Sign in to follow this  
E I E I E I O

Boards foresight!!!!

Over the past 3 years consider the following:1.  The worst thing to invest in given recent events has been property and land (All time high prices and now crashing)2.  The best thing to invest in has been quality football players (Prices have risen and still are despite a financial crisis to ridiculous levels)During there time in charge our board have invested endless amounts in No 1 and sold all stockholdings of No 2! We now have lots of No 1 on loan (which is worth nothing) and lots of No2 on loan (which is worth nothing!) Is this the most inept financial decision of all time and after all there tact of Prudism investing for the future have we not now dropped one of the biggest clangers of all time? Surely the fastest growing and rapidly rising market of the last 10 years has been football players!!Questions should now be seriously asked and people sacked, I doubt very much though if the owners will be the losers in this as they have actually in hindsight invested in the growing market and could come out with a large profit? The Club can be the only loser in thisbarring a knight in shining armour to stabilise No2 and buy lots of No1 at an all time high price????!!!!thoughts?

So what property and land have the board invested in?

They sold the car park for development.

They leased/sold the land for the hotel development.

When have they invested in either?

I want new investment as much as anyone but get your facts straight.

*THIS TIME WITH PUNCTUATION (I THINK?)Over the past 3 years consider the following:1.  The worst thing to invest in given recent events has been property and land (All time high prices and now crashing)2. 

The best thing to invest in has been quality football players (Prices

have risen and still are despite a financial crisis to ridiculous

levels)During there time in charge our board have invested

endless amounts in No 1 and sold all stockholdings of No 2! We now have

lots of No 1 on loan (which is worth nothing) and lots of No2 on loan

(which is worth nothing!) Is this the most inept financial decision of

all time? After all there tact and Prudism of investing for the future,

have we not now dropped one of the biggest clangers of all time? Surely

the fastest growing and rapidly rising market of the last 10 years has

been football players!!Questions should now be seriously asked

and people sacked, however, I doubt though if the owners will be the

losers in this? They have in hindsight invested in the

growing market and could yet come out with a large profit? The Club will be

the only loser, barring a knight in shining armour to stabilise

No2 and buy lots of No1, at an all time high price????!!!!thoughts?

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]Over the past 3 years consider the following:

1.  The worst thing to invest in given recent events has been property and land (All time high prices and now crashing)

2.  The best thing to invest in has been quality football players (Prices have risen and still are despite a financial crisis to ridiculous levels)

During there time in charge our board have invested endless amounts in No 1 and sold all stockholdings of No 2! We now have lots of No 1 on loan (which is worth nothing) and lots of No2 on loan (which is worth nothing!) Is this the most inept financial decision of all time and after all there tact of Prudism investing for the future have we not now dropped one of the biggest clangers of all time? Surely the fastest growing and rapidly rising market of the last 10 years has been football players!!

Questions should now be seriously asked and people sacked, I doubt very much though if the owners will be the losers in this as they have actually in hindsight invested in the growing market and could come out with a large profit? The Club can be the only loser in thisbarring a knight in shining armour to stabilise No2 and buy lots of No1 at an all time high price????!!!!

thoughts?
[/quote]I think I need a No.2.  [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Snakepit boys"]Over the past 3 years consider the following:

1.  The worst thing to invest in given recent events has been property and land (All time high prices and now crashing)

2.  The best thing to invest in has been quality football players (Prices have risen and still are despite a financial crisis to ridiculous levels)

During there time in charge our board have invested endless amounts in No 1 and sold all stockholdings of No 2! We now have lots of No 1 on loan (which is worth nothing) and lots of No2 on loan (which is worth nothing!) Is this the most inept financial decision of all time and after all there tact of Prudism investing for the future have we not now dropped one of the biggest clangers of all time? Surely the fastest growing and rapidly rising market of the last 10 years has been football players!!

Questions should now be seriously asked and people sacked, I doubt very much though if the owners will be the losers in this as they have actually in hindsight invested in the growing market and could come out with a large profit? The Club can be the only loser in thisbarring a knight in shining armour to stabilise No2 and buy lots of No1 at an all time high price????!!!!

thoughts?
[/quote]I think I need a No.2.  [:S][/quote]

I want a fart, but I don''t know the code number [:|]

Ginge,My only answer is I do not know the ins and outs of the clubs finances, I do however know that we have heard nothing but the words "investing in off-field activities"Now:if these do not include buying property and land etc... then where the hell has the money gone? certainly not on number 2! I percieve 1!!!

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]*THIS TIME WITH PUNCTUATION (I THINK?)

Over the past 3 years consider the following:

During there time in charge our board have invested endless amounts in No 1 and sold all stockholdings of No 2! We now have lots of No 1 on loan (which is worth nothing) and lots of No2 on loan (which is worth nothing!) Is this the most inept financial decision of all time? After all there tact and Prudism of investing for the future, have we not now dropped one of the biggest clangers of all time? Surely the fastest growing and rapidly rising market of the last 10 years has been football players!!

Questions should now be seriously asked and people sacked, however, I doubt though if the owners will be the losers in this? They have in hindsight invested in the growing market and could yet come out with a large profit? The Club will be the only loser, barring a knight in shining armour to stabilise No2 and buy lots of No1, at an all time high price????!!!!

thoughts?[/quote]

You want my thoughts? ok.....You are a tit.

So where did you hear these words?

We have no money -

Off the field activities operate at a profit -

If it wasn''t for Off the field activities we would have less money -

again - where is this property and land we have invested in?

[quote user="Big Ginge"]

We have no money -

[/quote]

£0.9m for Kerrison Rd land from NCC, £2.5m for land from Laurence Scott, £1.5m for roads related to granting of planning permission, plus interest on loans, plus related survey/planning costs etc.  Add to that things like the new pitch, new ticket office, spaces for sport facility which don`t actually provide the club with extra revenue. 

Between 2001 and 2006 £29m was spent on fixed assets- most of that loans.  And where has it got us exactly?

It`s only widespread ignorance such as that displayed by you that is keeping the board in their ivory tower.

Mr Carrow you have hit the nail on the head, "off the pitch" has got us where we are today.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Big Ginge"]

We have no money -

[/quote]

£0.9m for Kerrison Rd land from NCC, £2.5m for land from Laurence Scott, £1.5m for roads related to granting of planning permission, plus interest on loans, plus related survey/planning costs etc.  Add to that things like the new pitch, new ticket office, spaces for sport facility which don`t actually provide the club with extra revenue. 

Between 2001 and 2006 £29m was spent on fixed assets- most of that loans.  And where has it got us exactly?

It`s only widespread ignorance such as that displayed by you that is keeping the board in their ivory tower.

[/quote]

Well done Mr.Carrow.......................I for one agree with the original post....................the whole board wants sacking...................gross mismanagement. Let us just hope that PC comes back and bails the club out. ( Please don''t respond with "he hasn''t made an official offer!" this is board spin for the more simple folk, just because they have not recieved a legal notification of an offer , does not mean that he has not offered the money. I believe that the offer was verbal and declined...............how dare they treat the fans and the club like this ????  Burn them !!

We have no money -

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ignorance?

I''m not the one suggesting the new pitch should be classed as off the field!

No but you are the one denying our illustrious board has invested in any and everything but decent players.

Delia''s only putting her hand in herpacket now because they wasted the money when they had it in the first place.

13 years on from the Chase era and this club has not progressed except in the debt is now has. Well done the Sainted One.

We have no money -

[/quote]

[/quote]And I imagine a large chunk of that £29 Million was spent on on the Jarrold Stand, which we had to build, which also generates money along with the hotel and restaurant etc so perhaps you shouldn''t be so ignorant? Also we kind of need to buy a new pitch, it kinda helps in the game of football!

[quote user="Big Ginge"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Big Ginge"]

We have no money -

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ignorance?

I''m not the one suggesting the new pitch should be classed as off the field!

[/quote]

Evidently comprehension was not a strength of yours at school.

OTBC

[quote user="crafty canary"]

No but you are the one denying our illustrious board has invested in any and everything but decent players.

Delia''s only putting her hand in herpacket now because they wasted the money when they had it in the first place.

13 years on from the Chase era and this club has not progressed except in the debt is now has. Well done the Sainted One.

[/quote]Yep they wasted the money, look how our great club is now in administration and battling with a 10 point deficit, damn our board for wasting our money when we had it. And yes our debt is larger than in the Chase era, but our income is also much larger, but to be honest its probably not worth my time replying to you because I''d probably get better sense out of a brick wall.

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]Ginge,

My only answer is I do not know the ins and outs of the clubs finances, I do however know that we have heard nothing but the words "investing in off-field activities"

Now:

if these do not include buying property and land etc... then where the hell has the money gone? certainly not on number 2! I percieve 1!!!
[/quote]

If you dont know the ins and outs then why start a post about it you bellend?

You make yourself look like a helmet

I am certainly no board apologist, but I do have huge issues with those who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about blindly spouting rubbish.  I can see that good and bad decisions have been made by the club.  Yes they have made mistakes, but anyone/any business will have done in a 10+ year tenure...if anyone tells you otherwise they are talking complete garbage.  With 20:20 hindsight everyone makes perfect decisions - perhaps those who are decrying the board ought to remember this. 

I certainly don''t agree with some of the things that have been done, and cannot say that I am unconcerned about the club''s finances - though that would probably equally be the case whoever I supported.  

Rather than loading up all the recent asset investments in one lump, perhaps it might be an idea to think whether we have anything to show for any of the expenditure/loans.  The answer is definitely yes for a good many: we have the jarrold stand, infills and any improvements to the ground that have been made in the period in question - none of which come cheap; money has also been made (I believe, but don''t have my accounts to hand) from the Catering investment, and also in some of the land/property. 

But it does also have to be said that some of the activities appear not to have much/any apparent benefit and seem to have diverted money away from the most fundamentally important thing which is the playing side of things.

I have to say that one thing that does grate with me is the lack of understanding in many about the need for the club to seek and secure alternative sources of revenue.  The simple fact is that in this day and age no business can rely totally on one income source being as dominant as attendance revenue is for a football club: yes that is the bread and butter, but while it might not sit well, it makes absolutely perfect business sense for the club to try to get income from as many reliable sources as it can, and investment in some assets/infrastructure to deliver these is inevitable.   I for one don''t doubt that whoever comes in would continue much of the off pitch activity - unless they are willing to underwrite huge losses.

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]Over the past 3 years consider the following:

thoughts?
[/quote]

I am not saying you are wrong but the best thing to invest in recently were HBOS and Lloyds PLC as they slumped and then rose a corporate 72 per cent 24 hours later for those of us who thought Gordie couldn''t afford to let either of them collapse.[8-|]

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I am certainly no board apologist, but I do have huge issues with those who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about blindly spouting rubbish.  I can see that good and bad decisions have been made by the club.  Yes they have made mistakes, but anyone/any business will have done in a 10+ year tenure...if anyone tells you otherwise they are talking complete garbage.  With 20:20 hindsight everyone makes perfect decisions - perhaps those who are decrying the board ought to remember this. 

I certainly don''t agree with some of the things that have been done, and cannot say that I am unconcerned about the club''s finances - though that would probably equally be the case whoever I supported.  

Rather than loading up all the recent asset investments in one lump, perhaps it might be an idea to think whether we have anything to show for any of the expenditure/loans.  The answer is definitely yes for a good many: we have the jarrold stand, infills and any improvements to the ground that have been made in the period in question - none of which come cheap; money has also been made (I believe, but don''t have my accounts to hand) from the Catering investment, and also in some of the land/property. 

But it does also have to be said that some of the activities appear not to have much/any apparent benefit and seem to have diverted money away from the most fundamentally important thing which is the playing side of things.

I have to say that one thing that does grate with me is the lack of understanding in many about the need for the club to seek and secure alternative sources of revenue.  The simple fact is that in this day and age no business can rely totally on one income source being as dominant as attendance revenue is for a football club: yes that is the bread and butter, but while it might not sit well, it makes absolutely perfect business sense for the club to try to get income from as many reliable sources as it can, and investment in some assets/infrastructure to deliver these is inevitable.   I for one don''t doubt that whoever comes in would continue much of the off pitch activity - unless they are willing to underwrite huge losses.

[/quote]Superb post Branston Pickle, totally summed up how I feel about the current situation we find ourselves in. I get so angry with people coming on here and moaning about where has the money gone because it hasn''t been spent on the pitch, when they clearly haven''t got a clue what they are talking about. They must think that our new stands where donated to us by Oxfam! The board has made mistakes, nobody is denying that, but they have also done a hell of a lot of good work which they don''t get recognition for, they have laid down foundations to make us a desirable club for a potential investor. The business structure is sound considering that we are operating at a loss, and not many businesses can operate at a loss year in year out, and its not our boards fault we are operating at a loss, its because all of the money is in the Premiership and until they realise that its destroying football and many clubs, then things are only going to get worse.

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Big Ginge"]

We have no money -

[/quote]

[/quote]

And I imagine a large chunk of that £29 Million was spent on on the Jarrold Stand, which we had to build, which also generates money along with the hotel and restaurant etc so perhaps you shouldn''t be so ignorant? Also we kind of need to buy a new pitch, it kinda helps in the game of football!
[/quote]

The projected cost for the Jarrold stand was £8m and the club told us that was largely covered by the £6.2m land sale to TaylorWoodrow.  And we got promoted on the old pitch so i somehow don`t think is was that bad.  Please enlighten me as to how much extra revenue the new pitch and ticket office have generated for the club over the perfectly adequate old ones.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

Do you think investing in quality player getting us to the Prem and getting the millions of pounds that come with promotion qualify as "seek and secure alternative sources of revenue".?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Big Ginge"]

We have no money -

[/quote]

[/quote]

And I imagine a large chunk of that £29 Million was spent on on the Jarrold Stand, which we had to build, which also generates money along with the hotel and restaurant etc so perhaps you shouldn''t be so ignorant? Also we kind of need to buy a new pitch, it kinda helps in the game of football!
[/quote]

The hotel generates NO income for the club. All profits from the hotel goes to paying off the loan taken out by the clubs 2 partners in the deal. The club wont get a penny from the hotel until its sold.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="crafty canary"]

[/quote]

Yep they wasted the money, look how our great club is now in administration and battling with a 10 point deficit, damn our board for wasting our money when we had it. And yes our debt is larger than in the Chase era, but our income is also much larger, but to be honest its probably not worth my time replying to you because I''d probably get better sense out of a brick wall.
[/quote]

so how come, Ellis, all the reports coming from the media are mentioning that darker times loom... the club doesnt just wake up one day and decided to call in the administrators... its something you can spot from a mile off... and we are losing money.. how long do we lose it for before we do call them in?

jas :)

[quote user="BBFF"][quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Big Ginge"]

We have no money -

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The hotel generates NO income for the club. All profits from the hotel goes to paying off the loan taken out by the clubs 2 partners in the deal. The club wont get a penny from the hotel until its sold.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

thats the reason it makes me F****ng angry! why the hell didnt we build a corner infil?

And the excuse about allowing an ambulance access to the stadium in that corner, or to keep fans segregated doesnt wash with me.. theres plenty of enlcosed groudns accross the country that dont suffer from any problems like this!

1 fan spending £3.10 on a pint is better than 1 fan staying in the hotel... the club benefits from the pint, it doesnt from the hotel... a 500 seat infil would of generated income....

jas :)

i know this was a while ago now and im sure im not really supposed to be telling all this but hey ho im many miles away from what i remember from my time at a certain building company in norwich which i worked for for a few years including on the jarrold stand the payment for the stand was paid for by a certain robert carter because he wanted to continue in his fathers and grand fathers foot steps in building a stand for city all the talk was that the taylor woodrow deal would pay for it but carters wouldnt of got the work if this deal wasnt put in place as it goes the stand cost 9 million because of the extra money needed for replacing the pitch which was only done for 2 reasons 1 because we dug up some of the under pitch heating and 2 because the front row seats of the new stand are a good 300mm lower than they should be the total cost to ncfc was well under the 1 mill mark  

Jas I thought we were getting 50% or something like that profit from the hotel? but I do agree that a corner infill would have been better.

Oh and to reply to your earlier question, yes we are losing money, but people seem to think we are unique in this, I think you should read Doncasters report in the EDP today, compared to other clubs in our league we are actually in a much more stable position and I''d imagine we''re much much further away from administration than these clubs are. One thing that baffled me was teams like Blackpool and Burnley only have £3 million debts, but I think it was Sheff Wed who were £50 million in debt, do these teams not spend any money at all or something?

[quote user="BBFF"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

Do you think investing in quality player getting us to the Prem and getting the millions of pounds that come with promotion qualify as "seek and secure alternative sources of revenue".?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST
[/quote]No I see that as a major gamble which could potentially put us in administration or financial ruin, you saw what happened to Leeds, don''t wish it upon Norwich

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="BBFF"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST
[/quote]

No I see that as a major gamble which could potentially put us in administration or financial ruin, you saw what happened to Leeds, don''t wish it upon Norwich
[/quote]

Sorry I thought we were a FOOTBALL club, I must have been mistaken!

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST