Sign in to follow this  
ManchesterCanary

Southampton Attendance !

Not even 15000...I know they are not doing well but that''s abysmal for a city of that size...a sign of things to come? Many people predicted our gates would drop significantly if we were doing badly...lack of general optimism and the credit crunch could make this a distinct reality sooner rather than later.

The credit crunch and lack of cash about is going to effect football in a big way in the next 3 or 4 months!

I see the Wigan chairman reckons there is a big adjustment coming in the game!

That figure includes the season ticket holders.The ground holds 30,000 - there was way, way less than that last night.

Given how long it takes to get in and out of St Fairys I’m not surprised.

Last night was absolutely ridiculous, we left on the final whistle, parked on a trading estate close to the ground and didn’t actually get moving back up the M3 until 10.45pm getting home just after 1am.

That ground however big and shinny is simply not good enough and represents the very worst modern football stadium.

wasnt that long ago we used to get gates like that!

Or should that be wont be too long till we get gates like that?!

jas :)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

People were guessing there were about 12,000 there!

[/quote]

Yep, was there with my Southampton supporting mate and he reckoned no more than 12,000.

Mark .Y.

Was talking to a couple of Saints fans on the tube on the way home once back in London. Apparently, up until their last three matches, all gates had been larger than the capicity of the Dell. The most recent three have all been getting lower, and are all less than the Dell''s overall capacity.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Was talking to a couple of Saints fans on the tube on the way home once back in London. Apparently, up until their last three matches, all gates had been larger than the capicity of the Dell. The most recent three have all been getting lower, and are all less than the Dell''s overall capacity.[/quote]

I realise you are just passing on information Matt but I''m not sure that reference to the Dell is relevant to what is occurring at Southampton today. At St. Mary''s they have a capacity of 32,000 and they are attracting little more than 14 -15,000 this season. They dropped out of the Premiership with Norwich and, over the past three seasons, at least made the play-offs on one occasion. Of course, their club has a lot of problems but, to date, given our poor results during that time, Norwich support has been a little more resilient with 90% of capacity being filled versus less than 50% at Southampton. Regardless of what people''s views are on the management of our club, our fans are to be credited for the support level they have provided during this time.

Don''t forget the Lowe factor either, most of them hate the bloke. Up until he came back their attendances were holding up.

Lots of my Saints supporting friends won''t go to SMS all the time he is in charge.

The turmoil caused by boardroom infighting has been horrendous at Southampton. It let Lowe back in the backdoor.

But having said all that, their academy still turn out good players like a sausage factory. Their youth experiment down there will be interesting to keep an eye on. If they can keep them together, and survive this season, they will be a force again, and their dutch coach certainly has them playing attractive football.

Catch them on a good day, and any team will have trouble with their sheer pace.

The corners of the ground are shut so that they do not have to pay business rates on those parts of the ground.

That is desperate.

Major candidate for administration...

Frankly they were there for the taking and any decent team would have steamrollered them last Tuesday. They may have some talented kids but it was only after they went 2 up and they got their tails up that they looked any good. If we had got the first goal we would have won comfortably.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Frankly they were there for the taking and any decent team would have steamrollered them last Tuesday. They may have some talented kids but it was only after they went 2 up and they got their tails up that they looked any good. If we had got the first goal we would have won comfortably.

[/quote]

This is how I saw it too. It was only when we went down to 10 men that they began to look dangerous and that was mainly because we still left players forward and didn''t become defensive like QPR did. Mind you the pen put us two down so we had no choice. In those circumstances a decent team would have gone on to score a few more.

I''ll admit that I''ve always been mildly disgusted by the way some sets of supporters (Leeds, Southampton etc.) abandon their clubs when things start to look bad. I think it''s symptomatic of something I''ve posted elswhere: the amount of supporters who show simply for the day out. This isn''t a bad thing per se, afterall football is a wonderful sport, but if said supporters are in the majority then as soon as football on a Saturday becomes a bit of a drag they aren''t going to show up as their primary interest is having a good time. Once such support vanishes stadiums start to look terribly bare. It''s often a sorry sight. [:(]

[quote user="patred"]

Don''t forget the Lowe factor either, most of them hate the bloke. Up until he came back their attendances were holding up.

Lots of my Saints supporting friends won''t go to SMS all the time he is in charge.

The turmoil caused by boardroom infighting has been horrendous at Southampton. It let Lowe back in the backdoor.

But having said all that, their academy still turn out good players like a sausage factory. Their youth experiment down there will be interesting to keep an eye on. If they can keep them together, and survive this season, they will be a force again, and their dutch coach certainly has them playing attractive football.

Catch them on a good day, and any team will have trouble with their sheer pace.

[/quote]

Perhaps we should put arrdee in charge of our youth academy.