Sign in to follow this  
Pincer

LEON MUST START!!!!

I certainly think we have options up front now, Doc has added some gingerness missing from the team since Iwan left, once we add Harewood to the mix I think our team will be very balanced and definetly capable of champions league football. And yes, I think Leon should start!!

Agreed. But today Doherty was the big surprise for me. He made a huge difference compared to Svensson. Ok lumping the ball up front shouldn''t be a long term plan, but it showed how pathetic Svensson''s touch, control, postioning, movement, jumping and complete lack of strength is. I''d love it if Svensson proved me wrong, but I just can''t see it happening.

Get to the back of the queue Matt. You''ve had your chance.

I agree, I was surprised what a difference Doherty made to the forward line. Suddenly we won balls in the air with consistency. I was a bit unsure about Svensson until we played WBA and he caused them all sorts of hassle. For whatever reason it''s not worked in the first two games. All too often the midfield are level with him when he''s looking to nod it on, he loses it and we have to backtrack.

After today I would also imagine WLY will start in place of Jonsson who seems strangely off the pace.

Am also looking forward to getting some unbiased reporting. Sky had Trevor Francis vs Palace and Sky had 2 old Manyoo defenders.

"Get to the back of the queue Matt. You''ve had your chance. "

That''s a bit harsh. It took a while to settle last season...

I agree!!!! Svensson is not cutting it at the moment, and walking about the pitch from the early stages is not really impressive!!

Doherty did well, Francis, Green, drury, and Charlton fantastic!! OTBC!!

Pincer -well done! You''ve beaten me to it with this thread. I only want to talk in positive terms so will just say that McKenzie gave us pace and he looked menacing. Could have levelled it near the end too. Football in the Prem (so far) doesn''t seem so much about having a big target man, but more about slicing defences apart with swift passing moves - and McK gives us that. I would start him on Wednesday, but I''m not the manager!

Agree that McKenzie should be given a start, he chased the ball, closed players down and even knocked Roy Keane off the ball to create his chance, and that was in 15 mins on the pitch. Worthy must be the only person who knows why he is persevering with Svensson, because for the second game running he did absolutely nothing.

I also thought McVeigh had his best game for a long time and might be worth a start on the right in place of Jonson. In defence Charlton looked outstanding and I can''t see him losing his place.

We might have lost 2 - 1 but that last half hour showed that we can frighten the big boys when we have a bit of self belief. Do that for 90 mins at Newcastle and who knows we might just come away with some points.

im not sure.

We need height so we must go for:

Doherty - if we havnt signed johanson. Looked great and played some nice touches of the head. ANd the one that sent mckenzie to have a closeblast into the side netting....

Svennson - NO WAY!!! - probably wouldnt even make the bench for me.

Johanson - Defenently if we sign him!

Leon is obviously not on eof Nigel''s favourites for whatever reason (ditto Jim Brennan). How else can you explain his perseveance with MS and putting on Gary Doherty first.

i think leon is at his best coming off the bench. he''s a little sparkplug and gives us some energy. i would have serious doubts about his ability as a starter. sometimes, there are players who are just magic off the bench. he may be that person for us.

but an alternative to sven must be found. either that or sven needs to prove us wrong.

i agree nycanary

braintee canary........

......the only reason doherty got put on the field before Leon was because of height. Norwich needed a target man and doherty was the best man for the job.

i think it says alot when i was in the pub watching the game and when leon came on the man utd fans i was near could not belive how quick he was he also chased every ball

Now, I love Svenny, still you all knew that, yes?. But, and it pains me greatly to say this, Leon must start against Newcastle.

His pace would I believe frighten them to death, and anyone who/can barge Keeno off the ball fairly, MUST be included in the starting line up!.

why do we need a target man? it is time to get out of this way of playing, as some of you have said, and i will repeat, the prem is all about playing proper football, and if we are to stay here for any length of time we have to do the same. Okay, it will cost money, more than we have got i suppose, but we have to start somewhere and starting to pass the ball around is first up. Greeno pumping balls up to svensson (or whoever) is not going to work, quick accurate passing in the final third is - instead to buying yet another ''target'' man we should be looking at someone who can get in there and pass the ball - and more importantly receive passes himself. We have to start with leon against newcastle, surely he, hucks and bentley should all play together, linking up with the superb francis who is clearly having the time of his life, we cannot waste the talents of someone at the top of his form.

No, i do not have a long list of who we should be going for - my knowledge of the prem is not that great, but surely buying yet another target man is not moving on, we have to move on and up - not backwards, iwan is gone, sven is off form, so drop him and try something else, these next few games are not a rehersal, they are the real thing, let''s start playing for real.

yes i to would hate to say this but svensson needs to sit on the bench and leon needs to start ,i think also if doherty starts i think leon and svesson should hand in a transfer request how must they feel special leon also what has eddy done not to start , i feel nigel should of started the season with the team that got us they.

I have to agree GTG - passing the ball from the back will always give us a better return for our efforts and is the main reason why I would like a ball playing midfielder. Sven or Leon could do us a job if they get better service althogh the jury remains unconvinced that Leon and Hux would work in a 4-4-2.

Buying Ashton may help the club move in the right direction, however greater gains would be made by mixing pace and fluid passing movements from the back.

OTBC

king of latvia, I agree. The weakest players have been the new players on the whole, with the exception of Charlton who had to play due to Malky''s injury. If it aint broke, don''t fix it.

By the way, a defense works as a unit. The reason we were so brilliant defensively last year was because: Green, Fleming, Drury, Edworthy and Malky were almost ever-present. We cant start playing: Helveg, Charlton, Doherty, Drury accross the back, they don''t understand each other yet.

If green concedes a hatfull against arsenal some of you will no doubt start calling for Ward of Gallagher to be given their chance!?!

I am one of Neon''s biggest fans, but the one question that has not been answered here is where do you put him. If NW wants the Doc up front for tonight at least, alongside Hux, where are you putting Leon? Maybe Hux and Leon playing off the Doc in a 4-3-3/4-5-1. Definitely sounds promising but that means no place for Bentley.
I feel certain the starting line up tonight will be Green, Helveg, Charlton, Fleming, Drury, WLY, Francis, Holt, Bentley, Doc, Hux. Only question mark could be over Helveg - Edworthy has excellent and surprising pace that could see him handle Bellamy, Jenas, Dyer and co better. Yikes, those names are scaring me already!
I think we had an extraordinary season for lack of injuries last year and we can''t enjoy such luck this time around so i''m certain that Leon will get his chance this season and that he''ll grab it with both hands. I''ve got him in my Fantasy team ''cos he''s always going to come on, give me the appearance points and bang some in as well!