Sign in to follow this  
Im Dicky Too

Musings - GR, Jewell, Spurs.

Hello. I''ve been a passive viewer of these pages for a while now. Two questions on my mind have prompted me to become active. One is about GR, the other about Spurs.

1. When GR was appointed many of us were not thrilled by the prospect. I remember several people were hoping that Jewell would come here, myself included. My question is, given what has happened since then, would you be willing to swap Roeder for Jewell, or for that matter any other current Championship manager? Would you, for example, be willing to swap GR for Mick McCarthy? Has GR done enough so far to convince you that he was the right appointment? My personal opinion is that, overall, GR has done a good job. It''s clear that his tenure isn''t going to be a disaster, but whether he can deliver Premiership football I''m not sure. (Although a lot of the factors involved in that question lie beyond his control). But I''m interested to see how far GR can take us and am happy for him to be given time.

2. When we lost to Spurs in pre-season, a lot of people comforted us by saying that Spurs were going to be a strong team in the Premiership this season. However, so far they have been the worst. Those of you who saw them play us, are you surprised by their current plight, and does it put our loss in a new light?

Spurs plight is due to a trumped up little fart of a manager who put his ego before the team..

Keane, Defoe and Berbatov would all still be there and they''d of been chasing Europe if Ramos wasnt up his own backside

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Spurs plight is due to a trumped up little fart of a manager who put his ego before the team..

Keane, Defoe and Berbatov would all still be there and they''d of been chasing Europe if Ramos wasnt up his own backside

[/quote]yeah jas - thats 3 big talents gone, who take alot of time to replace with the same quality or better...

1. Roeder did a great job last season to keep us up, has cleared a lot of dead wood from both on the pitch and off it, he makes pretty shrewd use of the loan market (including foreign loans that don''t count towards our quota),and his permanent additions look OK as well.  We are playing better football and comfortably in mid table and above Ipswich.  Sure, there is a lot still to do before we can be realistic challengers and we can worryingly still turn in abject performances (QPR and yesterday for two) but generally we are moving forward.  On that basis I would not swap him for Jewell or any other Championship manager at the moment.

2. Having seen the Spurs game first hand and been embarrassed at the ease with which they passed us off the pitch in the second half I am amazed at where they find themselves.  That said though I think their big problem is the way they allowed both Keane and Berbatov to leave without making adequate replacement provision (the latter so ridiculously late when it was obvious he wanted out).  They will improve though and come Christmas will be back in mid-table I am sure. 

I was at the spurs game and said to a Spurs friend of mine that they were in for a season of struggle if they play like they did. 5 goals, fair enough, was too much for us, however apart from Lennon and Darren Bent they looked a very shoddy team and looks like their table position shows that.

[/quote]

Defoe left because he couldn''t displace Keane or Berbatov from the first XI, Keane left to join the team he supported as a kid and Berbatov sulked his way to a move to Europe''s biggest club. How is any of that down to the ego of Ramos [8-)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Defoe left because he couldn''t displace Keane or Berbatov from the first XI, Keane left to join the team he supported as a kid and Berbatov sulked his way to a move to Europe''s biggest club. How is any of that down to the ego of Ramos [8-)]

[/quote]

they didnt want to leave under Jol who tended to rotate things.... also, what quality has Ramos bought in at Spurs? he''ll be the next manager sacked this season.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

they didnt want to leave under Jol who tended to rotate things.... also, what quality has Ramos bought in at Spurs? he''ll be the next manager sacked this season.

[/quote]

Liverpool and Man Yoo didn''t make bids for Berbatov and Keane when Jol was manager though so that proves nothing. I think you''re probably right about him being the next manager to be sacked but I''m interested to know why you think Spurs problems are down to his ''ego'' or the fact that he''s ''up his own backside''. Well I say interested, but that''s probably stretching things a little.

[quote user="Thirst Wizard"]  when you have a manager who still needs an interpreter after eight months you''re heading for sticky times. 
[/quote]

*cough*England*Cough*.. although Capello is now making progress in learning the lingo...

[quote user="Thirst Wizard"]  when you have a manager who still needs an interpreter after eight months you''re heading for sticky times.  [/quote]

*cough*England*Cough*.. although Capello is now making progress in learning the lingo...

[/quote]Capello actually speaks reasonable English now - he just refuses to do interviews in English because the English press will pick up on any little mistakes he makes and twist his words around misquote him and change the meaning of his replies. Can''t really blame him for that and I don''t blame him for doing his interviews in his native tongue.

Imo Jewell does not become a bad manager over night, no more than Roeder becomes a great manager, Jewells success rate is better than Roeders and i would put money on Jewell being in the premier again before Roeder, i still think Derby will figure at the end of season. I wanted Jewell here and still believe he could do the job.

As for spurs when you let your best players go, you get what you deserve, sounds familiar.

Spurs problem is in midfield in my opinion. When you start with Modric and Jenas in the middle, there is no presence, nobody to make tackles and hence they get overun.

[quote user="ricky knight"]As for spurs when you let your best players go, you get what you deserve, sounds familiar.[/quote]Sounds familiar to who? Have we sold anyone that would have taken this league by storm this season?