Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Powers

No place for a mere millionaire

Just read the below article on Simon Jordan and Crystal Palace. Sounds very similar to the place we are in with too much power in the hands of players and at the very top of the game. Never had much time for Jordan but you can''t deny he wants what is best for his club which is very similar to our situation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/oct/01/crystalpalace

[quote user="Greyhound Louie"]

Just read the below article on Simon Jordan and Crystal Palace. Sounds very similar to the place we are in with too much power in the hands of players and at the very top of the game. Never had much time for Jordan but you can''t deny he wants what is best for his club which is very similar to our situation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/oct/01/crystalpalace

[/quote]

Nice one Greyhound.Was trying to post this myself but couldn''t get the link to work! Its a very relevant article given our situation.

Ah, another one bleating that the fire is getting too hot. Didn''t stop them fuelling it though did it? Didn''t stop them trying to milk the fame? When they took over these clubs to become their ''saviours'' - why didn''t they actually save them - cut overheads and costs and put them on a SOUND financial footing? ''Nasty old players - trying to accumulate the same sort of wealth that I have - shame on them!''. Its laughable really.

[quote user="astrodyne"]Ah, another one bleating that the fire is getting too hot. Didn''t stop them fuelling it though did it? Didn''t stop them trying to milk the fame? When they took over these clubs to become their ''saviours'' - why didn''t they actually save them - cut overheads and costs and put them on a SOUND financial footing? ''Nasty old players - trying to accumulate the same sort of wealth that I have - shame on them!''. Its laughable really.
[/quote]

Errrr, isn''t that exactly what our board are being demonised for[8-)]?

So astro it seems you are suggesting that we should have shown less ambition and reduced our wage bill as that is the major cost - fine but would only work from a football perspective if other football clubs also reduce their wage bill at the same time which would probably be a good move

Ignore the handwringing, his interview can be summed up in five words: "Come and buy me out".  He has the sense to realise that it''s time to hand over the reins.  He can see that football is about to undergo a large scale "correction" and wants to get out before it takes place.  Trouble is that would-be investors can see it too and are waiting for it to happen so that they can buy up clubs at knockdown prices.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="astrodyne"]Ah, another one bleating that the fire is getting too hot. Didn''t stop them fuelling it though did it? Didn''t stop them trying to milk the fame? When they took over these clubs to become their ''saviours'' - why didn''t they actually save them - cut overheads and costs and put them on a SOUND financial footing? ''Nasty old players - trying to accumulate the same sort of wealth that I have - shame on them!''. Its laughable really.[/quote]

Errrr, isn''t that exactly what our board are being demonised for[8-)]?

[/quote]Err...not quite - because we are not actually on a sound financial footing now are we.......

[quote user="T"]So astro it seems you are suggesting that we should have shown less ambition and reduced our wage bill as that is the major cost - fine but would only work from a football perspective if other football clubs also reduce their wage bill at the same time which would probably be a good move[/quote]T - I don''t know what needs to be reduced, I''m not knowledgeable in economics. However, isn''t the point of taking over the reins of a club that was on a poor financial footing, that you then put it on a sound one? If not, then why take over in the first place?

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="T"]So astro it seems you are suggesting that we should have shown less ambition and reduced our wage bill as that is the major cost - fine but would only work from a football perspective if other football clubs also reduce their wage bill at the same time which would probably be a good move[/quote]

T - I don''t know what needs to be reduced, I''m not knowledgeable in economics. However, isn''t the point of taking over the reins of a club that was on a poor financial footing, that you then put it on a sound one? If not, then why take over in the first place?
[/quote]

Football''s basic problem (or at least that of the clubs who don''t benefit from the Sky jamboree) is that,unlike normal businesses the running costs are always likely to exceed income,beacause the knock on effect of the Premiership continues to push up players wages,agent''s fees etc. As a result clubs aren''t self financing and are therefore dependent on injections of capital from philanthropic owners to be able to compete. Whatever your view of them,the fact is that,without the input from the Turners and Smiths we would be in even deeper crap.The only way forward is to find investors with even deeper pockets.It is a self perpetuating bubble which ,like all bubbles (as Wall Street is currently learning),will eventually burst, but until it does, clubs either have to elect to play the game or be increasingly marginalised.[:@]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="T"]So astro it seems you are suggesting that we should have shown less ambition and reduced our wage bill as that is the major cost - fine but would only work from a football perspective if other football clubs also reduce their wage bill at the same time which would probably be a good move[/quote]T - I don''t know what needs to be reduced, I''m not knowledgeable in economics. However, isn''t the point of taking over the reins of a club that was on a poor financial footing, that you then put it on a sound one? If not, then why take over in the first place?[/quote]

Football''s basic problem (or at least that of the clubs who don''t benefit from the Sky jamboree) is that,unlike normal businesses the running costs are always likely to exceed income,beacause the knock on effect of the Premiership continues to push up players wages,agent''s fees etc. As a result clubs aren''t self financing and are therefore dependent on injections of capital from philanthropic owners to be able to compete. Whatever your view of them,the fact is that,without the input from the Turners and Smiths we would be in even deeper crap.The only way forward is to find investors with even deeper pockets.It is a self perpetuating bubble which ,like all bubbles (as Wall Street is currently learning),will eventually burst, but until it does, clubs either have to elect to play the game or be increasingly marginalised.[:@]

[/quote]No, I don''t accept that the only way forward is to hold your hands up and surrender. Where is the chairperson or celebrity of one of these beleagured clubs who has put their face in the papers to rally support from fellow chairpeople? Where is the presentation of financial hardship to the FL or FA by a combined group of chairpersons? To sit on ones hands and hope its going to be ''them'' go bust first, is not an option IMO.

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="T"]So astro it seems you are suggesting that we should have shown less ambition and reduced our wage bill as that is the major cost - fine but would only work from a football perspective if other football clubs also reduce their wage bill at the same time which would probably be a good move[/quote]

T - I don''t know what needs to be reduced, I''m not knowledgeable in economics. However, isn''t the point of taking over the reins of a club that was on a poor financial footing, that you then put it on a sound one? If not, then why take over in the first place?
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I don''t accept that the only way forward is to hold your hands up and surrender. Where is the chairperson or celebrity of one of these beleagured clubs who has put their face in the papers to rally support from fellow chairpeople? Where is the presentation of financial hardship to the FL or FA by a combined group of chairpersons? To sit on ones hands and hope its going to be ''them'' go bust first, is not an option IMO.
[/quote]

With respect I didn''t say that the way forward was to surrender. As a fan I''d love to see us competing on equal terms with the most sucessful clubs in the division. However,there is a price to pay,which is what I was flagging up.

[quote user="astrodyne"]Beau - so what do you think is the way forward?
[/quote]

Speaking as a fan,we need Cullum or someone like him to give Roeder the finance to build a proper squad,and by proper I mean one with less loanees.Clearly we can''t carry on and be competitive as we are.However,I do worry for the future of the game itself as the bubble grows.