Sign in to follow this  
NavMan

Jonson

Just a thought on what everybody thought of the performance of Jonson. If he is to be the most costly Norwich player in history then personally I hope he does not prove to be the most costliest mistake in our history. Of the three times he actually touched the ball yesterday he gave it away on all occasions and was only a spectator as far as I was concerned. Hopefully he still has to settle and can show us why he will cost so much but lets hope that he does not take too much time to do this as we need every player up and running for every game. On another note WLY came on and done a grand job and is just a little reminder to Worthy that he is still around. About time that Leon was given the starting role ahead of Svensson. For me Leon shows much more mobility and caused United a bit of grief with his running both on and off the ball.

still hasnt settled in....

i hope he becomes a shining light for us in the future.

sadly he looked nervous to me and will probably take time to get used to the pace of the game over here

Thought Jonsen and Helvig looked like rabbits caught in headlights and out of their league Serie A or not Edworthy looks a better bet to me with Mcveigh.

im pretty certain jonson will be dropped for mcveigh for the newcastle game. mcveigh looked so much better than jonson, but jonson will get his chance again, against arsenal because of bentley not playing. jonson, was poor yesterday, but so many players take a long time to settle in, so thats why i think he needs to make a few sub appearences before starting another one.

Dragan Muzinic was once our top buy at £650,000 spent by John Bond I believe and what a player he turned out to be, Who?

Jonson has certainly not impressed, lets hope only temporary otherwise we could have problems right side.

As I said after the Palace game part of the reason why Yonson and Bentley looked quiet was that CITY did not look to get them involved in the game. Both work back and positionally looked OK - however the back four and the central pairing rarely made good use of either wide player, which will affect us more as the season goes on if we remain one dimensional. If they are only gettiing infrequent touces then they will also become more anxious to make that good impression ,increasing the chances of an error.

What I havent yet got my head around is why WLY has had such a positive impact in comparison; my suspicion is that he has a greater understanding of where the defensive line, central midfielders and Sven are looking to play the ball. If that is the case then Yonson and Bentley will both improve with more games in the side.

I am confident that Yonson and Bentley will develop into good players for us but both will take time to find their feet.

OTBC

Words fail me! I can''t believe how some "supportes" are so quick to jump on our own players backs.

Jonson only had 4, possibly 5 training sessions with us before the Palace game. Ideally we would then have spent the week working with him. But that didn''t happen. He had to go and join up with the Sweden squad (probably on Sunday) before playing on Wednesay night (playing upfront, scoring a great goal and playing VERY well by all accounts, his pace constantly leaving the Holland defence in trouble). He then returned to Norwich on Thursday, probably not able to do much training due to playing the night before (and travelling back of course). Friday morning he would have been involved in the training before setting off for Manchester later that day. How can you expect him to be at the top of his game against one of the best teams in the country after that? It takes a lot of players (however good they are) a bit of time to get used to the Prem. When you then consider that we as a team are getting used to the Prem at the same time (eg not just 1-2 players coming in and able to be helped along) it is a steep learning curve. Helveg has been involved for longer but he has spent most of his career in Serie A and the Prem will take a bit of adjustment. Helveg of course was also absent from training most of the week, being away with the Danish side, for whom he played in central defence and was captain. Maybe I''m being optimistic but those credentials suggest to me that he is a half-decent player! But of course 2 average games at the start of his Prem career means he isn''t good enough doesn''t it?!

I swear some "supporters" actually want to see our players fail. Both Jonson and Helveg are players of genuine quality, anyone with any sense knows that. Also anyone with any sense would know that it will take a bit of time for them to come into their own. It''s not the lack of ability of the players, its the lack of sense of some supporters as far as I''m concerned. A bit of early season realism combined with a lot of support and we will have two very good players on our hands. Llike I said, Jonson''s pace cut Hollland to pieces. When have we seen that yet? The answer is that we haven''t. Thats quite clearly a reflection on him finding his feet in the Prem and as part of our squad, not a reflection on his ability to play in the Prem.

Only 2 games in. Svenny can''t do anything right, Jonson''s a waste of money, Helveg can only play in Serie A, etc. They must be very grateful for your "support"! Thankfully the majority are behind them.

Apologies to those of you reading my above message who have been supportive of the players. I''ve been reading a lot of adverse comments about Jonson this weekend and when I saw this thread I wanted to vent my splean! Having read through the above comments more carefully here I realise that most are more sympathetic than the others I have read on differene websites which have got me worked up over the issue. Everyone on here wants the best for the club I''m sure.

OTBC

Jonson was awful. Made to look worse by poor distribution from the back (there was not one single passing sequence of note from City in the first half). When he did get it, he fluffed it. Deservedly sub''d. Excuses? Loads of them probably.

Helveg was competent. The experience we are paying for, paid off - that leg he left out was a touch of class in my opinion - Giggs was going by him so why let that happen. More of the same please (well, its your choice: concede a goal or a booking).

Svensson - hmm. Give McKenzie his chance earlier in the match. The way he got that shot in at the left post was superb. His movement and sharpness were desperately needed. Perhaps NW is reluctant to start him as then you only have Svensson/Doc to bring on. Working it the other way gives you maximum impact from McKenzie''s pace.

Francis/Charlton - had very good games.

The rest: oooooooooo we''re at Old Trafford, LOOK THERE''S GIGGS, OOOO AND ROY KEANE. I am only surprised that we didn''t have our autograph books out because our play in the 1st half was weak all round (Bentley attempt aside). Only once we were 2-0 down did we start to relax - ah thats better all makes sense now we''re losing. Or was NW using the rope-a-dope tactics...

To be fair I wasn''t expecting anything from this match, so to come away with our GD down by only one is a blessing that may well count at the end of the season. 1st half we looked like the new boys at school...and we are. Welcome to the Premiership.

PS Thank heavens for all those inaccurate media reviews now, eh posters, we sound as though we really gave them a scare towards the end ??????????!!! [Thanks to Alan Smith too, on that front - a career at the UN awaits]

Mcsncfcmcs :- your reasons for Johnson''s poor performance are indisputable but nevertheless he was poor in both games. In both matches the outcome was predictable beforehand i.e. it was too soon for CP and tired after intnl duty before Man U.
Why then did he start. why not play McVeigh or Brennan instead ?

Thats a fair point. I thought Macca had a very good game against Mallorca right after Jonson signed. I suppose if fit and ready, having Jonson on the right would be our best team and Worthy wanted to give him a go. Whether he plays on Newcastle will be an interesting decision. Perhaps the fact that Bentley won''t be available for the Arsenal game (therefore surely Jonson and Macca will start) might play a part in his decision. Jonson definitely needs some games to help him along, but you obviously have to weigh that against what''s best for the team right now. Perhaps starting with Macca and then bringing Jonson on as a sub (when the oppo players are a bit tired etc) might be the way to go?

We''ll just have to wait and see. Like I said, I can certainly see why Worthy showed faith in Jonson as he is potentially a very good player for us, as his international performances have showed. The good thing about having a decent squad (even if its not the biggest) is that there are other players to call on. Perhaps Jonson has had a chance, and now Macca will get his? I''m sure Jonson will become a good player for us though, and if he is being picked when he is not quite ready then that''s not his fault. The buck stops with Worthy. He makes the decisions and you cannot get it right every time.

Give Jonson a rest and bring him on later in the 2nd half. He is a quality player so give him time. Mckenzie must start against Newcastle, who have Newcastle got in defence to handle his pace? Svensson needs to get fitter, he should have got to that Huckerby cross on Saturday and he looked slow all over. (Don''t get me wrong, he is a good player but these things need to be said.)
Helveg also needs time, it is a different game from Serie A. Faster pace, etc. We will be ok, just remember where we were this time last season!!

I know it wasn''t a quiz question, westoncanary, but this time last year I think we might have been suffering a humiliating defeat at the hands of Northampton Town if my memory serves me right. As you said, remember where we were this time last season! Makes you think, doesn''t it?

Top marks susie b!! Although I didn''t realise that, it makes my point look even better doesn''t it? By the way, you weren''t on "Fanzone" for the United match were you?

Jonson was pretty poor on Saturday but I think we need to give him time to settle in. He''s only been with us a couple of weeks, and was in Sweden for a few of those days! He needs to adapt to the English game and when he does, hopefully soon, he will be an asset to this club.

Keep the faith

I think we''ve got to give him time to settle in to the english game along with helveg, these are players with great experience and skill, they just need time to settle. though I could just say that because my girlfriend is scandanavian and would kill me if I said anything else:)

rich

westoncanary, no I wasn''t on fanzone. Why do you ask? (Was there a blonde midget who knows very little about football on there then?)

I didn''t think it was you to be honest. It was a case of "and it''s back to the Norwich goalie, out to our defender" and so on. And when the dirty manc fan was taking the mickey out of us she said "what did you win last year then?", to which came the obvious answer "apart from the fa cup?". DOH!
I am not having a go, I don''t think I could even sit next to a manc for that long so fair play to her! OTBC

could i just make a huge, huge, huge plea to all real fans out there. PLEASE NO BOOING OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS AGAINST OUR PLAYERS! i''m sure svensson was offput by negative comments against him early on and therefore took a while to settle last season. (eg palace away). the treatment of henderson last season was even more unacceptable. confidence is essential this season and negative comments could unsettle the whole team, not just individual players. i really hope the same doesn''t happen to jonson or helveg. oh, and no half-hearted cheering for particular players either. thats just as bad in my book. i''m sure very few if any people on this board are offenders, but make sure you give any boo boys sitting near you a piece of your mind.