. we''ve got nothing to lose and everyting to gain. the hucks leon partnership should be given a go. we don''t want to get into the portmouth, wba etc games and start changing the team around because we don''t know what works and what doesn''t. now is the best time to try these things out, and i feel it might just work.

team for newcastle game:

green

helveg doherty/fleming charlton drury

mcveigh holt francis bentley

mckenzie huckerby

Just an idea, what about pushing Helveg into a right hand midfield role and putting steady eddie at right back, mcveigh on the left and Doherty and Huckerby up front - he will need to change it on Saturday anyway.
Green
Edworthy,Charlton,Fleming,Drury
Helveg,Francis,Holt,Mcveigh
Huckerby, Doherty

Dont see any reason to change the centre backs at this stage.

Green
Helveg Fleming Charlton Drury
Mcveigh Francis safri [if fit otherwise holt] Bentley
Huckerby Doherty

so 10 mins at centre forward proves Doherty is a better centre-back than Fleming !!!

and Svensson!! Let''s give Leon a chance. Matty has had 2 and failed.

Brennan instead of bentley too (it would help defensively)

Can''t leave out Fleming - last years man of the season and solid thus far.

Can''t continue with Svensson either - reasons obvious.

My view:-

green
helveg fleming charlton drury
mcveigh francis holt bentley
huckerby doc

Play Doc again as emergency big man striker - came off well on Saturday - and he''s on the pitch if we need more central defensive height.

Shorty but mobile defence should cope with Shearer, who''s no giant and Bellamy who''s pacey.

Have Mulryne ready for a no show from Holt.

Generally agree.
Was lucky enough to be at Old T on Sat. Holt ran his sox off but can''t seem to distribute for luv or money. I really begin to wonder if he''s going to make the grade. Sad because he was a rock last year but, in the Premiership, sentiment equals ''nul points''. I say give him one last chance on Wed against the coal merchants, just to see if he''s up to it, but we can''t have him handing the ball to anyone in the Arsenal team the way he did on Sat at Man U - do that, and it''ll be a goal every time - witness their destruction of M''bro yesterday. Scotland may play that way, but we mustn''t.
Svennson was just not goal hungry at Old T. I SWEAR Leon would have put Hucks'' cross away. He''s a least half a yard faster and wants to spread the net every time he''s near the goal. Mr W gave him a full 14 mins this time (only 8 against C Palace). I wrote last week to drum up support for Leon and most seemed to agree. Must get Mr W to read our correspondence...
We only tried the Hucks/Leon duo once from the start last season and I agree it wasn''t too good. They missed a big man up with them. Jonson looked good in the air against C Palace - could always consider that option?
So, this would mean
1. Green (what a series of saves on Sat - fearless and commanding; what more can we ask for?)
2. Helveg (no repeats of the sugar plum fairy dance, please - effective, but costly at one yellow card per pirouette)
3. Phlegming (must see the doc...)
4. Charlton (looking dependable)
5. Drury (I still think he''s not played so well since he became captain a season ago - and he''s the most silent football leader I''ve ever seen/not heard on a pitch... Would take the armband away and get him to practise bringing the ball upfield and putting in some crosses)
6. Mcveigh (after 5 iffy minutes, the boy did exceptionally well on Sat, not just with the goal but also some great tackling back and distribution. A ''must begin'' on this form)
7. Francis (let''s be honest - not great on skill but guts, guts guts all the way through him, like Yarmouth rock - he just wants to be in the action)
8. Holt (see above - drinking in the last chance saloon? Remember, Gary, it''s a green shirt you''ll be wearing, not a blue one...)
9. Jonson (to see if he can help the HUcks/Leon duo gel - worth a try in the first half on Wed, I feel. Can only assume he suffered a Paula Radcliffe on the day, last Sat)
10. Hucks (gradually raising his game as his fitness improves, but can''t do it alone)
11. Leon (still think he could become our ''wonder poacher'' this year - and not just because he''s read Delia''s chapter on how to cook an egg...)

Subs
12. Rolls-Royce (quiet for too long in both matches. Great strike on Sat but needs to get more involved. No good just standing and shouting at his team mates. The way Bergkamp played on Sunday,we could have him for a couple of seasons yet...)
13. Mulryne (hopefully sitting it out on the bench means he''s getting hungry, and I don''t mean for a kebab...)
14. Edworthy

what exactly did charlton and fleming do wrong that means doherty should play. I think we should go unchaged, except change leon for a totally out of form svennson.
Helveg wasnt as bad as some people say, considering his lack of cover and bentley should play in his normal position where his range of passing can be fully used. still think we need to shift to 4-3-3. but on the whole team should be in good heart.

I think the only change from Sats line up will be Doc in for Flem - to combat Shearers height. Charlton has looked the better of the two centre halfs so he keeps his place, whether Flem was player of the season last year or not.

Yonson should allowed to continue with his prem education with WLY available from the bench if he continues to struggle. Sven too will start and should improve as service to his feet and not 2 feet above his head becomes the norm - with Leon and Mcveigh on the bench we know we have players who can change the game if needed.

OTBC

How about this?

Green

Helveg - The Doc - Charlton - Drury

McVeigh - Francis - Safri - Hucks

Bentley - Leon

Bentley dropping off in the Bergkamp type role, with Leon as our very own Henry!

OTBC

I agree with the last two posts about the central defence for Wednesday. We''ll need The Doc''s height and strength to look after Shearer / Ameobi, with Charlie mopping up and using his experience against Bellars. WeLoveYouPaul should start on the right and Leon in for Matty S, who needs to get his confidence back with a few goals in the Reserves. However, with the Doc at the back, we''ll forego his ability in the air, so we''re going to have to get the ball on the floor and pass it to the front players.

Hook, your first post on here says that Leon and Hux do not work together. I have to disagree, I know they started together last year, against Bradford I think, and it all went pear shaped that day. But Leon scored lots of goals last year and Hux was also playing at the same time. We did play 4-3-3 a lot, which I know we are unlikely to do this year. But for me Leon is the man, he is a scoring machine and should play.

While I''d agree that McKenzie''s hunger for success deserves a start I don''t think it works with what Worthy appears to want to play. He seems to have a believe that you can only play football with a target man up front!! Somebody correct my interpretation here if I''m wrong.

It''s a question of how long it will take for him to realise that in the Premiership you can destroy teams by keeping the ball on the deck and attacking with pace.

Why not stick four speedsters up front and let them rotate?

So,

Green

Helveg, Fleming, Charlton, Drury ----- "Chorlton and his wheelies ;-)"

Francis, Holt

McVeigh, Huckerby, McKenzie, Bentley

And from those front four rotate two into the wide positions as play dictates.

To me its pretty obvious:

green

edworthy fleming charlton drury

mcveigh XXX francis bentley

mckenzie huckerby

Subs:

Doherty
Svensson
Gallacher
Helveg
Brennan

Helveg did not look sharp on Saturday. He and Jonson must up their games and "get used to the pace of English football" that we alwyas hear about overseas players. They just didn''t look ready and it was like playing with two less men.

So Edworthy comes in, he was steady and much underrated last year.

Brennan handy man to have on bench- could strengthen midfield if needed or play wide if Bentley or McV tire.

Leon for Matt. Match Hux pace with someone who can support him. Its so obvious, Together they began to sking the Utd rearguard.

The XXX is the only worry. 3 options in descending order and only Nige knows the injury situation:
1. Safri if fit
2. Mulryne if fit
3. Holt only if the others aren''t fit. We cannot have a vacuum in the engine room of the team and much as I admire Holt he is not looking good. May have to suffer the Malky fate.

I agree with you morph that we should concentrate on playing footie on the deck - if that happened Svens link up play would improve considerably. Last season when Sven was under fire part of the problem was the service he was getting - he was constantly receiving the ball over 6 feet off the ground.

The bloke is a control and touch player rather than an out and out target man. When our delivery lowered to 4ft and below Sven showed what he can do - holding up the ball well with a surprisingly good touch and brought supporting players into the game. Our best football of the season was during this period.

Morphs selection should work but I cant see Worthy changing his selections just yet. The time sven gets on the pitch is likely to drop so I hope to see an earlier introduction of Mackenzie but we shall wait and see. More likely we will see sven continue to start and I hope to see an improvement in the quality of ball sent forward - just a couple of feet lower would do Svens confidence (and our faith in him) the world of good.

Still confident that the only change to the man u game will be a starting place for the doc ahead of Flem.

The subs may be interesting though. Ward, Mackenzie & McVeigh will be there, and I would put Flem, if not starting, and Brennan to give the team some options.

OTBC

I do begin to wonder sometimes I really do. Drop Fleming?? Come on, what games are some of you watching???

Docherty held the ball up well and changed the game, he will remain up front to give us some time to break forward, nobody else can give us that unless we get someone else in in the next 24 hours...

Tommorrows team will be:

Helveg Fleming Charlton Drury

McVeigh Holt Francis Bentley

Docherty Huckerby

My only wish would be for Saffri to be fit and replace Holt so we can actually get the ball to the danger areas.

I know what you mean about Flem JCT - however it is a case of horses for courses.

By common consent aerial prowess is not the flem/charlton partnerships strength & Shearers aerial threat does need looking at. A just returned from injury Malky is not really ideal but is a valid option. However The Doc has match fitness and is usually a defender, worthy confirmed that was why he bought him for approaching £1m, so he edges malky out...

Charlton has looked the most impressive of the partnership that has played so far so he gets the nod over Flem.

I am a bit worried that we havent kept a clean sheet in 6 games though.. and have never scored a prem goal at st james park - time to change those stats - he said hopefully.

OTBC

As you say, Newcastle have an ariel presence, I agree. So surely dropping Charlton instead of Fleming is the answer, rather than the other way around?! Fleming is better in the air. Charlton.

Docherty, yep long term a defender, but it was very clear for all to see against Man Utd that Sven is never going to be of the quality required to fulfill the role that allows Huckerby to play.

I agree he may start with Docherty, and Fleming, in defence, but I hope for the sake of us having any chance of breaking and putting pressure on their defence that we put him up front at least for tommorrow.

correct me if i''m wrong here, but what did doherty really show up front. he won a few headers, but give away the ball on the ground a few times too. leon caused much more of a threat. It''s far too early to judge the doc.

and talk up here is that shearer will be dropped for this game for kluivert. I think stick with fleming and charlton either way and let them show us how they cope in the air.

rich

Hmmm this is a tricky one.

Newcaste do have an aerial presence but its not height - its committment. Shearer goes in where it hurts, muscles up and barges through players.

For my money, Fleming and Charlton will deal with that type of challenge and should manage Bellers too.

Keep Doc in reserve as a defender, or even use him up front again temporararily as some have suggested in lieu of Sven.

Considering the last 15 minutes at Old Trafford its got to be:

Green

Helveg (pos Edworthy) Charlton Flem Drury

WLY Francis Holt (pos Safri) Bentley

Doc Hucks

We looked so much better when we had an airial threat up front. Even if the Doc was bought as a centre back he did pretty damn well up front for me. Jonson has looked quiet so far and WLY did brilliantly when he came on.

Keep the faith

Oh the fickle nature of the preverbial supporter.
When we signed Safri quite a few people slated his ability even before he''d managed to get his hands on the beloved green and yellow kit. Now all of a sudden (i.e. a rather surprising dip in form from Gary Holt) we''re all harping on about how he''s needed in the centre of midfield to shore it up.
Mmmm, this isn''t a criticism to any one person, more an observation of how the opinions of some are as solid as the wind: blowing here, there and everywhere.

anyways, as you were...

Fair point Anderz, when Safri signed it seemed like a waste of money to most, 3 months later and not he hasn''t kicked a ball in competitive match and he is our saviour who will replace a man who has been excellent for us in the past 3 years, and had one ineffective performance against a top team, especially given holty played 90 minutes at right back for scotland!!
Another thread a month or so back asked for our top 5 most influential players for this season, most peoples included Svennsson in that 5, I disagreed at the time, but one thing to note is the stick he is now receiving and that he isn''t good enough for the premiership from the same people applauding him just a few weeks ago.

As for the lineup it will be the same as what started last game, with Mcveigh coming in for Jonson

i think the line uo should BE

1--GREEN
2--EDWORTHY
3--FLEMING
4--MACKAY

5--BENTLEY
6--SAFRI
7--FRANCIS
8--MCVEIGH

9--HUCKERBY
10--LEON

SUBS--SVEN-HOLT-WARD-CHARLTON-HELVEG